#cavnasty. (that other teal/silver cavalier) - Page 5 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: #cavnasty. (that other teal/silver cavalier)
Tuesday, March 12, 2013 6:45 PM
do two shorai lithium ion batteries and still be lighter than that thing!

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 6:46 PM
Qwik2k2z24 wrote:
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) wrote:if you want my input on smaller batteries:

they're not bad. if you plan on starting the car at least once a day, and plan on NOT leaving your headlights on for more than an hour.

I have a 17lbs battery, nice small footprint, nice n light. but man, it's really let me down more than once. and the Absorbed Glass Mat batteries can easily get fried on normal battery chargers/ car starters. they need a special trickle-charge unit or some BS that I don't feel like adding to my 'rally-in-car-emergency-tool-kit'.

I'm going to be ditching my lightweight battery and mounting a full size in the rear someplace this spring. My sunfire has been sitting for weeks, and still starts up no problem.

I let blue sit for 2 days and it acts like it's been there for two years.

the CCA of the battery is rated for "cold winters" but apparently they're a bit optimistic.

You just made my night. My Optima hasn't seen a charger all winter and I only start the car once a week (if that). Zero issues and doesn't even struggle. Might as well keep the weight over these front tires anyways!

yea, just find a nifty place to hide it in the bumper or something and stick full size. especially if you plan on parking the car for long periods of time and expect it to start if it's anywhere even close to 50F outside.

when the car is running, it's fine. I have a stereo with a 12" sub and it hits plenty hard, almost no noticeable headlight dim at all. As long as your alternator is healthy, the car will be fine when it's running.

but HavBlue is a DD, so when I need it to start when it's cold outside, it's not easy. sometimes it almost doesn't start. a few times, (after leaving headlights on or parking lights on for a while (an hour or more) the car won't start at all. jumping it is sometimes nerve racking because for whatever reason, the car won't "catch" after the battery is depleted. Not sure exactly why....

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:06 AM
The only real down fall I have had with lightweight batteries is if the sit for a while, or you drain them down a lot....they will fail fast.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:31 AM
Qwik2k2z24 wrote:
newt wrote:Now everyone has that keychain, that was the coolest part of my car.

You just had to take that from me, didn't you?

LOL. Yes. I actively did that.

I saw one posted in the classifieds section then did a quick search on eBay. $6 shipped is something I couldn't pass up!

You sir, are a rapscallion.

I hear by challenge you to a duel, winner gets to keep the keychain...

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:29 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:do two shorai lithium ion batteries and still be lighter than that thing!

While I'm sure that's true. I have no desire for that. lol

DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) wrote:
Qwik2k2z24 wrote:
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) wrote:if you want my input on smaller batteries:

they're not bad. if you plan on starting the car at least once a day, and plan on NOT leaving your headlights on for more than an hour.

I have a 17lbs battery, nice small footprint, nice n light. but man, it's really let me down more than once. and the Absorbed Glass Mat batteries can easily get fried on normal battery chargers/ car starters. they need a special trickle-charge unit or some BS that I don't feel like adding to my 'rally-in-car-emergency-tool-kit'.

I'm going to be ditching my lightweight battery and mounting a full size in the rear someplace this spring. My sunfire has been sitting for weeks, and still starts up no problem.

I let blue sit for 2 days and it acts like it's been there for two years.

the CCA of the battery is rated for "cold winters" but apparently they're a bit optimistic.

You just made my night. My Optima hasn't seen a charger all winter and I only start the car once a week (if that). Zero issues and doesn't even struggle. Might as well keep the weight over these front tires anyways!

yea, just find a nifty place to hide it in the bumper or something and stick full size. especially if you plan on parking the car for long periods of time and expect it to start if it's anywhere even close to 50F outside.

when the car is running, it's fine. I have a stereo with a 12" sub and it hits plenty hard, almost no noticeable headlight dim at all. As long as your alternator is healthy, the car will be fine when it's running.

but HavBlue is a DD, so when I need it to start when it's cold outside, it's not easy. sometimes it almost doesn't start. a few times, (after leaving headlights on or parking lights on for a while (an hour or more) the car won't start at all. jumping it is sometimes nerve racking because for whatever reason, the car won't "catch" after the battery is depleted. Not sure exactly why....

