blu's 04 Supercharged Cavalier build - Page 18 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: blu's 04 Supercharged Cavalier build
Monday, December 09, 2013 7:18 PM
Well..she's about to go into storage since I got everything packed up from the garage (hoists, stands, tools, etc). Like I said it wont happen here any time soon unless my parents find another job over seas within a few months.
So at this point she'll sit....It hurts a little inside every time Im in the garage..i pet her...I talk to her...she hears me..she knows I feel her pain!

So in the mean time I upgraded my other ride (temporary daily driver/weekend hauler) from this......

to this.....

Picked her up today after work. 4x4, Nismo, fully loaded. The red is amazing in person with those wheels..and Ive NEVER had or liked red on cars before..
Now to sell the White truck and make some of my money back lol

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:24 PM
You never liked red on cars? Going to go cry now.......

GMR has got nothing on this
Wednesday, December 11, 2013 1:14 PM
Nismo is sweet man. Too bad the cav has to wait but at least you're not giving up on it! Race to see who gets a tvs first?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:00 PM
Raf, no to be honest. There are a few that can pull it off including your Z...did you notice the bronze on red theme? I like that look. But I suppose Red is growing on me though for sure! Ive already had 2 guards on base stop me, 2 mechanics, a shop owner, and a guy at a gas station and Auto Zone stop me to ask about my truck.... I wish I had this much attention from girls when Im single!... LOL

Yeah the cav is on the back burner but she's not goin anywhere...Im determined to get her running good with that LSJ in there and just enjoying her again..plus this truck is NOT a great daily driver with its 4.0L V6...good power but not so good on the fuel consumption...

Saturday, December 14, 2013 6:22 AM
Truck is nice. Very nice upgrade.

I just got my block back from the shop. Shes laying in my cold garage for now. Time for "another" engine stand.

Friday, May 16, 2014 11:47 PM
Well...I've been silent for a while. Lots of stuff has happened. Nearly went to Iraq after budget cuts cut my server admin job, but ended up staying here in SA at Randolph AFB last minute. Got a great girl friend Ive been seeing since early December. Love the new ride (despite its piss poor gas mileage...), but after months of waiting to tinker with her while searching for a house, I finally found somewhere to call a home of my own!

Im all moved in for the most part, but there are one or two last 'moves' I will be making later today (Saturday)....

Somethings missing.....

Somethings the last object to be moved out of the storage unit and finally 'come home'....

And I have A LOT to do. I have to tear the motor down and find out what went wrong, firstly.
I also have the rear disc conversion to do, meth set up to install, battery to relocate, steering wheel to swap out, amongst other things.

And I even have some 'set in stone' plans Im dead set on as a goal by next Spring. She's going to be a whole new car

Saturday, May 17, 2014 12:04 AM
oh and I picked up this little beauty from a fellow Jbody member a week or two ago...I love the brushed aluminum look! (Ill be doing some final touches on it myself aesthetic-wise)

Saturday, May 17, 2014 8:54 AM
Its things like this that make me wish I lived in an area with more enthusiasts, so that I could just help out bring beauties like this back from the grave.

Super excited to see any progress whatsoever on this bad boy.
Saturday, May 17, 2014 9:20 AM
Good to see you again man! I was wondering what happened with the job, I remember there was a lot up in the air at one time. Now the only question is will the new girlfriend be jealous of your mistress, lol.

Sunday, May 18, 2014 8:25 AM
I'm glad to hear you haven't gave up man. Lucky guy you have a garage to work in, my cavy is sleeping outside. Should have called me up I would have helped you move.

Monday, May 19, 2014 4:42 AM
Sweet, glad you found a place to lay your head and fix the cavy up! HAHA

Friday, May 30, 2014 8:19 AM
well guys, thanks all for the kind words! I def see plenty of builds going on lately that keep me interested, though I'd prob still maintain my cav beyond seeing others doing it because to be honest, I really do enjoy my cav project!

Heres where I'm at.
I got the garage mostly situated, I can actually work on my car and I have what I need to start. I took the battery to VatoZone and got it charged. Its bad but it still holds a charge so its perfectly fine for testing, since I wont prob have the car on the road any time real soon (so a new one is a waste of money).

Started her up. I have the video below.
Now to recap those with short term memories or new to my build....when she was acting up in Oct, I was cruising down the highway at 70mph.
I shifted from 5th into 4th to pass someone cruising in the passing lane, at a very casual acceleration (maybe 70-75 or so). As I changed lanes and sped up, I started to hear/feel what seemed like an exhaust leak.
I was having header issues, but that was resolved. So I thought it was just that.
But I started noticing a power loss. And within a few minutes, as I slowed to exit the highway, it was BAD. It was knocking and pinging super loud, like hammers in a tin can just going mad.
After pulling over and letting it sit for a minute, every time I started it up it just sounded horrid! I tried limping it home, but within a few miles it was so bad, at a light the car stalled. I could barely get it running again.
Towed it home, then it sat from Oct until this month.

I have done nothing but checked under the valve cover, and do a compression test, last Oct. The engine initially was 180 across the board after the LSJ swap last year this time. In Oct, it was the same except one cylinder if I recall, was around 125. So not terrible but very low. I have yet to do another one, but I also need to check oil pressure. I have zero leaks, nor do I smell oil or coolant. But, I have yet to let it run long enough to warm up.

sorry for the low video quality...I uploaded from my iPhone to YouTube using the mobile connection at SD vs HD.

