97 Cavalier w 88K Orig Miles (and Original Owner To Boot) - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 Cavalier w 88K Orig Miles (and Original Owner To Boot)
Wednesday, August 08, 2012 10:33 PM
Hello All,
I stopped by the Newbies section and said hello with a post and these pictures of my Cavalier. As pointed out to me by a friend (not a member here) who stopped to look and said,"Um, you know they have a forum section for pictures to be posted in right?" Ooops...probably not the best place to put up pics since someone would probably be expecting them here in the "Photos" section instead. Oh well, it usually takes me until about the third match till I learn about getting burned.
Sooo...Thought I'd put them up here in case anyone would like to see a low mileage Cav that's completely original (as far as I can remember from over the years). A warped head a couple years back was the worst. Most of it's life has been in the North East region of the US and it's done very well against the winter rust. I take it to the car wash a couple times in the winter to use a high power hose to blast the underneath of it.

Reason I found this forum was from having to do some airbag work on the car a couple weeks back and I came across some posts here from Google.
Probably when you hear me mention "airbags" you think the car was seriously damaged, but actually in this case it was something of a perfect accident to set off the bags, but not really do anything serious otherwise. Unfortunately the passenger side airbag dash cover blew out the windshield so that had to be fixed. That was the only part I didn't do...simply cause I didn't feel like the hassle of pulling one from a yard and installing it. It wasn't worth the effort when someone else could do it in about 20 minutes for not too much,
The top of the front bumper cover was smudged a bit when the car squatted from hitting the brakes (went under the other bumper), but that buffed out. However, the paint was not able to flex as much as the bumper so I do have some spiderweb cracks in the bumper now. From flexing down it cracked some of the cross pieces in the grill but that's not too obvious to the casual view. Eventually I'll get a replacement bumper over to make it look nice again. Even though the hood flexed enough for the airbag sensor to be set off, there's no damage to it. Even the sensor looks physically undamaged (I did change it out anyways when I replaced the airbags). I had to send the airbag computer module (DERM) that's under the passengers seat away to get reset as dealerships won't do that service, besides I think it was cheaper to do that even if they would've been wiling to do so.
Last bit of damage is something not too easy to fix cosmetically. When the airbag cover plate blew out on the passenger side, in addition to breaking the windshield, it also made a rather large hole in the cowl section directly under the windshield. And since this is part of entire dash it's not easily swappable. I know there's a company out there that makes a replacement section you can doubletape over that but I'm not going that route. The light blue interior seems to be an uncommon color,so I was actually surprised when I found one at a pull n pay. It has a tiny crack in the cowl area but I'm going to swap dashes and work on fixing my original in one format or another. Part of the reason I'm not leaving the replacement dash in is the small crack, but also because it's not in quite as good shape....that's one of the problems with used cosmetic parts from junkyards anymore....these cars have usually been beaten pretty hard by the time they go to the yard.

Anyways...that was more than I meant to get into on this post. So here's my 97 Cavalier. It's a base model and no exotic options etc. As I said in my post in the Newbie section, wish I could get you all excited about this being some rare Cavalier but..it's not. Just low mileage that's been taken pretty decent care of. It's treated my family well over the years with only a couple little problems and I'd have to say pretty dependable over all.
Excuse me if I repeat (or expand) some of the comments I made on these pictures in my other thread. If anyone would like more information on my Cavs history, or condition of anything or what's up with the low miles just ask.
Keep in mind that all these pictures are from after the airbags blowing: Bags replaced (and bag system reset), windshield replaced, bumper buffed, etc....no bodywork,no polishing otherwise (just a quick wash)

1997 Cavalier (built 9/96) ; 88,000 miles; base model; 15" wheels

2.2L engine; automatic transmission; Someplace around here in a file cabinet I still have the window sticker

Before anyone comments, my wife has problems with curbs...so wheel covers (used from the yard) are cheaper than bent custom rims. Plus, this is what came from the factory
This is still the original paint on the car. Couple small paint chips in the hood area but not large enough to be noticed normally

You can see the original muffler, and original exhaust. I had to change out the muffler strap hanger a couple years back but that's it.

Manual windows and locks (but power mirrors). Has cruise,intermittent wipers and tilt. Oh, the radio was changed out at least ten years ago. I still have the original someplace in a box around here.
If you look at the dash you can see the hole caused by the airbag plate flying up. I'll try an idea to fix that once it's out of the car.

