Relocated the ECU - Page 3 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Relocated the ECU
Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:37 PM
Xplicit wrote:Alright,
so relocating the ECU cleans up part of the tower,
but what about the other one there? That is the Cruise Control right?
Where have you guys relocated that to?

hehe. i know. i know.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:44 PM
s1lver_N1p wrote:
Xplicit wrote:Alright,
so relocating the ECU cleans up part of the tower,
but what about the other one there? That is the Cruise Control right?
Where have you guys relocated that to?

hehe. i know. i know.

i do i do mine is in the same place

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:44 PM
s1lver_N1p wrote:

hehe. i know. i know.

Okie dokie then....

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:51 PM
Is that it on the right side?
http://i44.tinypic.com/280k3yp.jpg

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 7:56 AM
Xplicit wrote:Is that it on the right side?

that's the wiper motor.
paul (arrival_04_eco) and i have ours right under the dash in the upper left foot side.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:02 AM
I don't have cruise

" To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous. "
Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:32 PM
i took my cruise unit out

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:40 PM
s1lver_N1p wrote:
Xplicit wrote:Is that it on the right side?

that's the wiper motor.
paul (arrival_04_eco) and i have ours right under the dash in the upper left foot side.

BOOO
I figured that is what it was.

So has anybody relocated the Cruise to under the cowl too?
Pretty much the same process no?

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:48 PM
Skunk - Now With Petey wrote:Underdash = stagnant air. It is a computer, just like your laptop or desktop pc it should have airflow. This is why I was so resistant to putting it under the dash. GM puts it where it has airflow on ALL vehicles, whether it actually needs airflow or not I do not know, but all of them have it so I would think maintaining that would be a good thing.

they dont really get hot at all. ive driven over 10 hours in a day in the hot summer without issues, they put them in the engine bay for a reason. to keep things close. they dont care about keeping the engine bay clean. its more convient, more cheap and more easy to access if they need to replace it. id bet money that my interior isn't hotter then the engine bay even while driving. not to mention just seems allot easier then under the wiper cowl. you dont need to do any drilling, no removing the wipers, its just allot simpler process. honestly you can do it either way but if the goal is to just to clean up your engine bay seems easier to do the simple solution versus a time involved solution.

as for the cruise, mines more stealth since its mounted on my workbench lol but it can also be mounted under the dash and ran without issues, just have to be a little creative with your mounting point.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:53 PM
Well I would rather not run them into the car as I would prefer to not have extra stuff in the interior,
I am wanting to do this to clean up the bay a bit as well as I am going to be picking up the Vert strut bar so might as well tackle both problems at once right?

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:58 PM
Xplicit wrote:Well I would rather not run them into the car as I would prefer to not have extra stuff in the interior,
I am wanting to do this to clean up the bay a bit as well as I am going to be picking up the Vert strut bar so might as well tackle both problems at once right?
\

yep might as well get it done. really does clean the bay up. but your not taking up any additional space, the spot your putting the ecu into is empty and hidden behind a plastic panel, its just wasted space.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:59 PM
That was my thought too.
So pretty much run the CC the same way right?
Or do you see any complications in putting it in there too?

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:27 PM
think chris just zipp tied his to the metal supports under the dash right in front of the opening for the grommet, its a tight fit but you can get it up there. ive got my fuse box that was origonally in the engine bay strapped up under the dash and i will still have room for the cruise so you should have no problem.

Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:09 AM
sndsgood wrote:think chris just zipp tied his to the metal supports under the dash right in front of the opening for the grommet, its a tight fit but you can get it up there. ive got my fuse box that was origonally in the engine bay strapped up under the dash and i will still have room for the cruise so you should have no problem.

So that's where you put the fuse block lol.

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Friday, May 29, 2009 1:14 PM
Thank you jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My wiper arms had me cussing!
Saturday, May 30, 2009 11:39 AM
Just a quick question, did anyone have a problem with thier car running really rough after moving the ECU? When I start my car, it idles at 900-1000 rpm (normal), but it runs extremely rough. I made sure everything is connected, but problem persists. ???? It almost seems like it's down on two cylinders. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Saturday, May 30, 2009 4:05 PM
What else were you working on when you relocated the ECU? Did you happen to disconnect the O2 sensor in the exhaust? Probably unlikely, but it's the only thing I can think of within that region of the engine bay that may have that effect. Just relocating it on its own wouldn't have this effect... damaging the ecu itself may have caused it, by letting it take a hard hit by dropping it or something.

Are you noticing any smoke or anything, or is it just a rough idle?

