Evilution's 2011 Rebuild - Page 2 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Evilution's 2011 Rebuild
Monday, June 20, 2011 10:35 PM
Updates...boost has happened!!

Didn't update much the last 2-3 weeks, just finished collecting and modifying parts, stripped down the unnessasary stock stuff, and started the install last week. I'm lazy right now, so I'll just copy and paste my post on EF:

Ok, we got a decent amount of tuning time in tonight (and by we I mean I just drive and Ryan works his HPT magic lol). The car has some serious balls on the 3.1 pulley, I'm especially impressed on the amount of torque from a 2nd gear pull..though 1st gear is almost pointless, at 5 psi the tires were spinning.
If I remember correctly, and I'll let Ryan chime in to verify, my IATs hung around 117ish cruising and hit a little over 140-145 on a hard pull (running close to redline). We still have some timing pulled, I think we started off on 15 degrees, but It looks like we'll be addic a few degrees back in tomorrow. Virtually no knock at all, the places where we see some it's so minimal it's barely even on the maps.
We had to initially fool with the PE delay, the afr wasn't dropping quickly enough as I got into boost, and we want to get down there before boost. After a few runs, Ryan got everything dialed in pretty nicely...car has a very smooth transition in and out of boost, temps drop back down to the 120 range very quickly after a hard pull, and the car overall feels great. I'm excited to keep working on the tune tomorrow. There's still a funky idle after boosting, and sometimes the idle initially hands at about 1800rpm, we're assuming the computer just hasn't had a chance to relearn since we're constantly reflashing.

A few progress pics from over the last week or two, I'm not gonna post a ton, as we all know what a supercharger install looks like, lol.

Painted the head, power steering pump, etc. Note, this is a major pain in the ass to do while the motor is IN the car, especially to prep it properly...I was going to skip this since the le61 will be going in this winter, but the exterior surface had tons of oxidation and buildup from when the car was still a DD and I really wanted to get this as clean looking as possible.

I still have a bunch of random bolts/nuts I'd like to replace with SS or anodized ones just to clean things up and keep them nice looking. Mainly anything visible around the head (ps pump nuts, valve cover bolts, etc). This will happen here in there as I get around to it.

Threaded IAT sensor:

Here's the blower and tb bolted up. I still have a lot of clean up to do, the bay looks better than before, but still too messy. I'm gonna do something with the brake booster hose to hide it more, and I'd like to tuck the injector harness up under the rail more, as well as reroute some vac lines.

Temporarily mounted the catch can where the air box used to drop into the fender. I don't like it here, but I did it to save time so we could get the car running. I will be picking up the Metco oil cap adapter, then T-ing that and an AN hose from the valve cover to the can, at which point I'll relocate and mount the can. I'd like to mount it up by the radiator under the cross bar, so it's out of sight, but still easily accessible for draining. I may temporary drill a hole in the cap so the system can actually vent, as I realize now all the pcv system is doing is pushing out the VC port while boosting:

I still have a few odds and ends to address, mainly cleaning and organizing. As long as the weather nice later this week I'd like to wash down and clean the whole bay thouroughly, maybe reroute a few lines.
Once we're done tuning, it's on to body work and paint. I'm relocating the gas filler and mooting a meth tank with the filler neck in the trunk jam, shaving the antenna, swapping in Malibu door handles, gmx side skirts, then repainting. At that point I can call the car finished, at least for the time being, lol.

...and my favorite pic

More to come!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:15 AM
Yep, the car's a blast! It's tuned super safe right now, but still pulls hard. Ambient temps were around 70*F, cruising IAT's were around 115-125*F, and max we saw during an extended pull was ~145*F. That's impressive for the very minimal degree of cooling mods done at the moment. It can only get better from here!

