#cavnasty. (that other teal/silver cavalier) - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
#cavnasty. (that other teal/silver cavalier)
Monday, February 25, 2013 9:00 PM
Well... No big changes from me. Simply improving on the areas that needed some attention. Here's where I am at with 2013 improvements. Every photo was taken with my iPhone 4. Pardon the quality on some..

I purchased OG Nick's Cavalier after his transmission slave took one last dump on him. I promptly removed all the aftermarket parts. Some will be put to good use on my car this season. The engine/transmission parted ways and were sold to two separate Craigslist buyers. The fate of the body is unknown.

Seen here in my Uncle's barn where many vehicles have met their demise:

Untitled by qwik2k2z24, on Flickr

For anyone who has seen my VIS CF hood in person.. You know how badly it needed some love. The clear coat was flaking off in large amounts which was the main reason it was never on the car over the summer. While attempting to carefully place the hood in storage I managed to chip off the driver's side corner near A pillar. It was time to give it some loving. A local friend offered his services and the hood is better than new. I will be using DEI tunnel wrap on the entire bottom side of the hood to prevent heat from potentially damaging the hood in the future. Most likely the reason was poor prep/cheap clear however.

In the process of peeling/sanding off the clear coat.

Did not take any pictures of the chipped corner. I was way to embarrassed to document that! Here's the corner all fixed.

Cleared:

One of the modifications I took off Nick's car to use on mine was his Tein Basic setup. He had the front struts rebuilt a few years back and Tein made them adjustable just like an SS. Rears are still not adjustable when it comes to damper. I will be running my current pillow ball front camber plates with the Teins. For the rear I purchased 2" shorter springs (Thanks David for the part number!). The shorter springs will be combined with my Overkill Engineering solid pillow ball rear mounts. This should allow plenty of adjustment front and rear along with a much improved ride quality over my current Ground Control/Tokico Dspec setup. While all parts are in perfect working order.. Their appearance was less than satisfactory for me. Currently I have the rear shocks sandblasted, primed, and painted. Fronts will be done shortly and I will be adding a personal touch before they receive clear coat.

Spring 2013 cavalier by qwik2k2z24, on Flickr

Corner lights needed some loving. Color was fading fast and they have seen a few years of rock chips. I seem to go through this process every couple of years, never gets old! Treated them to some fresh layers of Duplicolor Metal-cast orange. They are awaiting clear coat.

Now....while I LOVED this dash as a conversation piece for most people. I opted to clean up the interior this year. First plan was to relocate the radio, run a delete panel which would hold two gauges, then run a completely stock radio bezel... Jeff Wybrow graciously gave me a JDM OEM Honda Accord radio delete panel.. I proceeded to modify for gauges.

Towards the end of the process I was second guessing the idea... Then Jason Cooley announced that he would be selling this.. A Brandon Fetter build gauge pod radio bezel. Color and finish are spot on. Super pumped to install this piece.

The wide band will not be going in place of the power point this time around. I will be using a Jon Fisher built column pod that I have had laying around since his part out. It still needs some refinishing.

These god awful GM PP long studs will be going away.

They are being replaced with these sexy sexy studs.

Added to the tap handle shift knob collection.

Snagged the Schroth harness from Nick's car.

Then my new wheel setup. This setup is purely aesthetic as I am keeping my Trak Lites for possible auto X abusing. Thanks again PJ for being understanding in our deal.

Setup will be a 17x9 in 28mm offset with a "skinny" Falken 512 in 215/45/17. I crave some poke/stretch in my life. The rear suspension will be another degree of camber totalling 2* out back. Rear wheels will receive a 10mm spacer to add some flare. Front is almost spot on without a spacer. They will not be staying this color.

Joe Schulte brought me a spare 225/45/17 Hankook he had laying around. I mounted for fitment purposes and I wasn't happy with it but it got be super close to what I wanted to see. As you can tell it's simply going to be too much tire for the ride height I am after.

Where she lies in wait for spring time modifying next to a blown (and also blown up) 4.6L Mustang GT.

Non pictured items:
Neon rear disc swap off Nick's car.
Addco rear sway bar off Nick's car. Color TBD.
AEM alternator/UR crank pulleys off Nick's car.
Sub frame brace off Nick's car.
Having the roof vinyl wrapped gloss black.
Engine bay clean up w/ battery relocate.

I'm getting itchy.... Updates to follow...

Oh. And a throwback:

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog

Re: #cavnasty. (that other teal/silver cavalier)
Monday, February 25, 2013 9:08 PM
I love you, my teal/silver homie.
Monday, February 25, 2013 9:09 PM
yessssssss!!

Monday, February 25, 2013 9:23 PM
Well if you weren't 800 miles away I would snag the shell but ill find one closer lol looking fwd to more updates

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Monday, February 25, 2013 9:24 PM
diggin it thus far.