Saturday, May 30, 2009 5:08 PM
I didn't go underneath the car. I did however disconnect the PCM before disconnecting the battery, perhaps thats to blame. I have sufficient fuel flow, but I did a spark plug check on all cylinders and I noticed that cylinders 1 and 4 aren't getting any spark. I didn't drop it or anything like that. I've doulbe and triple checked the connectors, and everything is connected properly. I had a really bad exhaust leak about a week ago and I fixed it and replaced the O2 sensor. Maybe the coil was somehow damaged in the process. And no smoke, just a really rough idle and I can smell fuel. Like I said, my O2 sensor went out and I know what that idle feels like, not near as bad as this. My best guess is the coil. Any ideas?
Sunday, May 31, 2009 1:44 PM
not sure if disconnecting the pcm with the battery was still conected could do that or not. possible i guess . always unplug the battery before you mess with any car electronics, even if its something dumb and simple.

Friday, September 25, 2009 1:43 AM
SS-J wrote:

go ahead and print this next bit off

Ia.open your hood
Ib.disconnect negative battery terminal

IIa. unscrew and remove wiper blades
IIb. remove wiper motor cover (5 or so push clips)
IIc. pull out small rubber filler (aka "miniRINOASS")
IId. with a knife open up the rubber hole to allow the ECU plug connections to pass through (careful knifes are sharp)
IIe. with a hack saw open up the metal hole that the "miniRINOASS" was covering up also to allow ECU plugs to pass through (careful hacksaws can kill)
IIf. using a pliers pry open the hole (careful pliers can pinch skin causing dramatical amounts of pain)

IIIa.disconnect ECU from stock location
IIIb.disconnect the 2 connections from ECU
IIIc. carefully feed the 2 connections through the "miniRINOASS" (careful here, as this is made of rubber and can break easily)
IIId. carefully feed the 2 connections through the metal hole (that should be opened up enough from steps IIe-IIf )

IVa. decide on a good point to mount the ECU
IVb. using a marker mark a place where a hole can be drilled
IVc. drill the hole (careful drills can make irreversible holes in both your can and your or somebody else's body)
IVd. re connect the 2 connection into the ECU
IVe. now using a bolt and nut (or zip ties work as a good substitute if no bold and nut are available) mount the ECU

Va. reconnect the "miniRINOASS"
Vb. reconnect the wiper motor cover (the 5 or so push clips)
Vc. re attack wiper blades
Vd. re connect negative terminal
Ve. close your hood

IF THIS POST DOESN'T CLEARLY HELP YOU OUT OR GIVE YOU THE CONCEPT OF HOW TO DO THIS PM ME.

sorry to bring an old post back. i recently bought the Gm strut bar. I need to do the relocating and this bit i quoted is very helpful. but pictures would be great! thanks

Friday, September 25, 2009 10:16 AM
What exactly do you need pictures of, it's pretty easy to do man. If you get started, and run into problems just PM me or post here and I'm sure someone can walk you through it. I have a few pictures but nothing really step by step.

The hardest parts (for me anyway), were actually getting the wiper motor cover out (the black plastic cover near your windshield) and taking the windshield wiper arms off.

For the wiper motor cover, once you take the little push pins out, you kind of have to finesse the thing to get the cover to come off. The black seal around the front windshield prevents it from coming, so you need to keep trying from different angles. You have to bend the plastic a bit on the wiper motor cover, but not too much - it's just plastic and I'd hate to see you snap it.

The wiper arms were also a nuisance, but I didn't know how to do it so that was my only problem. All you have to do is push down on the arm, you'll feel it go down towards the window. Without pushing down here, you could pull until you're blue in the face but the wiper arm just will not come. You need to push the arm down with your left hand, and then at the same time use your right hand hand to pull the entire wiper straight up at the spindle.

Just trust me, it all sounds complicated in text, but once you get started it's cake. PM or reply if you have problems.

Friday, September 25, 2009 10:25 AM
i appreciate it. im gonna work on it next week so i will keep everyone updated

Friday, September 25, 2009 10:40 AM
such a clean engine bay, KUDOS to you my friend

Saturday, February 27, 2010 12:55 PM
deff doing this soon. been meaning to get around to it.

Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:02 PM
ok, i did this today, and i love how much it cleaned up the bay(ignore dirty bay, i have'nt cleaned winter off of it yet.) onto my next question, the other module with the bracket on it by the passenger side strut tower. i'm assuming that's cruise control. well mine's not working anymore, not sure y and honestly don't care. so my question is can i just remove it all together without any negative effects? any help is appreciated.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search