Update - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Update
Tuesday, March 12, 2013 5:59 PM
Well I wanted to work on my engine compartment this winter. I was inspired by some hot rods that have custom sheet metal engine covers. Unfortunately it was almost impossible to make mine symmetrical because of the lay out of the 2.4. I am not sure what colors I will be painting it, and not sure at this time if it will be for shows only. I have done research and it should be just fine leaving it in. This has been a lot of work! Holy hell. But I'm digging it, it deft. Goes with the shaved look of the car.
First thing I did was wrap the engine compartment with alluminum foil to work as a mold, then wrapped the whole engine bay with fleece very tightly

Next was to add about 5 coats of fiberglass with chop Matt and cut out the openings

Next was grinding it all down smooth and coating it with milk shake (resin and filler mixed)

And where I stand at the moment 2nd coat of filler

Also notice the wiper cowl has been made smooth, haven't had a chance to add filler. Enjoy!

Re: Update
Tuesday, March 12, 2013 7:01 PM
on the fence with this but always down to see your fiberglass debauchery
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:01 AM
hum...it is interesting for sure mike.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:13 AM

Would look sick with a Supercharger, looking forward to more updates

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:08 AM
I think its a nice try but I would focus my money on performance upgrades. I always hate new cars that cover the whole engine bay.
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:25 AM
well thats different... ill hold judgment til final pics.

one thing though... with it being an LD9, i hope you dont have to remove it often for maintenance. thats gonna be a bitch anytime you wanna work on the engine lol youd do well to make a hole for the dipstick so you can check the oil daily.

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:32 AM
How much does your car weigh???

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:48 AM
Looks baller. What will this mean for engine bay heat?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:54 AM
as far as engine heat like i stated before, I have done research and most cars that have done this it fine to keep in for daily driven. I will have to experiement and drive around and watch the tempature. It does not bolt in, its such a perfect fit it pops right out. So to remove it takes litteraly 5 seconds. As far as the dip stick.... its an idea I will have to check it out. But for me to have access to remove it so easy it may not be worth doing. Maybe one day I will have money to get a supercharger lol and yes that would be sweet

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:29 PM
I'd like to see it painted before I make judgement.

Building it one piece at a time
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:14 PM
Got some more sanding done tonight. Probably one coat of icing and should be ready for primer

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:23 PM
Definitely digg it. Goes with what the rest of your car has going...keep up the creativity.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:59 PM
Thanks dude just going for a extremely clean shaved look..... And different!

Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:02 AM
Wow, looks like its going to be pretty cool.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 9:36 AM
Very different man! I like!

Friday, March 15, 2013 6:18 PM
Twenty4z wrote:How much does your car weigh???

who cares....its badass

nice i like it....i was going to do that awhile ago and then obviously went another route. are you going to do that white aswell?
Friday, March 15, 2013 6:18 PM
Can't decide either white or satin black

Friday, March 15, 2013 8:58 PM
Seeing it in the mud form and that being light/white. I actually think I'm gonna have to say go for satin black. I think it's gonna b too "off" if u go white.
Only problem is ur motor n whatnot is gonna blend in. So in that case either paint some of the top end and intake pipe white or add some chrome in there
Ur car looks better the way it is with the hood closed anyways but props on this! Some shows that aren't laxed mandate you to pop your hood so now you'll have some good looks to show off under there
Saturday, March 16, 2013 5:41 AM
Corey, I have to agree with you. Thinking of painting intake and valve cover white along with all the caps.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search