The Purple People Eater...Hide Your Vettes. - Page 4 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: The Purple People Eater...Hide Your Vettes.
Thursday, May 30, 2013 9:21 AM
I thinking leaning it out will help a bunch.

Every cavalier I have ever seen likes to knock a little between 4,000-5,000 RPM. Mine knocks like one degree at 4,200-4,400.

Is your knock sensor on full sensitivity?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Thursday, May 30, 2013 9:24 AM
newt..

11.3:1 should put you at a 7 heat range alone...

14psi to 17 psi past that should net you a 8 heat range plug atleast... This is mostlikely why you are seeing a bit of knock at this point. ( As far as your last post )

Thursday, May 30, 2013 9:34 AM
Mike, I would assume...it's at the factory settings...I never touched anything in there.

Jason, I have 7's on order...I'm going to try them out...you can get anything colder than that from NGK that will fit my head and is a copper plug. So I'll give them a shot first.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 9:42 AM
I can't wait to see your gay ass Sunday.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 10:13 AM
I'll dress extra cute just for you Jeff.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 12:21 PM
newt,

Sure you can, they are racing plugs...the R5671 series plugs are nickel alloy plugs.. such there are nosuch things as copper plugs

Thursday, May 30, 2013 1:45 PM
Are those for a L61 or a LSJ? Cause I'm running the LSJ head now, and they use a crush gasket seal and not a tappered seat.

Either way, I'll see how these 7's go...I think they will be fine.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 6:42 PM
Gasket seat 3/4 reach lsj plugs

Friday, May 31, 2013 11:49 AM
@!#$ I hate tuning........grrrrrrr.

My AFR was bang on at 10.3:1 previous, so I was hoping I could just pull 10.5% of the fuel and I would end up with 11.5:1 AFR (which is the difference between the two ratios).

Well now I have 11.7:1 AFR till around 5000rpm then it goes back rich to 10.8:1 AFR.

I took an additional 2 degrees of timing out.

Boost is set to 12.5psi, I'm seeing a bit of knock but not much, seems to knock worse if I give it WOT from around 3500rpm than if I bring it up to over 4000rpm then give it WOT.

The weird part is that is doesn't just knock between 3500-4000rpm, it continues to knock above 4000rpm.

So I'm making progress....but not much....LOL

Anyone wanna E-tune this son of a bitch??? I pay you lots of money

Also, I got the new version of HPTuners that they just released, and why in the hell did they make configuring the scanner gauges so god damn hard now????

Is anyone else having this issue?? You used to be able to move the gauges around and scale them graphically, now its by % on the screen....@!#$ thats annoying.

Also, I lost my old config file in the update for my scanner display, and I can't seem to get my TPS sensor to read properly anymore. I used to set it to TPS (SAE) and now even if I set it to that I get 11% TPS at idle and 70% TPS at WOT.

Friday, May 31, 2013 11:58 AM
newt wrote:I'll dress extra cute just for you Jeff.

I wanna cum!

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Friday, May 31, 2013 12:35 PM
newt wrote:
Also, I got the new version of HPTuners that they just released, and why in the hell did they make configuring the scanner gauges so god damn hard now????

Is anyone else having this issue?? You used to be able to move the gauges around and scale them graphically, now its by % on the screen....@!#$ thats annoying.

Thats one reason I dont want to download the new version... Im happy with the beta version I have. Same one that Ryan uses since its his config...

Im sure you will get it. Our ECU's dont play nice EVER.

Friday, May 31, 2013 12:39 PM
Ya this new one is a disaster in terms of the VCM Scanner...@!#$ this @!#$...I'm going back to the Beta if I can.

Its just so many little things that aren't working right....I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Friday, May 31, 2013 12:57 PM
newt wrote:Ya this new one is a disaster in terms of the VCM Scanner...@!#$ this @!#$...I'm going back to the Beta if I can.

Its just so many little things that aren't working right....I'm sure I'll figure it out.

I should still have a good config file as well if you need it for the scanner.

