96 Turbocharged Z24 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
96 Turbocharged Z24
Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:34 PM
Here's a start anyway...
This is the 4th Cavalier I've owned, but the first for some real upgrades other than lowering springs and wheels. It's been a while since I've had a "fun" car (6 years). I was going to get a 2003 Evo, but that deal went sour. So I called up my dad and asked if he had any Cavaliers laying around (our family loves em). Sure enough...he bought this little diamond in the rough a little bit ago for a cool $450. He had bought it since it was so cheap and had planned on it being his project, but later decided he wanted a newer model.

So I sent him a check to buy the car and some project starter money. Ya see...I'm currently in Korea for the military. But my time here is drawing to a close, so it's time to get this thing going. The plan is for my dad to get started on it, and then I'll visit when I'm done here to help finish up. Of course, by finish up I mean get it road worthy...I'll probably never be done with upgrades and repairs. My profile is up to date as far as parts and mods are concerned. For the most part all the parts are either at my dad's shop already or are on their way in the mail. Feel free to leave any comments or suggestions.

Front View. Not sure if I want to modify the front bumper for more air flow or not. I like how it sits now.

Drivers Side. Can you tell the motor is out of it with that 7" gap between the tires and fender lol. The paint is not terrible, but a paint job will get done at some point. Already got my new 17" wheels for it, too.

Up on jack stands in the shop.

Dirty interior for now. The carpet is so bad I ordered a new piece. And YES, I am staying with the beige! This is one of the only things that will be somewhat unique about my car. I know graphite is the norm and that a bunch of people have swapped beige for graphite, but I'm not. I went back and forth on the swap myself, but it's staying and it's gona be clean and smooth once it's done.

The engine bay is a little dirty too, but nothing a little cleaning can't fix.

Here's the LD9 motor. Right now it's actually in pieces. Getting some good stuff back from the machine shop very soon My dad also has an ECO motor that I considered swapping in, but I decided to stay with the 2.4 and I'm very happy I did.

Intercooler...

Garrett T3/T04E 57 trim .63 a/r turbine Turbo. Slightly used from jmarks82.

3" Borla Turbo muffler.

As I said, this thread is a start for my project. More info and pics will follow!

2004 Cavalier Sedan

Re: 96 Turbocharged Z24
Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:01 AM
im intrigued in the build....i await more updates

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:11 AM
Its a good start. I really hope this isnt a project that goes by the wayside.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:41 AM
I see your the Guy who's gonna be moving to the springs soon, I'm excited to have another boosted J in CO that's on here. I'm sure from the regional forum you can tell there aren't alot of us lol. From what your build consists of I would say you'll be the fastest J in the state, unless there's one hiding somewhere I've never seen. Good luck with the build, ill be watching

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 6:20 AM
gtpsunfire wrote:Its a good start. I really hope this isnt a project that goes by the wayside.

Don't worry I'm not a flake lol

ecotecpower- Yup that's me. I'm looking forward to Col Springs! As far as the fastest J in the state...I guess we'll see

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:57 AM
Nice, can't wait to see all the progress!

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:37 AM
wow that brings back memories of my white z... lol

good luck, sir!

Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:06 AM
Thanks all. I should have some new pics next week.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:08 PM
Good choice on the Borla, I have an XR-1 on my car and love it
Friday, October 21, 2011 7:01 AM
Wow very nice!!!

Didn't see any difference of fender gap with engine out though.
Monday, October 24, 2011 1:40 PM
Enjoy the turbo!!

Monday, October 24, 2011 4:50 PM
jmarks82 wrote:Enjoy the turbo!!

x2, I really miss my turbo setup, moreso than the S/C. I am looking forward to more progress !

Monday, October 31, 2011 6:05 PM
Alright, here are a few updates and pictures. Things are still moving kind of slow right now, but they will pick up. Over the next few weeks this thing will really start to take shape.

Auto Meter Ultra-Lite gauges. They look dark and sort of blurry in the pic sorry.

That's my dad and the 3" Magnaflow high flow cat.

MSD goodies!

Those boxes under the table are only just some of my parts

More in the trunk...

New carpet! Chevy wanted over $500 for a replacement piece. This was much less expensive, and we only have to cut a few holes. It is molded for this specific car though.

Drilled and slotted rotors. Nothing too fancy. Just stock size.

Another shot of the engine bay, but with the strut bar running across.

Installing front Tokico HP Blues. Will have final pics after things look all pretty.

And rear Tokicos.

More updates and pics to follow. Soon we'll be getting to the really good stuff like motor, turbo, wheels, ect...

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Monday, October 31, 2011 6:09 PM
Spending some money!! I'm jealous

Monday, October 31, 2011 6:09 PM
i like where this is going, keep up the good work bud

Monday, October 31, 2011 6:16 PM
I like this

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 1:03 AM

Call me weird.... but I've always liked the 95-99 Z24's best in plain white. Just slightly lower than stock and about 50% more power than stock would be a perfect DD for me. Good luck on the project.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 5:35 AM
Love it, REAL @!#$ goin on here!

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, November 01, 2011 6:28 AM
o snap someone is dropping cheddar on parts it appears......subscribed

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 6:38 AM
damn you got ur work cut out for you! you're pulling a joe schulte, whole car done in 6 months LOL

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Tuesday, November 01, 2011 4:34 PM
Thanks for the comments guys! We want to put the motor together this Saturday, but that will depend on if the Eagle rods show up in time. Might have to wait another week. Here are a few more pics though.

Melling Oil Pump

A pillar triple gauge pod. Been thinking about painting it beige to match the interior more, hmmm.

Motor mounts

17" ADR rims. I had these same wheels on my second Cavy and loved them.

We're gona make these a little easier on the eyes before install, but here is the good stuff. We were thinking powder coating...any suggestions? Also, can you just unbolt the turbo in order to turn the outlet so that it's not pointing straight into the firewall? Prob a noobie question, but I don't have experience with taking turbos apart yet.

2004 Cavalier Sedan

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 6:04 PM
Man I can't wait to see this in person!!!!

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 6:36 PM
Yeah ecotecpower we'll have to go cruse sometime in CO. I really wish I could go to the Bash next year, but I'll prob be overseas since it's looking like end of summer beginning of fall timeline.

roofy- That's a cool pic of the clean white Z24. My favorite color is red, but white is just fine to me. Mine will look almost exactly as you described...mostly stock with it lowered a little bit. I'll have the 17" wheels on most of the time, but I'm keeping the stock 16s for back up and/or winter driving.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Tuesday, November 01, 2011 6:58 PM
I spy a SpeedCraft manifold!!

FU Tuning

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 8:34 PM
to answer your question, yes you can remove the bolts on the compressor side and clock it in many different positions since it uses the bands to hold it in place. Also, yes to powder coat... Just pick a color that will go with your theme and not stick out like a sore thumb. I think white would be cool but hard to keep clean.

While your motor is out, you should get some simple green and clean the firewall up quite a bit. Would make it stand out a bit more. Just an idea. I wish I remembered the name of this stuff my dad uses. Its something INSANELY cheap, they tell you to dilute it with water to use it for anything. I wish I remembered the name. If I remember ill look when I get home. its like $6 for a gallon of this insane stuff.

Im digging the pile of parts though.

PS, thanks for serving.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search