DSMSkylines motor build for 2012 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
DSMSkylines motor build for 2012
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:55 PM
I finally decided to bite the bullet and start my build.

The motor was pulled from a 2000 grand am. I rebuilt my original spare motor and dropped it for my boss's son.

The motor was knocking so I assumed it was due to a bad bearing as he didn't maintain the car properly.

I tore it apart yesterday and was surprised. After pulling.g the head I realized that cylinder 2 piston was about 1/8" lower in the cylinder than #3. Pulled the.rod cap off and the bearing was completely demolished. It had literally melted and now looks similar to a thrust bearing.

The piston was also cracked all the way down to the oil rings.

Any way on to the pictures.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Re: DSMSkylines motor build for 2012
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:11 PM
I fully stripped the block and tossed the 2.4 oil pump and balance assembly. I prepped the block for the 2.3 oil pump. The feed holes are drilled. Just need to tap the needed holes.

I dropped off the rotating assembly today at the machine shop for balancing. The parts will be ready by the end of next week. Thursday I will be dropping off the block and head for cleaning and machining.

The build consists for JE 10:1 compression. 040" over sized pistons
Eagle rods
Remanufactured crank
Spec aluminum flywheel
MD stock sized aluminum pulley
The main and rod bearings are coated
Arp head studs
Arp main studs
Arp flywheel and pressure plate bolts
Arp exhaust manifold studs

Head will get stock sized as valves
Mantapart stiffer springs
slight porting/ gasket matching
All 4 combustion chambers will be CC'd within 1% of each other

Cosmetic. 054" MLS head gasket

Tuned with hpt.

Once the motor is in and broken in I will be installing my to4b 57.trim Turbo.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:14 PM
daaaaaaymn!!!!! never seen a bearing THAT fubar before!! hahaha did this thing have ANY oil in it?

plans for the build sound great! maybe i missed it but what cams?

and its *cometic lol

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:20 PM
Brad all 3 pieces came from the same rod. I thought it was strange that it was cylinder 2. #3 looked fine.

Unfortunately I'll m on my phone and it likes to fix things on it's own. That's actually why I split it into 2 posts. I couldn't see it anymore so I cojldnt fix any mistakes that happened.

Cams will either be stock uh brilliant I can find a decent set of ho's for a good price or I will pull the secret cams from the motor currently in the car.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 10:36 AM
Damn man those are some seriously F'ed up bearings! Good luck with the rebuild!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:44 AM
bolt that bitch back together and ROLL Thomas....lol jk jk....build looks good. you are always doing something...wanna budget build me an ECOTEC?

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 1:49 PM
I'm stopping today to get the plugs for the oil galleys. If I get a chance to get the holes threaded today ill drop the block off tomorrow for machining. Not sure when ill be able to get around to the head. Hopefully tomorrow so I can drop it off as well. I'd like to get this done in a fairly decent time frame.

Only parts holding me up are the 2.3 pickup and the baffle. I have 2 people who say they have them but can't get either to follow through. Ill probably stop tomorrow after going to the machine shop and order them..

Chris I'd me more than happy to build you a motor. Let me know what you want to spend and ill see what I can find.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:41 PM
I dont want anything fancy. not looking to build a motor like alans...lol

Probably rods and pistons, and valve and springs and id be good to go. all stock sized, maybe 20 over. the valves could be the LSJ sodium valves, and thats about as serious of a build as i need and/or want.

Sunday, March 25, 2012 12:29 PM
Nothing exciting has happened yet. I did order a ring filer to fit my rings. I got rid of mine a couple years ago after building my talon motor.

I'm getting excited for this to be done but I'm thinking it will be a couple weeks before its done.

Sunday, March 25, 2012 2:26 PM
vpartsinc.com for your missing 2.3 parts.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Monday, March 26, 2012 3:21 AM
What brad said!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Monday, March 26, 2012 8:44 PM
Stopped by the dealer today. Ordered the 2 missing parts. They ordered directly from vpi. I was going to order directly from vpi myself but the dealer gets like a 5% discount and doesn't have to pay for shipping.

Monday, March 26, 2012 8:47 PM
looks good, hope the rebuild goes great and can get the #'s youre going for!!

Monday, March 26, 2012 9:00 PM
Hopefully. I'm thinking of running n/a for a couple hundred miles to get a feel for the motor. Should be stronger than stock the.calculated CR is 9.8:1 depending on how much has to be removed from the head and block. I used. 020" when I did the calculations.

The.compression with 15#s of boost should be.super fun. I wanted the higher compression to help with the low end and Turbo spool.

Plus with the reduced rotational mass I'm hoping for a slight rocket ship. Its not going to be a record.breaker but it was built as a fast dd not as a race car. It will still have power steering AC installed.

Friday, March 30, 2012 9:39 AM
Small update. Picking up my rotating assembly from the machine shop where it was balanced.

The last 2 pump swap parts are on the fedex truck for delivery today and I received my ring gapper yesterday.

Slowly getting closer and closer.

Still havent had a chance to finish tapping hte holes for the pump swap. I thought I had a big enough drill bit but my index only goes to .5" and I need a 37/64" for a couple 3/8" NPT plugs. Ill stop by sears on the way home today and pick one up. Once they are tapped and the head disassembled they are off to the machine shop for another week or 2 of waiting.

Saturday, March 31, 2012 9:38 PM

2.3 oil pump mod finally complete. Need to massage pickup to fit in stock pan.

Monday, May 07, 2012 10:22 AM
Not much of an update but I was able to get the machinist to pick up the head after hours when i got off work.

Stock sized si ss valves, si bronze/manganese guides, 3 angle valve job, mantapart springs, and shaved .011".

Will be measuring the combustion chambers soon and tearing it apart for some port clean up.

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 6:15 AM
Friday, August 17, 2012 6:42 PM
The build has been put on hold due to buying a house. I have all the parts for the motor, just gathering parts for other aspects of the car.

I am still collecting parts in the meantime. The house will be done and probably be moved in by the end of the year.

Once the car is there it will be getting stripped and done from the ground up the right way. Suspension will be staying the same, the engine and bay will get worked, the body will get painted and the interior will be done.

Here is an order I received today from Jegs. I got another yesterday but forgot to grab a picture before it was put away.

I have more parts coming as well, be here Monday.

Friday, August 17, 2012 6:57 PM
Well DAMN! Thomas. I should have a Jegs order waiting for me when I get home today as well!!!

Friday, August 17, 2012 7:16 PM
Between that and the other order they got nearly $500 from me.

I'm pretty sure there won't be any regular rubber hose in the bay when I'm done.

Saturday, August 18, 2012 11:23 AM
lol dayyym thats a lot of fittins.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Saturday, August 18, 2012 11:30 AM
That's not even all of them. Lol think of all the hoses in the car.

Fuel, power steering, cooling,

Friday, February 01, 2013 8:50 PM
Car is done, had some issues priming the oil pump, I squirted in some assembly lube into the pump prior to final assembly. Guess it didnt like it. Had to pull the pump out and clean all the lube out.

Currently running 6psi.

Here is some visual entertainment for now, top one is a movie, click to play.

Saturday, February 02, 2013 7:00 AM

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search