+100 for woodchuck cider. stuff is baller.

whenever we hang out in the future, buy me a woodchuck cider, I'll buy you one, and all is well on the willlllllllls!

Monday, February 25, 2013 10:07 PM
Wheel teaser pics are GAYYYYYY

gay

Looking forward to more.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:29 AM
How good of condition are the floor mats?
Are they the originals?

Looks great man.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:36 AM
Looks like a great big wagon of gay!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:40 AM
Yuengling shift knob or GTFO.

Seriously though looks baller. Sub'ed for updates.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:02 AM
looking good

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:16 AM
Nice work Jay.

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:33 AM
Updates always approved. I'm glad to see that someone has enough sense to run DOT approved harnesses.
Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:56 AM
Swaaaagggggggg

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:23 AM
Looks great!

It's posts like these when I wish my car wasn't just a lowered Sunfire on 16's with holes in the rear bumper

Those ARP 3.25" wheel studs are nice, till you have to thread the lug nuts on.....I curse those damn things every time I go to the drag strip...makes changing out front tires twice as long.

Do yourself a favor and if you plan on changing wheels somewhere where you don't have access to air tools, bring an electric impact.

Turning those on by hand gets old real fast.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:33 AM
newt wrote:Looks great!

It's posts like these when I wish my car wasn't just a lowered Sunfire on 16's with holes in the rear bumper

Those ARP 3.25" wheel studs are nice, till you have to thread the lug nuts on.....I curse those damn things every time I go to the drag strip...makes changing out front tires twice as long.

Do yourself a favor and if you plan on changing wheels somewhere where you don't have access to air tools, bring an electric impact.

Snap-on 3/8 drive cordless impact always in hand! The GMPP studs were the same way. Grows tiresome when swapping.

:-)

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:39 AM
Qwik2k2z24 wrote:

Snap-on 3/8 drive cordless impact always in hand! The GMPP studs were the same way. Grows tiresome when swapping.

Smart man, I still haven't sacked up and bought one.

I use my buddies when he comes racing, otherwise I sit on the ground and think of all the better things I could be doing if I wasn't wasting nearly 5mins of my life turning on lug nuts.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:47 AM
newt wrote:
Qwik2k2z24 wrote:

Smart man, I still haven't sacked up and bought one.

I use my buddies when he comes racing, otherwise I sit on the ground and think of all the better things I could be doing if I wasn't wasting nearly 5mins of my life turning on lug nuts.

I literally bursted out laughing at this!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:06 AM
LOL ya it blows hard, especially if I get to the track late and am trying to make it into the tech lanes before they get really busy.

PS. Quick question, do you know what your car makes for power? Or a guesstimate of what it makes? I asked Jeff to ask you, and maybe he did and he already told me and I have simply forgotten, but I'm curious. I'm slightly concerned I will be in need of a cage this season.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:31 AM
newt wrote:LOL ya it blows hard, especially if I get to the track late and am trying to make it into the tech lanes before they get really busy.

PS. Quick question, do you know what your car makes for power? Or a guesstimate of what it makes? I asked Jeff to ask you, and maybe he did and he already told me and I have simply forgotten, but I'm curious. I'm slightly concerned I will be in need of a cage this season.

I am honestly not sure right now. When it was using an internal gate I made 282whp/342tq with a boost spike of 15 lbs followed by 11psi holding. Dyno graph was laughable!

My 12.2 @ 113mph run was with my Tial 38mm at 15psi solid. I am going to roughly say 290-330whp..

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:49 AM
Interesting....I might be pretty darn close to needing a cage then....dammit!

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:10 PM
newt wrote:Interesting....I might be pretty darn close to needing a cage then....dammit!

Thanks!

Do what I plan on doing... Cage it after you get kicked out!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:28 PM
Qwik2k2z24 wrote:
newt wrote:Interesting....I might be pretty darn close to needing a cage then....dammit!

Thanks!

At what ET do you need a cage?? I thought it was 11.99 and faster

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:52 PM
11.49 and faster according to the NHRA rules.

It used to be 11.99, but was changed to 11.49 in 2005.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:55 PM
Qwik2k2z24 wrote:

Thanks!

That's the plan....then I might just turn the boost down for the track, the cage, harness and jacket adds up to some significant cash that I'm not sure if I really want to put into the car.

Well we will see how low in the 11's I get, if I can crack off a 11.1 or so, then the boost goes up and I shoot for 10's LOL

Anyways, enough hi-jacking this thread....show up full wheel pics damit!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:12 PM
UGH i want that front bumper! lol damn you clyde!

and thats too bad the GMPP stud's turned out like that. looks like ill be having mine coated or something...

loving the updates. hood looks great! only thing i dont like is the radio delete piece.

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search