The carpet is a bit dirty, sorry bout that! The hump where your left foot rests just can't be kept clean. These are the original floormats. I normally keep larger aftermarket mats over top of them. I also pulled back part of the seatcover so you can see the pattern of the material. I've had covers on the seats since I bought the car so they're in about the shape they were when new.

Backseat area is in good condition too...there seems to be two different materials that were used for the light blue interiors in 97..the one I pulled the dash out of at the yard seems to be a "slicker" or tighter weave than mine, which is a pity as I would've taken the seats just for spares considering how hard a time I have finding light blue interior anything

So that's the show. Hope this brings a bit of a "Wow, so that's what they looked like back then grandpa" feeling if nothing else. And if you still don't like it just let me know and I'll take my markers and go home.

Re: 97 Cavalier w 88K Orig Miles (and Original Owner To Boot)
Thursday, August 09, 2012 7:21 AM
Wow, so that's what they looked like back then grandpa?

Nice car. You seem to have taken great care of it.

Thursday, August 09, 2012 2:29 PM
lol...you know back in the 90s if you had someplace detail your car they had to use two guys. One to run the buffer, and the other to turn the crank handle on the back to make it spin. Those were the dark ages.

One reason the paint is still in good condition is that most of it's life, it's been garaged or under a carport when not driven. That certainly helps.
Thursday, August 09, 2012 6:48 PM
It brings tear to my eye to see a crap-a-lier in such great shape. Even if it's just a base model.
Wish mine was in that nice of condition.
By the way, this is a compliment. I have a serious issue with these cars. I'm going to be hoarding them when I have some land to put them on.

keep up the good work.

Thursday, August 09, 2012 7:04 PM
I like it! She looks really good for her age....

Here in MI, they get eaten alive by salt, so many of them are rusted out here. So it's nice to see a good example out there still floating around out there....

http://www.autotalk.com/pictures/data/1536/medium/2005_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Xtreme_002_autotalk_com_.jpg
Friday, August 10, 2012 6:12 AM
wow she looks amazing for her age. That color is beautiful.

My Freya is the same year, but a z. She' doesn't look TOO bad, but the acid rain a few weeks back ate her clear alive.

May the odds be ever in you favor.....

Friday, August 10, 2012 7:39 PM
By far, my favorite factory color. Your's looks amazing for the age, and the mileage is a definite plus. Kudos for such a well-maintained car.

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Friday, August 10, 2012 11:29 PM
Thanks for the compliments everyone! I wish light blue was a bit more common to find for used parts (they don't seem to be where I'm at), but it just makes this one extra special.
I was thinking of changing things up a bit when I get a new front and going with a Z nose, but I've heard that because of the more closed in area (even with the air dam to route from below) it can cause higher engine temps (slightly). I've always had some issues with cooling so probably won't go that route. Besides, I've gotten used to the smile on the front over all these years.
Saturday, August 11, 2012 1:39 AM
I think a lot of people in a car community, no matter how mod crazy they get, have respect for a well maintained stock car. Personally, I just think its nice to see someone who takes care of their vehicle.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Saturday, August 11, 2012 8:42 AM
Wow amazing shape.. how clean is the engine bay?

Saturday, August 11, 2012 6:17 PM
SLO CAV (no more) now slosaab wrote:Wow amazing shape.. how clean is the engine bay?

Ummm....LOOK BOY!, THERE'S A SQUIRREL!! GO GET IT! FORGET ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE! GOOD BOY!
Ok,...did he forget his question? Yes! The good old squirrel distraction trick wins again...

Well, on a serious note now,...thanks for the reminder about the engine bay needing a cleaning. Something I've been meaning (and forgetting) to do the last couple times I've pulled out the hose. Shoot, I feel guilty now.
The engine bay is about as stock as day one. Couple years back the alternator fried (totally my fault from a hurried jump I was giving to someone else) so that's been replaced. Almost two years back the starter was replaced, for, believe it or not a Passlock problem (no joke and it fixed it after the Chevy dealership had it for about a month and after they changed the ignition in the column with no joy), and the head was redone a couple years back. But you could probably pull out a GM stock photo from 1997 someplace on the net and it'd be a pretty close match.
I'll put something up of the "after bath" when I get a chance...no sense me airing my dirty laundry (i.e., engine)

Hope you don't mind my sense of humor at the beginning....I've got a simple mind and tend to go with simple humor.

Sunday, August 12, 2012 12:21 PM
Ah I had a 97 so I know what it looks like lol....

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search