And you never have to worry about your car stalling out with the massive LS1 TB and it's equally massive IAC valve.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:40 AM
oldskool wrote:Yep, the car's a blast! It's tuned super safe right now, but still pulls hard. Ambient temps were around 70*F, cruising IAT's were around 115-125*F, and max we saw during an extended pull was ~145*F. That's impressive for the very minimal degree of cooling mods done at the moment. It can only get better from here!

And you never have to worry about your car stalling out with the massive LS1 TB and it's equally massive IAC valve.

I'm anxious, knowing how hard it pulls now, to see what it does with some timing put back in. Meatcake Tuning FTMFW!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:35 AM
congrats

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:47 PM
Looks like I have a starter problem now to deal with. I'm hoping it's just the trigger wire that sends power from the selonoid to the start motor, but I have a feeling something is sticking open. I went to start the car today and got nothing, acted like a 100% dead battery (battery has been moved to trunk). I checked and had good voltage at the battery and battery side of my inline breaker, no voltage on the side of the breaker that feeds the starter/fuse box/etc. I pulled the breaker and just temporarily linked the two ends together, and as soon as I connect the battery, the car starts cranking on its own. If the clutch is then pressed and the ignition turned, car fires right up and runs fine, I was hoping this would unstick the starter, but when we keyed off, it continued trying to crank. When the car is running, there is no indication of the starter staying fully engaged (ie grinding on the flywheel), I think the motor is just getting constant power from the selonoid and is spinning.
I'm guessing either the trigger wire that sends power from the selonoid into the starter motor overheated and fused against and is constantly charging it, or the selonoid is just malfunctioning and the starter needs to be replaced.
I also pulled the starter relay and the start would still try to crank when the battery was connected, so it seemed it was being bypassed and led me to the conclusion that the stater has to be getting a constant charge. Also pulled the clutch selector switch and verified it has continuity. I'm temporarily ruling out any other typical electrical problems since the car does start and run fine once you turn the ignition.
Hopefully tomorrow I can limp the car into the garage and get it on some jack stands and check out the starter, but if anyone has any idea/suggestions in the meantime it'd be appreciated.

Other than that, here is the current set up, incase anyone was curious:
Bone stock L61
M62 with 3.1" pulley
LS1 Throttle Body w/ Tinkle's TB adapter
60# Siemens injectors
Cobra h/e & stock endplate
AEM wideband
HPT Meatcake Tuned

I think my next set of upgrade will be a dual pass system with a ZZP S3 h/e and meth/water cooling. I'd also like to swap out my stock coolant surge tank for something a bit smaller to clean things up, as well as needing to hook up an actual resevior to the h/e system...I just used the stock cobalt filler neck for now, just to get things up and running. I'm also going to look at fabbing some intake pipe so I can move my air filter into the fender.
I'll probably sticking with the 3.1 pulley until I swap in the le61 this winter, then I may pulley down to a 2.9, after that I have a feeling my next pulley will have a TVS attached to it, lol

Monday, June 27, 2011 10:32 PM
Ok, some quick minor updates.

Got the starter swapped and problem solved. I think for peace of mind though, I'm going to rebuild the solenoid on my original unit then swap it back in. The starter I just swapped in has around 90k on it, which isnt far behind my original. Next problem we encountered was a bit more scary one, lol...
We were out tuning, went to do a pull, and around 5500 rpm we started smelling mass amounts of fuel. I got off the highway as quick as I could, and by the time I got pulled over the car was already trying to sputter off. Popped the hood and found a ridiculous amount of fuel dumping from injector #2 and all over the manifold, blower, etc. Once everything died down and stopped boiling off we got the rail off and found that the injector got unseated from the rail so fuel was just dumping right of the fuel rail port. We swapped the stock injector clips on and that seems to have remedied it. That was Friday night, we spent the rest of the night tuning and I had the car out all weekend with no problem.

