3+ years in the making... - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3+ years in the making...
Sunday, January 20, 2013 8:59 PM
I finally got my motor built and in the car after 3+ years of reading and collecting parts! I will be adding a turbo at some point in the future but the wife said we are buying a house first.

Specs:
2.4L block (Fetters old block) bored 60 over (I think)
Jet Titanium rods
Diamond pistons, about 9.3:1 CR with thermal coating on the top
Total seal rings
Clevite 77 bearings
ARP Main and head hardware
W41 Cams modded for CPS and LD9 power steering
Custom Titanium valve spring retainers
Crower Valve springs(Part Number: 68190-16)
1mm oversized SS valves
Mcmoney's adjustable cam gear kit
13 LBS steel flywheel w/ARP bolts
Bully stage 3 clutch w/ARP pressure plate bolts
Rebuilt OBX LSD
TTR upper engine and trans mounts
LSJ injectors
Dyno Tuned by PSI (Portland Speed Industries)
For everything else my registry is up to date

Because the angle at which the LD9 flange was welded my HO manifold doesn't clear the block/trans area near the starter. I have ordered a phenolic spacer from OEM to hopefully provide the clearance needed, I also have a 60mm 2.3 TB that will be going on with the manifold. Final baseline dyno was 145 WHP and TQ out to stock redline, the power was about flat by then so we didn't see a need to go higher. The plan is to retune with the new intake setup and mess with the cam timing after I put some miles on it and my bank account recoups. I didn't change the exhaust because of time/money constraints and its going to be redone with the turbo anyway.

PS3 ID: Phatchance249
MW3 FTW!

Re: 3+ years in the making...
Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:05 PM
Cool, post the graph up.

Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:29 PM
I was so focused on the car I didn't even think of asking for a print out. The tuner puts a vid of every dyno tune on their site with the graph, I will let you know when they upload it. Tuner's website is: tunedbypsi.com.

MW3 FTW!
Monday, January 21, 2013 1:00 AM
I'll check it out.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:27 AM
More pictures for sure.

Mark

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Friday, January 25, 2013 7:23 PM
Yea more pics!

GMR has got nothing on this
Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:20 AM
Forgot I had taken a pic of the graphs with my phone, lens is jacked up so please excuse the fuzz. Because of some fitment issues that a phenolic spacer from Mark is hopefully fixing I should have better numbers after I install the HO manifold/TB and get it retuned.

Still waiting for the tuner to upload the dyno vid but here is one I took of a cold start with only a few miles on it.

MW3 FTW!
Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:01 PM
so glad this build worked out.

any luck on fitting the HO mani yet? god i hope thats the problem.

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Saturday, February 02, 2013 8:26 AM
I think the mani, the exhaust, and the lack of a good long "get it right" tune will liven this thing up. Seems to me the tuner just got it safely running so it wont melt down. Brad, you of all people should know brad that a good tune can liven an engine up quite a bit. There is no reason he shouldn't be able to pull off 180+whp with the current setup.

Saturday, February 02, 2013 8:27 AM
Oh yes, first and foremost, I am glad to finally see this thing come together!

Saturday, February 02, 2013 8:36 AM
Zs Z wrote:Oh yes, first and foremost, I am glad to finally see this thing come together!

No, first and foremost, get rid of that WIFE!!!!!
No women should tell you what to do with your money.
Boost that shiat!

Saturday, February 02, 2013 10:48 AM
Trying to fit the manifold later today, have to wait for my dad to open his shop so I can use his tools. I am with you guys, happy its running well but anxious to get it tuned properly. I'll post pictures later.

MW3 FTW!
Saturday, February 02, 2013 11:57 AM
Bobby Higgins wrote:
Zs Z wrote:Oh yes, first and foremost, I am glad to finally see this thing come together!

Boost that shiat!

^THIS

Turbo = $2500
House= $150,000

turbo first before you have house payments lol.
Saturday, February 02, 2013 12:04 PM
Shawn McKenzie wrote:Trying to fit the manifold later today, have to wait for my dad to open his shop so I can use his tools. I am with you guys, happy its running well but anxious to get it tuned properly. I'll post pictures later.

I would also get your own tools first too, how are you going to do home repairs and auto repairs without your own set of tools?

People seem too lost in reality nowwadays.
Saturday, February 02, 2013 12:07 PM
Spencer wrote:
Bobby Higgins wrote:

Boost that shiat!

^THIS

Turbo = $2500
House= $150,000

turbo first before you have house payments lol.

