Dyno time finally - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dyno time finally
Saturday, March 24, 2012 2:32 PM
Well, a very disappointing day at the dyno. 2 years ago I put down 303whp with minimal off the shelf mods. This time around I did a buttload of mods to it and just put down 328.1 hp at 17lbs. First run of the day I put down 299, then 319, then 328, then 309 when the damn tranny broke. 3rd gear is done. We were making progress going up and up in numbers playing with timing and fuel. I wasnt going to quit until I reached 400 but the tranny said F it.

At this point I am unsure what to do about the car. Im leaning toward a MAJOR part-out. at the same time im thinking manual swap. The thing is, I do not have the time or space really for that. I have a 6 month old baby, and trying to get my wife back up to speed as her mom just passed away last week. So, life is priority right now. Here is the graph and video for your viewing.

Skip to 40 seconds.

Look at the bochy lines, thats the torque converter acting up.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Re: Dyno time finally
Saturday, March 24, 2012 2:47 PM
life is more important than hitting 400hp in a Cavalier bro.

regardless, those are good numbers and nothing to be upset about imo. sorry bout the tranny broseph.

Saturday, March 24, 2012 2:51 PM
Bring it to my place and I can get the swap done if you get the parts!

Saturday, March 24, 2012 3:16 PM
Taking care of your family is number one David, the cav can wait until you get everything sorted out. Those are some decent numbers even though your not quite at your goal. Just think of how far you have come with the cav and how much time and effort it takes to reach the level your at. Please don't part her out, I'm sure you would regret it down the road. Which ever way you decide to go I hope you do what's best for you and the family, and I'm sorry for your loss. I hope everything works out for you

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Saturday, March 24, 2012 3:41 PM
You put so much time into this ride man! Dont part it out! Just give it a rest until everything is back to the normal swing of things!

Saturday, March 24, 2012 4:06 PM
sorry to hear about the trans. still good numbers though, and the car sounded wicked as well

Saturday, March 24, 2012 4:32 PM
First of all sorry about the family stuff.
Those numbers are still impressive. Give wear/tear into consideration a bit.
I have been down/wanting to give up and all i have is minor bolt ons... don't give up. Just give cars space now and take care of priorities.
Cav looks clean and sounds real nice too. Good luck!

Saturday, March 24, 2012 5:51 PM
manual swap it. collect parts while you sort out life. after your parts are collected swap it. if your still tied down i will try to help. i bet your were also at 400, just the auto trans holding you back.

Saturday, March 24, 2012 8:05 PM
I understand your frustration, but I wouldn't part it out. You've put too much time into it to give up. Im dying to see this thing running and on the street. Get your family time in first then come back to it. Let me know if you need help.

Saturday, March 24, 2012 9:08 PM
Yeah family first. Really didnt want to see the tranny fail. I have the same one, so I guess well see how long she lasts. My two cents...only part out if you have to.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Sunday, March 25, 2012 12:29 AM
Well, that sucks about the transmission man, you know everyone here is gonna say Getrag swap it. I hope u liked Brian tuning your car. Like I said, he did excellent with mine, having over 5 hours in just drivability. Another nice thing is he is a gradual tuner. Only going in small steps instead of just jacking up the boost looking for big numbers. And patient considering the lack of tunability with our cars compared to the Corvettes and 3800I cars he is used to.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Sunday, March 25, 2012 6:10 AM
like everyone else deal with tha fam stuff man, the car will alwayz be there in the end and damn it sounded good when u got into boost, I would love to have ur numbers right now, sorry to hear bout the tranny stuff and ur wifes mom but what brings u down brings u back stronger, you'll get through it

Skr8 Goodz in tha hood
Sunday, March 25, 2012 8:17 AM
Hey everyone, thansk A LOT for the support. I guess I was just pissed yesterday when I mentioned part out because as all of you may had the same feeling before, I was just talking in frustration. Although its not out of the question, I will just put the cover back on it and think about it for a while. Like Jason said, collect little parts here and there for the manual swap and just take my time. That way it won't SEEM like im dumping lots of money it in all at once LOL.