As far as tuning, we added another degree of timing back in, bringing me up to 16*. we're still playing with idle, the ls1 tb wants to throttle a bit higher, we're gonna see how much we can lower it and still have it cooperate, righ now I'm surging between 1000-1050ish. We would have tuned more since then, but Sunday i started noticing some problems boosting, hangs at about 5-6 psi, between me and Tinkles our guess is that the bypass valve is failing. I'm going to data log as soon as possible and as long as we don't find anything off in the tune, I'm putting my money on the bypass valve actuator.
Which by the way, if anyone has a spare bpv actuator that's in known working condition, let me know. If not, I guess I'll just be ordering a zzp unit on payday.

Other than that, I lightly dug into the exterior. I gave my headlamps a long needed cut and buff, they were getting so oxidized and scratched they were barely transparent anymore:

Next step is to relocate the gas filler, shave the filler door and antenna, weld in my new door handles, pull some minor dings and dents, then start prepping for paint. I still need to fit the GMX skirts, as well as finish up my new from bumper.

Oh, and since we all love the old "built not bought" argument...

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 5:25 AM
Love it tryin to come up this week to see it an do some mods to the cash cav i'll txt ya

z28guy(KGM BEOTCH)
Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:21 AM
Can't wait to see the finished product (skirts on and painted).

Oh and Sam, is that really your new sig or is that a Jeffie special? lol

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:17 PM
car sounds like its gonna suck up babies!
and thanks for coming up friday sam! ya big jerk!

Thursday, December 29, 2011 7:31 PM
I think something is missing...

Moar to come.

Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:34 PM
Ported lsj head, over sized valves, supertechs, and blower cams?

Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:52 PM
I was thinking wipers and wires. But I might be over looking things.

Friday, December 30, 2011 4:54 AM
Gettin head from oldskool?

z28guy(KGM BEOTCH)
Friday, December 30, 2011 6:08 AM
z28guy wrote:Gettin head from oldskool?

lmao good one haha.

dam and only two weeks before race wars too wtf man hahahaha

Friday, December 30, 2011 7:49 AM
JUCNBST wrote:Ported lsj head, over sized valves, supertechs, and blower cams?

Close. I am on the look out for an LSJ head which will I'll be mating with the LE5 block. For now, I have Oldskool's old L61 head cut for oversized valves.

I'm repainting the whole car (color change), so I figured while I was pulling the head and some various other things, I may as well get the bay sprayed awhile. So yesterday we got all the accessories removed, pulled the wiring harness, and popped off the stock head. I've been trying to track down a 00-02 LD9 harness to swap in, so far with no luck. If I can find one by the time I paint the bay and reassemble, that will be going in, if not, then the stock harness goes back in til I can find one.
I am going to clean things up a bit when putting it all back together, wiring is my main concern. I'm probably going to move the fuse box, and get rid of some of things I don't need any longer, such as the extensions for the AC compressor and condenser lines. I'd also like to replace the stock coolant bottle, I've been trying to figure out a way to run the Cobalt/Ion bottle, but it's not quite fitting where I want it to...may have to just have an aluminum tank made up for that and my heat exchanger tank.

Head is all assembled and ready to go. Very mildly ported L61 head (more or less just cleaned up the casting flaws, gasket matched the intake side, and polished the exhaust ports and combustion chambers. +1mm SS valves, Supertech 78lb springs, and Comp Stage 3 cams. I also drilled and tapped the intake bolt holes for m8 bolts. I've been using shoulder bolts til now, but with throwing the spacer in I'm getting leary of the weight moving further back on the bolt, and shoulder bolts don't have as long of threads as I'd like.

New valve cover. Shaved the cast in "ridges" and added two -8an fittings for PCV.

Phenolic head to mani spacer

I finally picked up a baffled catch can so I can ditch the eBay piece of $&it.

Ditched the mechanical Autometer in favor of an AEM digital boost gauge

And she'll now be getting the good stuff when it comes to oil

ZZP S3 heat exchanger coming soon.

