96 Turbocharged Z24 - Page 8 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 96 Turbocharged Z24
Sunday, November 25, 2012 10:25 AM
I got Bridgestone Fuzion UHP 225/45/17 for the street and I'll get some drag radials for the track.

2004 Cavalier Sedan

Friday, December 07, 2012 12:30 PM
Been getting a few more parts. I'll post some videos later this month after tuning.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Saturday, December 22, 2012 11:37 AM
Had to modify the throttle bracket

Mounted the FMU

And the new TTR motor mount.

I forgot to bring the laptop to the shop, so I'll have to play around with HPT later.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Monday, December 24, 2012 11:30 AM
Small update

The MSD box bracket will have to be modified again, but here's what we're working with right now.
[IMG]https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/163371_4263830154811_2055121882_n.jpg[/IMG[

Too tight

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Monday, December 24, 2012 11:35 AM
oops

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Wednesday, December 26, 2012 8:32 PM
Alright...here's the MSD box mounted along with the other two gauges inside.

So here's what's going on. With pretty much everything hooked up, the car starts and runs for about 3 seconds then shuts off. Fuel pressure is great and it just dies no matter what after that 3 second burst. We're thinking it is the security system. The security light in the dash is not going off, but I think we'll try the key on and 10 min wait thing. I did try hooking up HPT, but I had to update the drives first. I now have that good to go, so I'm hoping to start tuning tomorrow.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Thursday, December 27, 2012 4:28 AM
Yeah, sounds like theft lock. Start the car, let it die and leave the key in the run position for approx 10 minutes. The theft light should start flashing or just shut right off when it's ready. Turn the key off for 3 seconds then restart.

Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:25 AM
Wow, this HPT crap is getting frustrating. Now it says I need to install .net framework 1.1, but that won't install because of IIS issues. I can't install HPT until I install the .net framework 1.1. I'm using windows 7 64 bit. I've also tried contacting HPT, but have not gotten anything back yet. I've been on this forum and googled the crap out of these errors looking for a solution. Anyone have some advice or tips for me before I throw my computer through the window?

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:46 AM
HPT can sometimes be slow to react back to you, but once they do, sometimes you need the beta versions for it to work. I had to email them about getting a beta version to match the tuning Ryan was working with.

Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:04 AM
Ok, I got the new version from hpt and it installed fine but there is no icon or anything I can find to open hpt on my comp? I can only find the install/uninstall icon and a bunch of folders for diff subjects like vcm scanner, histograms, etc.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:13 AM
Disregard, I found it...

2004 Cavalier Sedan

Thursday, December 27, 2012 2:15 PM
I am still very curious to see the tuning for this.

GMR has got nothing on this
Thursday, December 27, 2012 5:23 PM
DOHC_tuner wrote:I am still very curious to see the tuning for this.

You and me both. It was one thing after another as far as getting HPT to work on my comp. Now the problem is that I can't get the credits window to pop up either before or after it reads the VCM. It reads it, but then it either freezes or gives me an error. One error was issues with the .net framework. Got that handled, and now right after reading it it says, "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt." I think this is saying I haven't licensed the VCM yet which I'm trying to do, but the prompt window doesn't come up. After messing with that most of the day since 7 in the morning, my brother in law and I decided to take out the dash and install the new cd player just for fun. It looks good, but of course, it doesn't work. Got frustrated with that real quick, so before my dad closed up the shop for the day we put the tires on the wheels just so I could say something got finished today.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Saturday, January 12, 2013 12:49 PM
Update since the site went down.

Put together. Not exactly how it's going to be, but its there.

Drove it around the shop a little. It only runs on all four cylinders sometimes, but before we dive deeper into that (something to do with power getting to one of the coils)...the turbo is getting rebuilt. I've heard used turbos bearings can rust if you let it sit for a while (mines been sitter about a year), and it spit oil all over the firewall/engine bay along with dirty oily smoke out the tailpipe.

On the dissection table.

more to come...