Friday, May 30, 2014 4:08 PM
Sounds like an LD9, lol. But really it sounds like a bad rod bearing to me. I'm jealous how easy it starts up. Mine is NOT like that.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, May 31, 2014 1:24 PM
haha, and that was AFTER many months of not running at all! But my Racetronix does hesitate unless I prime it once or twice sometimes (if its cold started).

So I did a compression check yesterday while waiting for my girlfriend to show up to go to a car meet. I was at 188, 198, 140, 198. Cylinder 3 is again the lower number (I think I did one back in Oct sometime after I garaged her). Last year it was 188, 188, 138, 188. I had it written down and in my tool box apparently.

I noticed oil is being picked up, because I checked the level after running it for a minute and its obviously getting into the engine.
So Ill end up pulling the valve cover, and then seeing what else I can tell from there. I may drain the oil and inspect that to make sure nothings in the pan.
But to get into the head Ill have to mess with the cam gears/timing chain and I was really hoping not to have to do that...but its inevitable. I just haven't had to set the timing with it in the car. But, I might as well yank her and see if I can figure this out.

Saturday, May 31, 2014 1:51 PM
Pull the plug on cylinder 3 and gave a look in there. Sounds like a piece of the piston may no longer be with you.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, May 31, 2014 2:08 PM
I looked around in there last night, it looked normal. but I did notice the plugs smell VERY rich.
Im thinking my only option is to tear the head off and do some dissecting unfortunately.

Saturday, May 31, 2014 2:10 PM
Agreed. Although it really does sound like a bad rod bearing.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, May 31, 2014 8:03 PM
Time for a new motor
Thursday, June 05, 2014 1:18 AM
Funny you mention that Philly....

updates to come

Thursday, July 03, 2014 10:49 PM
I have not given up on the Jbody..just lots of stuff going on (few pics further down to explain that )

Okay....so early last month I went and picked up this from Houston for a hell of a deal...
I figured worse case scenario, the motor that's in there now is shot and a complete swap is all I need to do.

And there it sat for a few weeks. I was busy every weekend with my gf, and when I did work on the cav it was a little bit here and there, just dc'ing stuff and doing the simple tear downs cause my time was limited.
So last weekend I got it fully ready to pull except the motor mounts.
Well tonight I decided to just pull the head first. When I did the compression test again at the beginning of June I think it was right before tearing down the motor... cylinder three was again low (like in Oct after it blew).
[188, 198, 140, 198]

Well here is what my head looked like tonight after removing it.....cylinder 3 has the valves sort of slightly propped open..while all the others don't. Is this normal? I was unable to see any valves bent visibly...dunno how I check without tear the head apart?

is the valve issue Im seeing (where I can see clear/clean shiny parts) normal? With the valves slightly open? Are my findings trivial and everything looks okay and its likely the bottom end?

Thursday, July 03, 2014 11:07 PM
And this little devil below is why my time will be split between the two....though do not fear...the cav is here to stay as a 300ish fwhp (if I need a TVS to do it so be it) daily driver. I WANT the cav running and my fast little run around vechile.

I picked this up for a good deal..its worth more than I paid and Ive also spent some pretty pennies on a full turbo kit complete which is on its way...giggity!
I also picked up a later year rear end and driveshaft for added strength which ill swap in soon. Then Ill prob swap motors when this one goes (if it goes...they've proven to last if you're not abusing it)
She just had brand new coil overs installed, header/full exhaust, wheels/tires, head bar/style bar (im getting a full 4 point cage), and she's in great shape for a 91!

British Racing Green, Special Edition #3660 (of 4000 made).

her goodies:

(some pics like these are from the sellers set up..they're already removed and packaged though...yay!)

And she is coming with a fully tuned stand alone MegaSquirt PNP system. Everything I need to plug and play the kit too, except a splice or two just like with our cars. His set up was on a bone stock 1.6L 1990 and he made 241rwhp (has dyno sheets from a dyno that reads lower than others). So that kinda power in a car that weighs 2070lbs is going to be fun....then if the motor goes (compression tests showed her at 165/165/149/167 yesterday) then Ill swap in a 1.8L which will make considerable more power on even less boost. So it'll not be a big deal if she does go

Friday, July 04, 2014 6:52 AM
The valves being still out with no cams tells me they are bent. Or something is in side holding them open, but I'm saying bent.

So you could replace the valves and a valve job and e good. I would check the top of that piston really good to see if they hit the piston.

FU Tuning

Saturday, July 05, 2014 7:36 PM
Meth, thanks for the input.
The pistons appear to be totally unharmed/untouched. Im kind of hoping its just the valves...as it lines up with cylinder three being lower compression too. But if it were something on the bottom end (rod bearings or something) I don't think theres any way for me to tell without removing the block too

Im hoping that's all it is...then I can just run the head from the other LSJ in my garage, it just wont have the upgraded valve springs. I mean while its out I could always take the head in and have someone do a valve job and port it while they've got it.. prepare it for a TVS down the road.

Saturday, July 05, 2014 9:20 PM
I agree with Higgins. Something in the #3 valvetrain gave up on life and i would lean towards the valves themselves based on all i can see in the pics. I would still have all of the valvetrain components looked at just to be safe.

Friday, August 01, 2014 3:36 AM
Hey I know that tow strap!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search