Getting My 'Squirt On - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Getting My 'Squirt On
Monday, January 09, 2012 6:17 PM
Wow, where to begin. It's been a few years since I've been active on the board, so I'm not sure how many of you remember me. I see some familiar names here and there, but a lot of new ones. My Z24 has been sitting in storage for the last couple years and I really haven't done much with it except drive it in a few autox competitions. I don't think I've put more than a hundred miles on it in the last few years. I bought a motorcycle a few years back and bought a Mazdaspeed6 and kind of lost interest in the Cav while it sat in storage at my parent's house.

Since then I've sold the Mazdaspeed6, mainly because the factory warranty ran out, and a few things started going wrong with it. Parts are NOT cheap, especially when it came to the AWD drivetrain. A little background on what happened to it... I kept that car meticulous and it was like it came off the showroom floor. Anyway, the new owner flew from NY to pick it up, had it for two weeks, and totaled it. That was the second Speed6 he smashed in less than a month. Kind of broke my heart. I couldn't complain though, because I sold it for more than what I paid for it, and was able to put a nice chunk of change in the bank. I've been looking at STIs, a few WRX Premiums, and some beamers. But, it's nice to not have a loan payment, and I'm looking at buying a house soon so I'd rather not have a car payment and a mortgage payment.

Suddenly, I remembered the Cav collecting dust back at my parent's house. And I thought why not stick a few thousand into it and make it a fun car to drive again and make it my daily driver! It's already got a fully built motor that I've got thousand of dollars stuck into, practically rust free, rear disc brakes, Tokico suspension, nice wheels, and really nothing wrong with it. It's got the M45 blower on it, but I've never been able to boost with it because of tuning problems. I had pretty much given up on HPTuners and was just totally frustrated. So.....I bought MegaSquirt3. I had an extra engine harness lying around and I'm in the process of tearing it apart, getting rid of everything I don't need, and soldering in the Megasquirt harness.

I don't have too much for pics just yet, but here are a few teasers.

The plan is to get it running on the supercharger, play around with it for a while, and go turbo Questions and comments welcome!

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R

Re: Getting My 'Squirt On
Monday, January 09, 2012 6:53 PM
nice to see you messing with the cav again, but not sure why you couldn't get that setup tuned with HPT. You should have no problems with a M45 setup.

FU Tuning

Monday, January 09, 2012 7:08 PM
Well it's a '99 and no matter how do you it with HPT, it just seems hacked together. MS3 has all sorts of things built in like boost controller, MAP sensor, alky injection outputs, etc. I plan on going big turbo in the future, and I just feel better running it off of MS3.

1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Monday, January 09, 2012 7:17 PM
Good luck man, if i was to try ms over again i would do a external 36-1 or 60-2 crank trigger wheel to make life much easier. how are you planing to run yours?

Buy my stuff!!! CLICK

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Monday, January 09, 2012 7:40 PM
Glad to see you around Luke. My 99 ran fine with HPT, though I cannot take ANY credit for tuning it

Good Luck

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Monday, January 09, 2012 8:29 PM
Blwn LD9 wrote:Glad to see you around Luke. My 99 ran fine with HPT, though I cannot take ANY credit for tuning it

Good Luck

My friends 99 has been running for 4-5 years with a M45 and he drives it daily.

FU Tuning

Monday, January 09, 2012 8:37 PM
Will be watching this thread, I to one day will have a MegaSquirt.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Monday, January 09, 2012 9:06 PM
i dont remember you.. just who the hell are ya?

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:53 AM
Glad to see you back at it. Good luck getting it wired in and running. Excited to see it back!

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:13 AM
Glad to see you messing with it again.

When and if you take off the m45 let me know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:40 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:28 AM
What upp

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:47 AM
long time no see glad to see your back in the game. now install and have some fun

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:48 PM
Boosted2point4 wrote:Good luck man, if i was to try ms over again i would do a external 36-1 or 60-2 crank trigger wheel to make life much easier. how are you planing to run yours?

MS3 has the GM 7X built-in. From what I've heard though, that's not the best route to go. I've been looking at an external 6-1. Any opinion on that?

Blwn LD9 wrote:Glad to see you around Luke. My 99 ran fine with HPT, though I cannot take ANY credit for tuning it

Good Luck

Thanks Jason, I appreciate it!

-Z Yaaaa- wrote:i dont remember you.. just who the hell are ya?

Brad, you bastard!

BuiltNBoosted wrote:Glad to see you back at it. Good luck getting it wired in and running. Excited to see it back!

Thanks Vince, I'm excited to get it back on the road too!

-MD- Enforcer wrote:Glad to see you messing with it again.

It will definitely go for sale. Probably toward the end of this year. I'll for sure let you know when I decide to get rid of it. It's technically got zero miles on it right now. I got it brand new.

WHITECAVY wrote:What upp

Hey man, I've always loved your car. How are things going??

It's nice to hear from all of you guys again! Looking forward to getting the Cav going again and hopefully make it to some meets!

1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:49 PM
Quote:

Getting My 'Squirt On

^thats what she said..... lol for spencer.

on a serious note. glad to see a renewed interest. sometimes it feels good to know how and what you are working on.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:58 PM
looks like alot of fun with all the wires!!!

get some more pics man, always have like your car

DOPER.
Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:24 PM
Cursed Cav wrote:
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Glad to see you messing with it again.

It will definitely go for sale. Probably toward the end of this year. I'll for sure let you know when I decide to get rid of it. It's technically got zero miles on it right now. I got it brand new.

Sounds great to me!
Also, isn't fetter selling his crank pulley "trigger wheel" that I sold to him about a year or two ago.
I believe he mentioned it on facebook.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:16 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:54 PM
more teeth the better, get the 60-2, aka the GM 58x wheel.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:40 AM
This is a good decision. I too am in the same delima. I want a Cobalt SS/TC sooo bad. But I just paid off my car loan....no car payment...so I NEED to get a house. But I want that SS! LOL

GMR has got nothing on this
Monday, July 30, 2012 7:57 AM
Updates?

Monday, July 30, 2012 8:03 AM
No updates unfortunately I've been working a ton of overtime at work, and been playing in a few volleyball leagues this summer. I haven't had as much time to work on this as I had hoped. I had the trans ripped out to replace the clutch and install an OBX LSD. Just got that all finished up about two weeks ago. Megasquirt is the next project. The cav is my DD right now though since I sold my MazdaSpeed6. Looking to buy a '10 or '11 Subaru WRX. Once I acquire a new car, I'll get back into the MegaSquirt wiring

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, July 30, 2012 8:04 AM

1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Monday, July 30, 2012 9:25 AM
In for updates, and because I'll be tackling a similar setup.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 9:59 AM
*Approved*

Club Jeffie, Yea we can make that.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:08 PM
How did finishing the install go for the OBX? Sucks it was such a problem!

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:22 PM
Well, finally got it installed. The trans shop had a hell of a time getting it to work. After a lot of shimming, he was finally able to get everything to line up. Got it all installed, and everything works great except the speedometer Speedo works great up until 60. Past that, it just bounces all over the place. I have no idea why. I'm guessing something with the alignment of the speedo gear on the LSD. I'm afraid the trans will be coming out again.

1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Tuesday, July 31, 2012 9:08 PM
Glad to see your back working on the cavy!

PS3 ID: Phatchance249
MW3 FTW!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search