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Saturday, January 12, 2013 4:20 PM
Turbo is rebuilt...thanks dad

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Tuesday, February 05, 2013 5:04 AM
Small update and question: turbo works great after the rebuild, but we're still running on two cylinders intermittently. MSD box is hooked up along with MSD coil conversion. We'll think it's fixed after double checking connections bc it'll start to hit on all four and sound great. Then we'll start it up later and it's back to two cyl...any suggestions? Anyone that's done the coil conversion before have any advice? Thanks

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Tuesday, February 05, 2013 6:19 AM
turboZ24cavi wrote:Wow, this HPT crap is getting frustrating. Now it says I need to install .net framework 1.1, but that won't install because of IIS issues. I can't install HPT until I install the .net framework 1.1. I'm using windows 7 64 bit. I've also tried contacting HPT, but have not gotten anything back yet. I've been on this forum and googled the crap out of these errors looking for a solution. Anyone have some advice or tips for me before I throw my computer through the window?

I have a version of HPTuners that doesn't run of the .net frame work, but HPTuners should have sent you it. It is also on the forums.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, February 05, 2013 7:39 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:
turboZ24cavi wrote:Wow, this HPT crap is getting frustrating. Now it says I need to install .net framework 1.1, but that won't install because of IIS issues. I can't install HPT until I install the .net framework 1.1. I'm using windows 7 64 bit. I've also tried contacting HPT, but have not gotten anything back yet. I've been on this forum and googled the crap out of these errors looking for a solution. Anyone have some advice or tips for me before I throw my computer through the window?

I have a version of HPTuners that doesn't run of the .net frame work, but HPTuners should have sent you it. It is also on the forums.

This is taken care of. Hpt works just fine now. Just trying to figure out why it's only running on two cyl intermittently. If I can get that resolved I should be able to post a video of the car running and driving around.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Friday, February 15, 2013 5:34 AM
Update. Got a hold of MSD and I have to send the box in so they can test it. They were very short over the phone, and said they have to test it themselves. Anyone have suggestions for that? I think for now we're just gonna bypass the MSD box. We are going to double check that the coils are not the problem for it running on only two cyl intermittently.

Got the seat bracket for the new seats figured out though. I did have it mounted on the stock bracket/slider, but it sat up too high for driving it comfortably.

Also, this weekend I'm looking more into possibilities of using Audi TT rotors and calipers for a big brake set up. Going to be tuning the new computer as well. When I did the computer and harness swap I had started using an ECU from a 2000. It worked fine except that the MPH and Tach were switched. Now I have a comp from a 97, so I hope that resolves that issue. Luckily, I have two more credits on HPT. I'll try to get a video uploaded. The short term goal is to be able to drive this thing to work on Tuesday!!!

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Saturday, February 16, 2013 9:01 AM
i dig the tan racing seats.
Monday, February 18, 2013 1:30 PM
I knew these autos were fairly weak, but I did expect it to last longer than once around the neighborhood. Yep, no forward gears. IPT rebuild coming soon.

2004 Cavalier Sedan

Monday, February 18, 2013 4:03 PM
Wow...

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:25 AM
I can help tune the trans if you like. The autos can handle more power somewhere around 350-400 ft-lbs are when they normally fail.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:03 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:I can help tune the trans if you like. The autos can handle more power somewhere around 350-400 ft-lbs are when they normally fail.

That would be great. I plan on calling IPT today and see what they suggest, what exactly comes in the rebuild kit and see if I can get a military discount lol. Since the car is most likely going to be headed back to my dads shop in northwest Arkansas, I'm thinking I should try to get in touch with Ryan in MO for some hardcore tuning before I bring it back out to CO.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:18 AM
John at IPT said I should get the 4T40E rebuild kit, 4T45E modified valve body and send in my tq converter for a custom high stall build. $1073 total, but they do offer a military discount. Either way I'm looking at about $1000. He didn't have any hard numbers, but he said this should hold up to 350hp. I would have thought it would be more. Does all that and fine tuning with HPT increase its rating at all? I could also buy a used auto for fairly cheap, install LSD, replace all seals etc, and then tune with hpt. I've considered going manual, but I just don't want to. Any advice on my two options???

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search