The rebirth of GlowingCavy: Boosted Z - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
The rebirth of GlowingCavy: Boosted Z
Monday, April 23, 2012 4:42 PM
Some of you may remember me on here from about 8 years ago under the name GlowinCavy. Pic:

It was my first cav that I took to modifying pretty heavily. Took first in my class in almost every show I went to back then. Turboed it when that was a pretty damn rare thing to have on a j-body. Only a hand full of us where boosted back then. I was running about 8lbs boost for a while, but as we all know, you eventually want more. I ended up tearing into the engine and rebuilding everything bigger and better. Tranny was an auto, so I had a "tranny guy" rebuilt the stock 4t40e so it could handle the 400+whp I was shooting for. Well he ended up giving me back a grand am tranny that wouldn't work. So long story short, I lost motivation, got out of the scene, and that car sat for about 7-8 years waiting for the newly rebuilt engine and a tranny to go in. The boost bug bit me again when I decided to boost my daily driver (Dodge Nitro) so I said it was time to finish the cav. I ended up buying a coupe and transferring everything I wanted over. After a few months of work on the new setup and a ton of body work, its finally done. My first time painting a car too, but turned out pretty good all in all. I did a bright white with silver pearl and a light coat of pearl over the carbon on the hood and bumper. Well with all that said, I'll let the pics finish the story of how it turned out.

The rebirth of Glowing cavy: Boosted Z

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Re: The rebirth of GlowingCavy: Boosted Z
Monday, April 23, 2012 5:02 PM
Looks killer man. Love it. Not a huge fan of the fenders or lack of tails but super clean bay and outside

Monday, April 23, 2012 5:42 PM
Nice! I remember seeing your car at bling fling in Lorain ohio

Monday, April 23, 2012 5:54 PM
Nice! Love the color, looks like you did great on the paint.

Monday, April 23, 2012 6:01 PM
car looks good some advice for future paint jobs if you look at the pic of the hood you can see what appears to be clouds in it thats because there wasnt an even coat of clear applied

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Monday, April 23, 2012 6:16 PM
I recall the OG, love the new, amazed it's still around.

Monday, April 23, 2012 6:38 PM
Thanks everyone.

Seamless-Yeah I remember seeing yours there too. Either orange or maybe even green way back then. That was a fun night. Good times. They put me in the wrong class there. I took first in Import mild instead of being in domestic wild like usual. I think you too first in that class IIRC.

MIllerBilt- Yeah, I know. Its not really noticeable in person though. That was with just one light coat too. I did 2 coast on the bumper to smooth that out, but that ended up being too much pearl for my liking, so the hook only got the one. Mix less pearl if going over carbon. Lesson learned.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Monday, April 23, 2012 6:39 PM
I remember you from way back when. Welcome back dude. What happened with the vert shell?

Monday, April 23, 2012 6:44 PM
The graphics on the vert were painted on (kandy). It got keyed, so I ended up sanding all the paint off to start over since I wasn't able to ever match the kandy. That was about 8 years ago. I ended up scrapping the vert since it really wasn't in the condition I wanted any more.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Monday, April 23, 2012 7:11 PM
Clean car. Only changes I would make is a wing (00-02), and toyota tails.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 3:34 AM
Looks good man.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:18 AM
Lookin good man!
Definitely remember the car. And pretty sure we had some good times too..

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:32 AM
Welcome back, gotta say I love the new car, way better compared to the old one.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:52 PM
looking good. where in ohio are you im just west of cleveland.

Sig thanks to bxmobkrazey on gmscf.com
Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:23 PM
Jnick-sure did.

Evan-Just east of Cleveland.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:35 PM
its nice and refreshing to see people come back to this world as we have lost so many...

love the new car and your amition towards it. like others have probably said, no a fan of the body kit but it looks nicely done so you still get props!

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:28 AM
Wow man welcome back I remember the car. So is the new J still auto, or did you go manual?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:44 AM
New one is also auto, which I'm regretting now. I believe its slipping in med boost (10psi+) and doesn't want to shift fast enough to avoid bouncing off the rev limiter. It's prob only a matter or time before I need a new tranny. Not sure if I want to go the expensive route and have an auto rebuilt that can handle it, or do the harder route and do a 5 speed swap when the time comes. You're having issues with your auto at decent boost levels too, weren't you?

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:54 AM
4T40E holds up fine for me. 228,000 miles (on trans).

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Wednesday, April 25, 2012 9:34 AM
I like it even with all the vents everywhere and the dated wheels! Has its own look goin on.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 9:50 AM
5 speed swap! wat numbers is it pushing now?

GMR has got nothing on this

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:46 AM
Not sure. Haven't been to the dyno yet. I want to get the the track first. A timeslip means more to me than a dyno number. Hopefully this weekend if the weather is good. Then assuming all holds up fine, dyno a little later once I get my boost dialed in where I want it.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 11:43 AM
--Boosted Z-- wrote:A timeslip means more to me than a dyno number.

Same here. Dyno numbers have such a wide variation. Track times tell how the car actually performs, in a manner that is easily compared with any other track time.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:17 PM
Screw the numbers. How does it feel?
Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:34 PM
Yep my "fully built" auto died on the dyno after 4 pulls. I managed 328hp out of it before it wouldnt shift anymore in 2 or 3. The car has been sitting ever since, collecting 5 speed parts as we speak. I may or may not finish it, just depends on if I get time.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search