blu's 04 Supercharged Cavalier build - Page 2 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: blu's 04 Supercharged Cavalier build
Wednesday, May 08, 2013 1:32 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:love the look. beauty for sure. only thing i dont like is the front plate.

the front plate law here in Texas is monly months away from being banished from the state legislature
that was a temporary fitment since i got a ticket for it (which is an unpunishable offense due to a mistake in the legislature in 2011). to avoid further law enforcement hassel, i just left it on.

and Yellow..yeah Im really hoping its simple.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 1:52 PM
blu04DD wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:love the look. beauty for sure. only thing i dont like is the front plate.

the front plate law here in Texas is monly months away from being banished from the state legislature
that was a temporary fitment since i got a ticket for it (which is an unpunishable offense due to a mistake in the legislature in 2011). to avoid further law enforcement hassel, i just left it on.

Gotta love that.... just sux that I already put my Evo plate mount on my car anyways. Ah well..

I'd love to see this thing in person. Cupcake meet 17 will be in Corpus Christi on August 10th FYI

Friday, May 10, 2013 9:06 AM
you will see it, I am planning on having this back up and better than ever after this little stint.

I was also thinking today before I rip into the motor after work....when it was idling rough and struggling to stay running...it was super rich and there was white build up on the header where it collects right at the dp.
Im guessing i bent an exhaust valve somehow and its just dumping raw fuel into the exhaust. this would explain the build up on the header and the wideband reading super rich at idle.

yay..nay..?

Friday, May 10, 2013 9:20 AM
blu04DD wrote:

yea yea, everybody cries tickets. hahaha just take it off for pics.

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Saturday, May 11, 2013 1:19 PM
so ill post more pics later..but everything is drained and removed except the damn timing chain.
ive removed the bolt tensioner on the back of the motor, and the chain guide. but the chain still is very tight. how do I remove the chain? not finding a lot on youtube so my quest on these forums continues...

but the intake valves look straight..so my guess that its an exhaust valve is most likely the culprit...(hence the super rich idle and white build up on the header, raw fuel dumping into the exhaust).

we shall see. ill post pics later.

Saturday, May 11, 2013 1:55 PM
Take the cam sprockets off...
Saturday, May 11, 2013 3:06 PM
Yep, gotta pull the cam sprocket off. That will snap the tension off of it.

Saturday, May 11, 2013 5:25 PM
alright ill give that a try..thx guys!
once its removed..i should be able to finally pull my head and see whats up...*fingers crossed...

*now to see how to do that...cause I was loosening it and it felt like I was about to break the chain, it even jumped a little.
I cant find my chiltons....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, May 11, 2013 5:40 PM

Monday, May 13, 2013 10:34 PM
oh yeah and I didn't mean chiltons..f chiltons. I meant Haynes lol.

but anyways, I figured out how to remove the cam gear bolt..just used a 10" crescent wrench a few inches back from the cam gear on that flat spot as leverage, and the breaker bar pulled it off pretty easy.
Removed both cam gears and removed all the head bolts. wow but guess what...theres one underneath the timing chain guide (12mm torx bolt)..that cant be removed unless you remove the motor mount and the head plug to get to the 10mm bolt holding that guide in..
why the fawk would GM put that thing RIGHT OVER THE HEAD BOLT?! >:/

so yeah... now the head cant come off until I get the mount off and remove that plug and get the chain guide out of the way. this is turning into a big lesson on ecotecs...I gotta say though..they're pretty simple

Monday, May 13, 2013 11:53 PM

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 5:19 PM
Alright, more drama. You know with the motor out this would all be really really easy. But ive never taken one out before and Im not in the situation to unless I go buy a hoist and stand.

So I got the motor mount off, but the bracket the motor mount bolts to is blocking my access to the Access plug that gives me access to the timing chain guide upper bolt. I need to remove THAT just to get the final torx bolt out that's holding the head onto the block.