About the car, yea it sounded really strong, loud as hell. The old head v8 guys there called it an angry little gerbal under the hood LOL.

Chuck Ill let ya know

Jason, ill be contact shortly becaus I know you know how to do a manual swap

306 TQ
Sunday, March 25, 2012 9:30 AM
I agree with the rest, family first. I think putting the cover on it and stepping back is good. weigh your options. I am also going for 400 hp with my auto trans. Your unfortunate event has made my fear of killing the trans a reality.

Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:53 AM
Sorry about all the family stuff, don't give up on the cavy though.

As for the dyno I would point all fingers at the tray, thats a pretty effed up power curve, sounds real mean and strong.

PS3 ID: Phatchance249
MW3 FTW!
Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:55 AM
lol why cant any of you guys understand a lot of the reasons mine dont run yet are FAMILY?!?! haha i just get @!#$ for it left and right.

david.. family comes first but man.. that doesnt mean you gotta give up on your dreams. i hardly feel like your wife and new daughter would want you to give up on something you've worked so hard for when you really didnt need to. like you said (and its what i do, too) just throw the cover on it and come at it when you can. there really is no shame in that one bit.

so i guess with that said.. congrats AND condolences at the same time are in order? LOL

keep at it man. 5 speed or auto this car will always have a place high up in the best j-body's ever built list.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Sunday, March 25, 2012 12:00 PM
thou it sucks to hear about your transmission issues.....the #s were still looking very good and give me some hope with my turbo auto build......take care of family first man and just let the car sit for awhile trust me it wont hurt it one bit.....enjoy your new daughter and all the memories little ones bring

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Sunday, March 25, 2012 7:53 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:Hey everyone, thansk A LOT for the support. I guess I was just pissed yesterday when I mentioned part out because as all of you may had the same feeling before, I was just talking in frustration. Although its not out of the question, I will just put the cover back on it and think about it for a while. Like Jason said, collect little parts here and there for the manual swap and just take my time. That way it won't SEEM like im dumping lots of money it in all at once LOL.

About the car, yea it sounded really strong, loud as hell. The old head v8 guys there called it an angry little gerbal under the hood LOL.

Chuck Ill let ya know

Jason, ill be contact shortly becaus I know you know how to do a manual swap

sounds good. i'm sure i can work something out to help you get it done.

Monday, March 26, 2012 3:19 AM
I'm willing to drive down and lend a hand or two also.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, March 26, 2012 6:26 AM
Yeah man, family always comes first, the car is just that, a car. But damn, you cannot catch a break with that damn thing at all can you? Let it sit for a while and let the desire to work on it build back up, it will happen, just slowly gather the parts piece by piece and everyone here will band together and get this thing on the road (more importantly the track). Keep at it bro and take care of that family, they are number 1 (not that I have to tell you that).

Monday, March 26, 2012 8:50 AM
yeah just let the car sit till you find a good deal on a transmission. slap it in and just enjoy the car and stop worrying about hitting that number. most people on the street arn't hitting 300hp as it is. just enjoy it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Monday, March 26, 2012 5:44 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:I'm willing to drive down and lend a hand or two also.

Me too. This thing needs to be on the road.

Theres a cheap as f*ck manual swap in Mid East right now. I considered it but I dont have the room to do it or the room to store the parts.

Monday, March 26, 2012 7:45 PM
Great numbers man. I hate that the tranny went on ya, but take care of your fam and the Cav will be waiting.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:43 AM
Thanks again fellas, although im happy with the power, i just know there is more in it. The tranny wouldnt allow it so w/e. Car has been parked, just waiting for a free day to start tearin out the tranny to see what the issue is and go from there.

306 TQ
Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:24 AM
In all reality there could have been an issue with the trans already, perhaps it was on its way out but not quite showing signs and the power just finished it off.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search