Leona 2012 - Page 12 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Leona 2012
Thursday, July 12, 2012 4:38 PM
Quote:

You think it could have been caused by the accident?

X2

Glad to hear your ok, keep up the good work.

PS3 ID: Phatchance249
MW3 FTW!

Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:06 PM
Trust me, I know Im extremely lucky that it happened while parking, and not driving.
Dave, as for the rear tire bar, while its a possibility, I dont think thats what caused me to spin out. I was taking a long off ramp at about 130 and was gripping REALLY well. When I came around the bend, traffic was stopped dead, so I hit the brakes and the back end went out on me. Im pretty sure the rears are proportioned wrong and gripped way too much.
As for that incident causing the rack to break, we arent sure. I didnt hear from Rob today on whether he took the rack apart to investigate or not.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:31 PM
Darren that sounds like an incident I had going to your house in Sweetness a few years ago...

I was coming around the turn on the 401 from the collectors to the express near the 400... I don't know if you know it well but it's a sharp turn and I hit it at about 200 km/h... yes I know i know way too fast.

The point is coming around the turn I realized it was too much speed even for my suspension and I tapped the brakes to slow down at the apex - almost immediately the back end kicked out on me and it took a few HARD swerves across 3 lanes to save the car. It was almost like the back end locked up on me... to this day I have never figured out what happened but I haven't done a speed like that since.

Either way, same rear tie bar, same rear brakes, same "snap" response under correction on a big turn going in too fast. I don't think it's a coincidence - the question is: what caused it.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, July 13, 2012 8:05 AM
Tell me more.

Friday, July 13, 2012 8:15 AM
Joe Schulte wrote:Tell me more.

Hey - why is that dude wearing my helmet and suit?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Saturday, July 14, 2012 2:01 AM
Some ay his favorite popsicle flavor is Deisel, all me know is we call him the Stig!

Saturday, July 14, 2012 8:40 AM
SweetnessGT wrote:Darren that sounds like an incident I had going to your house in Sweetness a few years ago...

I was coming around the turn on the 401 from the collectors to the express near the 400... I don't know if you know it well but it's a sharp turn and I hit it at about 200 km/h... yes I know i know way too fast.

The point is coming around the turn I realized it was too much speed even for my suspension and I tapped the brakes to slow down at the apex - almost immediately the back end kicked out on me and it took a few HARD swerves across 3 lanes to save the car. It was almost like the back end locked up on me... to this day I have never figured out what happened but I haven't done a speed like that since.

Either way, same rear tie bar, same rear brakes, same "snap" response under correction on a big turn going in too fast. I don't think it's a coincidence - the question is: what caused it.

-Chris-

This has me worried as I have the SSBC rears waiting for install.

Saturday, July 14, 2012 9:03 AM
If I keep the car, I will be adding an adjustable proportioning valve to my system over the winter.
If I LAY on the brakes, my car stops on a dime, but the back end starts to slightly go out on me.

Saturday, July 14, 2012 10:54 AM
gtpsunfire wrote:If I keep the car.

You need to do that.

Error: Sig not found.

Saturday, July 14, 2012 2:48 PM
My rear wants to move out on me as well since I did the ABS delete. My thinking is I somehow swapped a line or 2 and have the distribution off. That's one of the things I plan to check out and correct when I have the ability to work on the car again.

Its not fun hitting the brakes hard and the rear end feel like it wants to swerve back and forth.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Saturday, July 14, 2012 3:41 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:

You need to do that.

Agreed!

Monday, July 16, 2012 4:01 AM
Zs Z wrote:
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:

You need to do that.

Agreed!

Agreed.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:14 PM
have you tried any cam adjustments yet?
have you dynoed yet?
is it tuned to perfection yet?

see.. plenty left to do.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:37 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:have you tried any cam adjustments yet?
have you dynoed yet?
is it tuned to perfection yet?

see.. plenty left to do.

To be honest dude, Im not interested. This car took up a @!#$load of my time and money. The money is gone, but the time I can now spend with family and friends enjoying life instead of constantly worrying about the car, waiting for tow trucks or fixing/modifying it.
I just need time away from it all, if it sells, it sells, if it doesnt, I will have to figure out where I can park it for a year or 2.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:58 AM
I'm going to say something here and by no means do I mean any offense, just my opinion as an outsider looking in...

You are going to far with these cars, don't get me wrong you do awesome work, but you mod them to the point of being to wild and at that point they become unreliable and expensive.

Same thing happened with your last few cars, pour money and time into them, never really get running right, then you get tired of working on them/putting money into them and throw in the towel.

There is something to be said about a fun, cheap and reliable car....they are enjoyable, and isn't that the whole point of modifying cars in the first place?

I dunno, it seems you over complicate projects and that leads to them getting expensive and unreliable.

Again, I mean absolutely no offence dude, I love the cars you build.....but maybe take a step back and figure out what you actually want in a car/out of a car and then build that car.