This means to remove the head bolt, the timing bolt has to come out. To remove the timing bolt, the bracket for the motor mount has to come off, this means the motor has to come out. Am I missing something? Ive tossed the idea around to just break the plastic timing chain guide out of frustration..but that wont help me later lol. None of that seems to be worn at all and in good shape..so unless im replacing the entire timing set its not smart to break anything lol.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 5:30 PM
Unbolt that motor mount bracket.......access...access plug

Id suggest with the mileage you have on your motor and such to replace the timing set. I bought the whole kit and it was $300. Even if it looks good at your mileage its on borrowed time. Not to mention all the bolts are TTY so your going to need to replace them anyways.
Wednesday, May 15, 2013 5:35 PM
Philly D wrote:Unbolt that motor mount bracket.......access...access plug

Id suggest with the mileage you have on your motor and such to replace the timing set. I bought the whole kit and it was $300. Even if it looks good at your mileage its on borrowed time. Not to mention all the bolts are TTY so your going to need to replace them anyways.

what do you mean? I know I have to unbolt it..but 'it wont unbolt' while its in the engine bay LOL. the bolts only come loose so far and they hit the side of the fender well. and I cant lift the motor up THAT far to remove the bolts..it'd have to come up like a foot.

as far as the timing set, ive been fearing that....does the hardware usually come with it or would I need that separate? I know I can get all the quality replacement parts on Rockauto.com. I love that site. Ive shown friends and co-workers how much they've been ripped off by auto shops doings simple things like valve covers and distributors lol...

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:20 PM
If you undo all the bolts you should be able to slide the mount over enough to get your allen head socket in there...

I hope so since ill be doing this this weekend...lol.

Deal with Crate engine depot. They are good to deal with and know ecotecs inside and out.

This is what I just bought. It includes everything to do it.
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/LSJ-L61-Timing-Chain-Deluxe-Set-CEDLSJDTC--P24041C665.aspx
Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:23 PM
okay nice..so it might let me squeeze the socket in there...hopefully so because I don't care to remove the motor right now lol. but that being on still makes the timing set a real b*tch to install doesn't it?

oh and I found the http://www.rockauto.com/ is easily $100 less for a Timing Set. obviously just choose make, year, model, engine, etc. but I know CED is pretty credible too

This is just going to be a very expensive rebuild..i can already tell. at this point the only thing not upgraded/rebuilt will be the bottom end...which would almost be silly not to :/

thx for the tidbit..i gave up for the night so ill try that first thing tomorrow after work!

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:11 PM
Yah..its a Cloyes set..which is a decent replacement. But the CED kit is OEM.

Keep in mind its missing alot of bolts that the CED kit includes. Bolts that should be changed.

Thats why I was saying...if the motor is shot just get a good replacement motor and build one up over time if your so inclined.
Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:13 PM
and behold....I 'believe' this is why I have no compression in cylinder #4.....
(and at the bottom, my proposed twin charge setup )

Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:17 PM
Blown ringland! Good show. Honestly can say that Ive never seen a piston ring stick into valves though. At least you had spectacular destruction.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:55 PM
Brian wrote:Blown ringland! Good show. Honestly can say that Ive never seen a piston ring stick into valves though. At least you had spectacular destruction.

yes, im quite amused

seriously though, the first thought going through my head was...

Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:57 PM
oh..and now I guess I know what that was rattling around in my resonator...parts of the piston that broke off lol...

Thursday, May 16, 2013 10:15 PM
Hahaha. So whats the plan now? Might as well build the hell out of it since youre going to need a head and block.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 10:56 PM
pretty much. just sucks cause anytime i start up a good savings...unforeseen events cause those funds to go back to zero..the timing was horrible as im trying to put money away for a house.

Friday, May 17, 2013 3:10 AM
The EXACT same thing happened to my Cav on #3. The valves managed to grab the ring and all. My plug gap changed for the 2nd time and there were score marks on the ground strap. upon closer examination, you could hear a piece of the ring ticking against the turbo.

http://s18.postimg.org/q97fofn15/946085_643428665674545_2103634366_n.jpg

You're not alone, bro!
Friday, May 17, 2013 3:11 AM
The EXACT same thing happened to my Cav on #3. The valves managed to grab the ring and all. My plug gap changed for the 2nd time and there were score marks on the ground strap. upon closer examination, you could hear a piece of the ring ticking against the turbo.

You're not alone, bro!
Friday, May 17, 2013 5:14 AM
Like I said man..

Put a good running motor in it... They can be had for like $250 fully dressed at pick and pull yards and slap it in. Get a good tune before beating on it and enjoy it for the summer.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search