BTW, he lives in Oregon, 150K for a house, lol ha ha yeah right.
I have an office out in the suburbs of Portland Oregon, and I wanted to transfer there till I found out a new build is about 360K.
Ill stay in NY until I bring in 6+ figures, which shouldnt be too much longer ..... Then Ill move out there.
Saturday, February 02, 2013 6:31 PM
wow, midwest ftw, $150-175k will land you real nice place.
Saturday, February 02, 2013 7:34 PM
Yea, houses are hard to come by less then $200,000 and that would be a 1980's throw back style. I'm working at his shop for the drill press, air compressor and space to work. I got plenty of hand tools but no place to work at our townhouse. Bobby maybe we can hook up next time your out here, it would be nice to have someone who has modded a J and cares about them look at it.

As for the car, it looks like the spacer is going to be enough with some slight trimming to the bottom of the manifold but won't know for sure until I start it. Have a tennis match tonight so I had to leave it but looks like the worst is behind me. Still have to figure out where I'm getting vacuum for the break booster, the bored HO TB I got doesn't have the hose nipple for it. Also last time I tried to run a HO TB I couldn't ever get it to idle right, I have read to use the 2.3L IAC but mixed results about the TPS, 2.3 or 2.4 sensor? I have to turn the 2.3 TPS I got about 1/2" to get the mounting holes to line up, is that normal?

MW3 FTW!
Sunday, February 03, 2013 4:20 PM
iirc doesnt the back of the HO mani have a big vaccum fitting for the brake booster?

Sunday, February 03, 2013 10:14 PM
Then where do I hook the PCV hose to?

No luck with the manifold, not sure what it was but it wouldn't idle right and the wire harness by the starter was getting pinched by the manifold. I had to put it back with the stock manifold so its drivable for work tomorrow but as I was doing so realized I hadn't connected the MAP sensor to the HO manifold and is the probable reason for the bad idle. I'm contemplating having a custom manifold made now instead of waiting for the turbo using the cast LD9 flange and 70mm Vortec TB.

MW3 FTW!
Monday, February 04, 2013 11:59 AM
Glad to see another ld9 come together.

Hopefully you get all the bugs worked out and get a better tune on that thing. I would have figured it would have more power than that.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 10:30 AM
Just ordered the larger spacer from Mark (OEM) but its a week turn time so its going to be a while.

Quote:

I would have figured it would have more power than that.

Me 2, but in addition to the manifold/TB issue we only revved it to the stock limiter, its got another 1K rpm at least to make power with the HO manifold/TB. It also feels a lot stronger since that night, I wouldn't be surprised if its picked up a few since then due to the motor being broken in.

The one surprise of the whole build is the difference the LSD makes. I have all seasons on it right now in cold/damp conditions and it doesn't slide around like it used to. Even when I'm not powering through corners it still feels more solid and predictable, I would recommend a LSD to everyone. Can't wait to play around this summer when I put my traklites wrapped with Hancook V12's on and really tear it up.

MW3 FTW!

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 3:11 PM
that pcv hose is supposed to go to the intake tube. thats where it goes stock....

and damn i swear HO manifold installs are hit and miss when it comes to working properly lol

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 6:11 PM
Zs Z wrote:I think the mani, the exhaust, and the lack of a good long "get it right" tune will liven this thing up. Seems to me the tuner just got it safely running so it wont melt down. Brad, you of all people should know brad that a good tune can liven an engine up quite a bit. There is no reason he shouldn't be able to pull off 180+whp with the current setup.

I think the 9.3:1 would be a good reason why it wont. The DCR with W41 cams probably isnt the best. Long duration and low SCR. Itll be a nasty turbo engine though!

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 11:04 PM
I agree with you Brian and while I may have been hoping for 180+ whp, I would be happy with 160+ once the manifolds are swapped. Also agree it should be an awesome turbo motor once we get it dialed in, still a little uneasy about the difficulty of tuning it the W41's on boost, but the cam gears should help with that.

On the subject of turbos, I'm trying to do some reading on turbos and wanted to know people's thoughts about size, brand and features (BB, # of blades, coatings, etc) The turbo plans are for 350-400 whp with good midrange and response because it is my daily driver and it will mostly see street use with occasional autoX and track events.

MW3 FTW!
Wednesday, February 06, 2013 6:40 AM
just remember shawn, scott made over 500whp with w41 cams and turbo with absolutely no cam timing.

far as turbos go, GT35 seems to be the one the LD9 loves.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search