If you want a fun, peppy daily driver or weekend warrior then the whole engine bay doesn't need to be chromed, nor do you need a wire tuck, nor do you need manual steering, nor gigantic brakes or the suspension of an auto-x car. Trying to build a show/drag/auto-x/weekend warrior car all rolled into one is just never gonna be truly possible with the J-Body platform.

Keep them simple and I think you will enjoy them a whole lot more.

Again, just an outsiders view from watching your last few builds, and for the third time, I mean no offense by what I said......just trying to help.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:58 AM
if u lived in texas i would take it off ur hands

ur car is dope....sukc ur selling it

Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:06 AM
newt wrote:I'm going to say something here and by no means do I mean any offense, just my opinion as an outsider looking in...

You are going to far with these cars, don't get me wrong you do awesome work, but you mod them to the point of being to wild and at that point they become unreliable and expensive.

Same thing happened with your last few cars, pour money and time into them, never really get running right, then you get tired of working on them/putting money into them and throw in the towel.

There is something to be said about a fun, cheap and reliable car....they are enjoyable, and isn't that the whole point of modifying cars in the first place?

I dunno, it seems you over complicate projects and that leads to them getting expensive and unreliable.

Again, I mean absolutely no offence dude, I love the cars you build.....but maybe take a step back and figure out what you actually want in a car/out of a car and then build that car.

If you want a fun, peppy daily driver or weekend warrior then the whole engine bay doesn't need to be chromed, nor do you need a wire tuck, nor do you need manual steering, nor gigantic brakes or the suspension of an auto-x car. Trying to build a show/drag/auto-x/weekend warrior car all rolled into one is just never gonna be truly possible with the J-Body platform.

Again, just an outsiders view from watching your last few builds, and for the third time, I mean no offense by what I said......just trying to help.

I have to agree to an extent. Sadly, the only custom thing that really failed badly was the manual rack, and we haven't even taken that apart yet to see what caused that.
The straw that broke the camels back for me was when my stock wheel bearing sheered in half on Saturday, in the process damaging one of my wilwood rotors and the caliper. I can be 99.9% sure that it did this because I hopped the curb last month. It was on the left front, it probably had a hairline crack on it and got worse since then. If that hadn't happened, I would still be loving the car and be happy driving it daily.
When that happened I almost asked the tow truck driver to take it to the wreckers, complete. Luckily, Alex was there to calm me down and we ended up replacing the complete hub and bearing, once again, throwing the alignment way off.
I'm not sure if I went too far with this car, if that's your opinion, that's cool and I respect it. I just need some downtime from the whole scene, and sadly, I have nowhere to park it.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:23 AM
I'm just saying had it been simple, you wouldn't of had to put so much time into it, and wouldn't be discouraged at this point to keep working on these small set backs.

That's all I'm saying, I spent most of last summer building my new motor and went way more complicated than I should have (should of just ported a L61 head and saved myself all that hassle of the LSJ head).

Had something gone wrong with it, I probably would of been upset and lost the motivation to fix it as well, luckily nothing ever did tho.

I know exactly the boat you are in right now, your sick of spending your nights couped up in the garage wrenching away on the damn thing and you just wanna relax and spend time with friends/family.

The less nights you spend building the thing, the more nights you don't mind spending working out the kinks is what I was trying to get at.

Anyways, take that for what its worth.

You built a fantastic car and I hope that you end up keeping it around

Thursday, July 19, 2012 11:02 AM
Thanks man. I get what you are saying. In the back of my mind, Im kind of hoping it doesnt sell and that I find an indoor place to put it for a year or 2. Just take time away from it and come back with a fresh mind and start.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 12:00 PM
where did u get the supercharger for the cav?
Friday, July 20, 2012 9:05 AM
they dont have storage unit in canada?

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.

Friday, July 20, 2012 11:17 AM
I'm not paying stupidly high fees to store a cavalier...

Saturday, July 21, 2012 4:45 AM
newt wrote:I'm going to say something here and by no means do I mean any offense, just my opinion as an outsider looking in...

Sometimes it takes doing all that to realize this.
Saturday, July 21, 2012 6:22 AM
gtpsunfire wrote:Thanks man. I get what you are saying. In the back of my mind, Im kind of hoping it doesnt sell and that I find an indoor place to put it for a year or 2. Just take time away from it and come back with a fresh mind and start.

I know the feeling.... My car has spent 3+ years sitting at my dads. Well, the last year+ was because I live in Germany... But the first two were because I knew I couldn't sell it, but needed some time to forget about it. Have a friend or family member that can hang onto it?

Saturday, July 21, 2012 8:41 AM
Crazy to read about 2 other j's having the rear slide out. My car did this to probably 6 years ago to. I was on completely stock brakes to. Realized i was going to fast into a turn touched the brake pedal rear slid out i corrected rear slid the other way, car went completely around, went off the road and stopped about 5 feet from a big tree.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search