Still some odds and ends to take care of. I shaved the top of the blower where the Cobalt's other IAT sensor goes to make a little extra hood clearance with the spacer, and I have a little finish work to clean it up. I also have to pick up my endplate and throttle body from my welder. Added a 3rd hose barb to the endplate to make a dual pass, and I had the air pass hole in the throttle body (LS1) plugged.

Also starting to dig into the body work...still have some dings and dents to remove, and a couple weeks ago I moved the gas filler into the trunk jam and shaved the lid:

Also, if anyone needs any A/C components, come get them. The condenser, dryer can, and the line under the rad support are all good. I had to cut the one line from the firewall as it was pretty corroded.

I think that's it for now, should have more updates soon. Hopefully today or tomorrow I'll have the engine bay cleaned up and prepped, and crossing my fingers to have it painted by the end of the weekend. After that the new head goes in, then everything else. Progress after that will be dictated by the weather. If the weather stays clear we'll get it out and tuned so I can get some drive time in, but if it looks like the snow is gonna start for the season, then she stays in the garage and and I'll get started right into finishing the body work and repainting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, December 30, 2011 12:44 PM

Friday, December 30, 2011 11:16 AM
00-02 LD9 harness you say? what would you want to pay for said wiring harness? Local yard has a 00 z24 with a blown motor. I can look into it if your interested.
Friday, December 30, 2011 11:40 AM
Jordan wrote:00-02 LD9 harness you say? what would you want to pay for said wiring harness? Local yard has a 00 z24 with a blown motor. I can look into it if your interested.

Well at my local yard I can pull a harness for $40. So if that yard's price is close, I'd be interested. I'd pay for shipping and throw you a few extra bucks for your time pulling it. Is it 5 speed? 5spd with NO ABS or cruise is ideal, though I can live with the abs and cruise. My main concern is that the harness be completely unmolested as I don't want to fool around with re-soldering on various connectors.

If you can look into it'd be much appreciated.

Friday, December 30, 2011 2:36 PM
Why would you swap to an LD9 harness? Also, ALL 00-02 J bodies came with ABS.

Friday, December 30, 2011 3:36 PM
How exactly did you smooth the valve cover? I would keep all that ac stuff as you might want it further down the road.... I did and its expensive....

Friday, December 30, 2011 4:21 PM
gtpsunfire wrote:Why would you swap to an LD9 harness? Also, ALL 00-02 J bodies came with ABS.

Speed density tuning.

jason norwood wrote:How exactly did you smooth the valve cover? I would keep all that ac stuff as you might want it further down the road.... I did and it's expensive...

I just laid some TIG welds down the contours, the finished it with a skim coat of filler. If you don't access to someone who can weld aluminum, you could probably use some JB putty..stuff dries pretty hard and adheres well.

As for the AC stuff, I thought about keeping it, but realistically this car will never be a DD again. If i ever remove the performance mods, it's because the car is totaled, lol.

Friday, December 30, 2011 4:49 PM
Well i know the car is an auto, not 5 speed, and from what i saw looking at it, its completely stock, nothing had been messed with that I have seen. This guy runs his own private salvage yard so prices can vary but hes way cheaper than any of the big U pulls. And I only mention that the motor is blown cause he wouldn't sell parts off a running motor if somebody would like the motor ya know... If ya want it, granted its an auto, i'll call him bout it tomorrow.

Friday, December 30, 2011 5:52 PM
Yea if you can get me a price that'd be great. PM me what you find out, thanks.

Saturday, December 31, 2011 5:58 AM
Wow, that valve cover looks tasty! I'm very much looking forward to the combination of cams/head/blower.

Saturday, December 31, 2011 6:36 AM
hey matt how much would you charge to do a valve cover like that with painting it too!!

Modding my j since I found the org
Saturday, December 31, 2011 9:22 AM
alejandro davila wrote:hey matt how much would you charge to do a valve cover like that with painting it too!!

You have a PM sir

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search