Leona 2012 - Page 10 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Leona 2012
Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:28 AM
looks like a little glazing on the rotors. a couple tricks i was taught when doing brakes were to buff the edge of the pad so there is no more paint. that is most common for squeel. also buff the surface of the pad along with having the rotors turned. just with a light finishing pass. after that you will have to go out and do a couple hard stops to reset the pads. hope this helps.

jason

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 7:32 AM
MRThompson (jrthompson) wrote:looks like a little glazing on the rotors. a couple tricks i was taught when doing brakes were to buff the edge of the pad so there is no more paint. that is most common for squeel. also buff the surface of the pad along with having the rotors turned. just with a light finishing pass. after that you will have to go out and do a couple hard stops to reset the pads. hope this helps.

jason

I have de-glazed the pads twice now. Thats why Im thinking its the rotors. That will be dealt with soon.

And Tinkles, she isnt a super racecar yet. Maybe after I get the alky and larger injectors so I can rev to 7 grand again I can make that claim. lol

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 2:00 PM
I am so sick of these Wilwoods squeeling... Mine never did it before this season. Old and new pads both do it even with shims. It MUST be rotor related at this point.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Tuesday, June 19, 2012 2:05 PM
My Wilwoods were squeeling too after the first year. I changed the pads to EBC reds and it was a little better ( light braking or 10mph and under )

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:27 PM
I called wilwood on this problem. They told me that there are shims that hold the pad in place, these shims after a while loosen up. You either need to buy new ones or bend them back. I just installed mine with no problems so far.

Mark

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:06 PM
Few common Wilwood problems are that the rotors sit out in the elements and get moisture in the rotors themselves and swell and get out of balance. Other thing is filing down all the edges of the pad and not just the ones that are on the head side of the rotor.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:03 PM
I did a brake job on my Honda pilot using OEM Honda pads but kept the factory rear rotors as they were visually fine. It squeals stopping at slow speeds. Called Honda and was told its due to rotor contamination. The tech advised either having them cut just a little off both faces to expose new material and it should go away.

Haven't had a chance to try it but sounds like the wilwoods have a similar issue.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:17 PM
I've tried all kinds of combos with the pads..

-3 year old pads begin to squeal from constant hard braking after new turbo setup.
-brand new pads installed without shims (forgot to order them). Did not turn rotors on a lathe. Grinded them with a rough disc on an angle grinder. Sound remained.
-Install brand new shims and cut pads to eliminate squeal from dust build up. Sound remains.

Going to cut my rotors on a lathe and see what that gets me...

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:21 PM
Damn guys my Camaro brakes are doing awesome.

Whats up.
Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:59 PM
Eat a bag of dicks.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:03 AM
Qwik2k2z24 wrote:Eat a bag of dicks.

This.

I will check out the shims in the calipers like Mark suggested on Thursday when I have the car up next.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:27 AM

Forgot all about that saying!

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:33 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:26 PM
Well I solved one of my 2 noises tonight. The upper outer shim on the left front caliper that holds the pad in place had come loose and was lightly contacting the rotor. So my really annoying squeek when driving and turning right is now gone. I sanded down the rotors but unfortunately my squeel when coming to a stop slowly is still there. Its really hard to tell if its from the front or rear. I will have to probe more.

Friday, June 22, 2012 11:49 AM
what is with you guys and sanding down the rotors? do it right and have them TURNED!!

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Saturday, June 23, 2012 5:49 AM
enough about rotors and pads.......when we talking about manual steering racks and your brake upgrades

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Saturday, June 23, 2012 5:55 AM
Well the steering rack has been working flawlessly. I have about 8000-9000km on the car this summer and havent had an issue yet.
I am going to see Rob later today and we will be discussing it so he can start producing them.
As for the brake master upgrade, soon. I have been swamped. Atleast I got my alcohol injection installed
550cc's and a re-tune this week aswell

Saturday, June 23, 2012 6:21 AM
gtpsunfire wrote:Well the steering rack has been working flawlessly. I have about 8000-9000km on the car this summer and havent had an issue yet.
I am going to see Rob later today and we will be discussing it so he can start producing them.
As for the brake master upgrade, soon. I have been swamped. Atleast I got my alcohol injection installed
550cc's and a re-tune this week aswell

now we are talking

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Saturday, June 23, 2012 4:47 PM
Looking.g good as usual.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 6:20 PM
Jeff Wybrow wrote:Damn guys my Camaro brakes are doing awesome.

My camaro STI setup is doing awesome as well.

Hope you get the other squeak figured out, I know they can be annoying. I like what I'm seeing with the rest of the car too. I may be interested in the manual setup price pending.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 7:54 PM

Fukc.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 7:57 PM
Big curb and lowered car no bueno. What's happened?

Saturday, June 23, 2012 8:16 PM
I was giving it good on an on ramp and I came around the bend and it was gridlocked. Touched the brakes and the back end went out on me. Believe this. I got away with a bent banana bar and needing an alignment.
No body damage, didn't touch oil pan or transmission.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 8:21 PM
Lucky. Surprised it didn't bust up Tue technic lip. On a side note, get that Bishop copied with the z bumper as one piece.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 8:24 PM
I had a close call Las time I drove the car. Had to hit the brakes from someone jumping lanes and the car went squirrely. I must have swapped a line when I deleted the ABS. Its a good thing I plan to redo them. Just Ned to figure out the true routing of the master.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search