I appreciate all the input my man! definitely putting the Optima in the wheel well. I have the room.

-MD- Enforcer wrote:The only real down fall I have had with lightweight batteries is if the sit for a while, or you drain them down a lot....they will fail fast.

Since the car isn't a true daily driver, I don't feel the need to risk it!

newt wrote:
Qwik2k2z24 wrote:
newt wrote:Now everyone has that keychain, that was the coolest part of my car.

You just had to take that from me, didn't you?

LOL. Yes. I actively did that.

I saw one posted in the classifieds section then did a quick search on eBay. $6 shipped is something I couldn't pass up!

You sir, are a rapscallion.

I hear by challenge you to a duel, winner gets to keep the keychain...

Choose your weapon wisely.....

Another package scheduled to arrive today!

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:35 AM
Knife fight?

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:01 AM
newt wrote:Knife fight?

real men fight with beards...just saying

awaiting more updates

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:21 AM
I just started growing my beard back in and I have a SWYD t-shirt....

I feel confident.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 12:43 PM
newt wrote:I just started growing my beard back in and I have a SWYD t-shirt....

I feel confident.

LOL!!!

Turbo blanket by qwik2k2z24, on Flickr

An attempt to keep under hood temps down and save my hood.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 12:44 PM
Ooooh turbo blanket.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:09 PM
^^^^ lol

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:55 PM
why moar ppl dont run those ill never understand. they look so sexy and are functional as hell.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:41 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:why moar ppl dont run those ill never understand. they look so sexy and are functional as hell.

Turbo blanket sexy?

Not when you have a t76 with chrome.

FU Tuning

Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:24 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:why moar ppl dont run those ill never understand. they look so sexy and are functional as hell.

Turbo blanket sexy?

gotta agree here...i mean ceramic coating on your hot side will do the same thing and avoid the need for a blanket

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:12 AM
Yea man I like my sexay ceramic coating to be seen,

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:23 AM
The Jew wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:

Turbo blanket sexy?

gotta agree here...i mean ceramic coating on your hot side will do the same thing and avoid the need for a blanket

While I personally never made the argument that a "ceramic coated t76" looks better than my garbage, I would like to see someone grab the turbine side of a ceramic coated turbo after a dyno pull..

Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:53 AM
The Jew wrote:

x2

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:18 AM
there isnt a "need" for the blanket nor the ceramic coating... but both together would help keep the bay temps down way better than just the coating...

Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:49 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:there isnt a "need" for the blanket nor the ceramic coating... but both together would help keep the bay temps down way better than just the coating...

Truth.

Not ceramic coating the turbine side this season guys. Get over it and troll on.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:14 PM
I see no trolling. Merely suggestions and input...

How much is a blanket? Do they come SFI certified? I know for altered vehicles at the track per NHRA, Turbo blanket is required for vehicles that were non factory turbo... I am looking for one since I want to stay legal as possible....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:16 PM

Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:24 PM
Not sure on the SFI cert part, but I can get a turbo blanket for around $44 plus shipping for a T3, and about $10 more for a T4.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:27 PM

FU Tuning

Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:47 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:Not sure on the SFI cert part, but I can get a turbo blanket for around $44 plus shipping for a T3, and about $10 more for a T4.

Not bad at all, Is there a difference in heat shield vs Turbo blanket?

Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:05 PM
There's a difference between a build thread and turbo blanket discussion thread.

I'll tell you that much.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:23 PM
lol joe

Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:35 PM
Joe Schulte wrote:There's a difference between a build thread and turbo blanket discussion thread.

I'll tell you that much.

Thanks dude.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search