Friday, May 31, 2013 1:01 PM
I have the one Ryan was using to tune the port fueler on Phils car, but it looks like it isn't compatible with the new version. The scale is larger than the gauges window, and even if I expand the window I still cant see all the gauges, it just enlarges the ones I can see.

Friday, May 31, 2013 1:30 PM
This is exactly why I do not upgrade my HPT unless 100% necessary.

Your AFRs are def getting better... get that fuel up to redline set up and then start focusing on the ignition maps.

Question - are these the AFR values with the meth turned off?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, May 31, 2013 7:11 PM
I love the new version of HPT. I did not have any issues with my config when I upgraded. I love not being on a beta because I can datalog again without my laptop.

FU Tuning

Saturday, June 01, 2013 11:48 AM
I'm thinking you're tuning issues were similar to mine. I was seeing crazy false knock when my car was tuned, and my tuner played it safe and retarded my timing quite a bit just to be safe. I should be over 450 WHP with the boost I'm running bit alas I'm right around 380 or so. Hoping Ryan gets back to me sometime and able to schedule me for a poroper epic tune. I wanna see 11's this year!!! And good luck with the car newt. Always a fan!!!!

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Sunday, June 02, 2013 12:07 PM
Well I didn't make it racing, there is a rather loud "Clack clack clack" sound coming from the bottom of the engine/trans.

Doesn't sound like rod or crank knock, I think I either turned my Bully clutch in more than one piece or my flywheel bolts are backing out.

Considering my flywheel bolts are ARP and they are red locktighted in there, I'm leaning towards a broken clutch.

I'll pull the trans this week....see whats going on.

John - I'll take a screen shot of my problem with the config file....maybe I have something set wrong somewhere? I dunno.

Sunday, June 02, 2013 4:05 PM
Does anyone have the PN for the ACT disk that us Ecotec guys can use? I believe its the disk for a 2.4 Twin Cam car with a Getreg?

Sunday, June 02, 2013 5:28 PM
hey man, curious on the higher compression. this is the what.. LE5 bottom end which is the 2.4 and like 11.4:1 compression, right?

pump gas is a go then?

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Sunday, June 02, 2013 5:31 PM
Brad - Yes, it is the LE5 bottom end and a LSJ head, estimated around 11.3:1 Compression, the cams do bleed a lot of that off tho.

Currently running 91 pump and meth, having some tuning issues tho I can't seem to get more than 11psi out of it before the knock sensor goes nuts. Could be due to this clutch/flywheel problem as mentioned above.

Its a work in progress...LOL

Sunday, June 02, 2013 7:29 PM
Is it this one?

95-99 J-Body with an Isuzu trans?

http://www.advancedclutch.com/6224222

Sunday, June 02, 2013 7:36 PM
NVM, that is the right one, I searched but couldn't find anything, search the PN and it came up.

Monday, June 03, 2013 1:37 PM
newt wrote:Boost is set to 12.5psi, I'm seeing a bit of knock but not much, seems to knock worse if I give it WOT from around 3500rpm than if I bring it up to over 4000rpm then give it WOT.

The weird part is that is doesn't just knock between 3500-4000rpm, it continues to knock above 4000rpm.

So I'm making progress....but not much....LOL

I was having a similar issue (mind you I'm running the 00-02 LD9 pcm), but were also seeing more knock going to WOT from say 3-3500rpm than if I ran up over 4k then punched it. I was also running a little richer, seemed like no matter what Ryan commanded, it want to drop pig rich (like 10.5) in that lower range, which is where we think it was knocking from. I forget what exactly Ryan did to resolve it, but we finally got it to listen to what we were commanding for an AFR.

Keep picking at it, our PCMs are definitely defiant, but they eventually give into our wishes, lol!

Monday, June 03, 2013 5:36 PM
newt wrote:Is it this one?

95-99 J-Body with an Isuzu trans?

http://www.advancedclutch.com/6224222

Yup, that's the hybrid clutch setup I discovered. Multiple passes and almost 7K miles of "spirited" driving, and still holding up just fine!

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search