Transporter's 1SV Build Thread - Page 2 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Transporter's 1SV Build Thread
Monday, August 22, 2011 9:28 AM
My guess is yours is slightly heavier than mine because of the Auto trans. Something interesting, if I sit my 300lb fat ass in the trunk of this 1SV with the pro kit it brings ride height down to where my Z sat on the exact same struts and springs. I don't believe GM's fully loaded Z numbers. And how could a Z and an LS Sport weight the same when one has a cast iron block and the other an aluminum block?

Once I get my Z back on the road I'll just have to stop at a set of scales.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.

Monday, August 22, 2011 9:32 AM
Mine was 2680 without me in it.

As for the cruise, I bought mine, its an aftermarket, independent, but still uses the same turn signal arm as factory. Wont even notice its there or aftermarket.

Monday, August 22, 2011 9:49 AM
As model wents on since 1995, J bodies were being decontent to make a higher profit while MSRP went up. From less wheel well insulation, to smaller lighter tanks, to less creature comforts inside insulation, smaller cut pile carpet. etc. GM's number is dry weight. And all though the Eco has an aluminum block, it is still a top heavy DOHC design. Going from iron to aluminum block on 4 cyl will net you a loss about 30-40 lbs max. Remember 2003 cars carry a beefier chassis and engine cradle, has more crash cushioning in the cabin, bigger and heavier rear drum brakes and FE2's has a thicker rear bar, all contributes to the extra weight that (could) of offseted some of the weight saved from the engine.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Monday, August 22, 2011 11:05 AM
Quote:

Don't be, the quad will rise again!

Hmm... quad swap into a 1SV?

Now I like the way your talking!!!

Quote:

I'm interested to try the Eco out, I've never really had anything against them, but first impressions have me thinking it doesn't have the low end torque my quad does. That could just be the stock intake and exhaust though.

The eco is lacking on the torque compared to a Quad.

Quote:

Not sure yet, we'll see how the next week goes, it's still on the original clutch, so engagement is at the top 2" of throw, which makes driving it interesting, but it still seems to hold just fine. The only thing I'm going to miss on this car is cruise control, so I might be swapping that in soon.

That engagement is normal for a Getrag setup. Took me some getting use to when I first got my 01, but love it now. quick jab to shift gears is nice!

FU Tuning

Monday, August 22, 2011 12:08 PM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:That engagement is normal for a Getrag setup. Took me some getting use to when I first got my 01, but love it now. quick jab to shift gears is nice!

Really? Thats grood and bad to hear, haha

Looks like I'll have to work on my foot work, I've been meaning to start learning left foot breaking anyway. My left foot has terrible dexterity.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Monday, August 22, 2011 7:56 PM
500 pounds lighter?!?!?!!? there is no way ur z24 is 3300 pounds with you in it.... it wouldnt have ran 15's that heavy with that stock motor, man. lol

my "stripper" 97 z weighed 2900 with my (at the time) 300 pound ass bone ef'n stock with absolutely no weight reduction. that means it weighed in at 2600 without me.... STOCK.

a pretty much gutted z24 with no roll cage weighs around 2300.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:01 PM
Stripper? As in no power options?

Crappy picture, but you get the idea...

I've just been trying to generally clean up the car, stupid little things that bug the hell out of me an no normal person thinks of.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:19 PM
i like it.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:17 PM
yep, nothing... not even rear defrost or cruise control LOL

it does have the tilt wheel, full z24 package, and ac though....

Saturday, August 27, 2011 8:12 PM
I replaced a strut mount today that had a broken bolt, figured I should have all three before I AutoX the car, haha.

And a quick pic of the underbody, minus the front subframe its in really nice shape.

I also changed the oil today, I'm not a big fan of the Eco oil filter cartridge, it seems to me like they were trying to fix something that wasn't broken. What they ended up with is an overly expensive and complicated solution that is a pain to use and has no benefits from a normal filter... oh well...

AutoX in the morning with the BMW club, its non competitive but at least I'll get an idea of how the car is going to react at the next FLR event.

Saturday, August 27, 2011 10:19 PM
Ya that filter idea sucks, but then again changed the oil in an E46 M3 with an injen intake.... I don't wanna try but its coming up :/

That underbody looks great! I need an Eco subframe too... But not cause of cancer

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Saturday, August 27, 2011 10:40 PM
por15 and under coat that thing so it stays that way. to me i love the filter on the eco. 10 mins and oil is changed and no mess. just a tip also drain the pan then change the filter. that way there is no oil in the filter and no mess. also a 6" extention and eco filter socket makes those a cake walk.

Sunday, August 28, 2011 6:16 AM
God I would love to por15 the underside of my car

Sunday, August 28, 2011 12:44 PM
Who doesn't drain the pan before changing the filter? Either way it doesn't matter, the filter is above the pan. It came out easy enough, but not any easier than a normal filter. And people keep saying no mess, I'd rather some oil drain down the side of my block than across my intake.

Sunday, August 28, 2011 1:11 PM
never had any issues with the oil filter on my eco, like mrthompson said with a good sized extension those things are cake to change, i've never spilled any oil on my intake.

btw, nice looking new ride bud.

Sunday, August 28, 2011 7:50 PM
sounds like operator error... mine always comes out clean as well. :p

Sunday, August 28, 2011 9:24 PM
another clean one here when i had my stock intake now i have to loosen it from the top after taking the charge pipe off, then get under the car and reach up and pull it out to the bottom. Still clean as a whistle

I would say dont forget to remove the stock intake crap and the bong that goes down into the bumper. its ugly and huge.

Friday, September 02, 2011 7:46 PM
A new cluster from Spence showed up yesterday, and I picked up a couple B pillars, a radio wiring harness and a K&N filter at the junkyard today.

Before all the fun...

The aftermarket GM connector I picked up to wire my radio in ended up being pinned incorrectly, so I had to re-pin it

And the new cluster with a working tach

GM was nice enough not to include a switched power in the radio harness, so I get to add one tomorrow. Then I should have a radio that will actually play CD's.

Sunday, September 04, 2011 12:45 AM
A pair of 9007 Nokya 2500K halogens showed up today, so I pulled both headlights and installed them. I'll have to see if I can get a decent picture of them at night. Much better then stock, but not quite what my HID's were. I'm contemplating wrapping the headlights in yellow Lamin-x, I like the yellow lamps with burnt orange.

I also threw my Red Top into the car, its way to expensive of a battery to let sit around all winter, and I installed a freshly cleaned K&N filter I found at the junkyard for $5.

How it sits, I might relocate the ECU soon, it depends on how bored I get, haha

Sunday, September 04, 2011 4:56 AM
find yourself a vert bar buddy, and polish up that valve cover. it's certainly comin together

Sunday, September 04, 2011 8:46 AM
I'm probably going to throw the front and rear strut bars from the red car on it for the time being. I"ve only ever found 2 vert bars in the 4 years I've had the car. I shouldn't have sold my second to JMarks, haha

Sunday, September 04, 2011 9:36 AM
I've got an extra one if ya want it

Monday, September 05, 2011 5:53 AM
the aftermarket bars don't like to play nice with the factory airbox if memory serves me correctly. it'll fit but it's tight.

glad the cluster worked out for ya.

Monday, September 05, 2011 6:51 AM
Good to know, I'm getting a GM bar though so I should be set.

Monday, September 05, 2011 8:41 PM
Transporter7220 wrote:I'm probably going to throw the front and rear strut bars from the red car on it for the time being. I"ve only ever found 2 vert bars in the 4 years I've had the car. I shouldn't have sold my second to JMarks, haha

Its being put to good use!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search