Sweetness: Doing it right one last time... - Page 3 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Sweetness: Doing it right one last time...
Monday, May 20, 2013 4:26 AM
Are you in standard or advanced viewing? Also, we should start a new topic so we do not kills Chris's!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Monday, May 20, 2013 7:25 PM
PJ - trust me... I'm committed now. This is my own final push so trust me when I say I empathize with you - if I can be that inspiration that sees the Squirrel done then... giddyup!

Another update today... I picked up the parts to do my wastegate work... it was all Vibrant stuff. Very nice quality and overall I'm happy with the products - my welding though, could use a lot of work.

The goal was to build an extension for the manifold to relocate the wastegate to a better spot, and then to fabricate the dump tube so that it would eject the exhaust rearward of the CV just ahead of the steering rack under the subframe.

I had a hard time getting my settings right to do this job and unfortunately I got a bit impatient and said "f it" and started welding before I had them all dialed in. The "B" heat setting on my Lincoln MigPak 140 would burn through the tubing but the "A" setting would barely hold a weld spark... getting it set up so the wire speed and heat were proper was really tough and unfortunately I only got it all figured out for the final few welds.

The end result is a product that will probably work just fine BUT it's got lots of spatter on it and a few chunky meatballs... *sigh*

Regardless I plan to wrap the dump tube anyway - it's currently hitting the AC line but I am going to get another flange and double-flange the extension to wastegate connection thereby moving the wastegate about 5/16" towards the passenger side which *should* clear the AC line.

Anyway I'm unhappy with the welds, but happy with the end result. Not awful for my 2nd welding job ever.

The Vibrant parts:

The end result (try to ignore the disgusting welds...):

Anyway that's it for today - with this work done it means that Darren and I can pick a spot for the new tuck harness to come through the firewall and then pick a weekend to pull the engine and begin the wiring. I plan to clean up these pieces a bit and then high temp paint them black and wrap the dump tube as it's right next to the AC line.

Comments are always welcome, just go easy on the crap welds.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, May 21, 2013 4:54 AM
Super excited to see you jumping back in, even with your nose pinched closed and water wings on. (<--- referring to the hesitation and worry, not smack talking, lol)

Your car was one of my favorites back in 02-03 when I fell into the J-body scene, and it motivated me a lot. Unfortunately my first cavy met a deer and rolled to its death, and my second cavy fell on a dodge Ram's rear end shaped sword last year, and its now a pile of rubble. Ever since then I've been MIA here, too painful.
Then I come back to see the rebirth thread you got going on here, so for now I'm more than happy to live vicariously through your rebuild! Keep it up bud, I'm rooting for ya!

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:00 AM
Open wastegate dump is the cat's meow.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Tuesday, May 21, 2013 5:03 PM
Qwik2k2z24 wrote:Open wastegate dump is the cat's meow.

Ditto.

Friday, May 24, 2013 11:28 PM
First off, the field of dead hookers was supposed to be between you and I.

Jeffie, my car is getting scrapped as soon as demo comes and gets your @!#$ out of it. I'm tired of looking at it in my back yard...

Chris..... get back to work on the front patio, aint nobody got time for cars! Get a prius and be happy with your mileage..... HAHAHAHAHA! Ok, I couldn't say that with a straight face. The progress looks great, keep it up bro. I didn't realize you had actually ordered the AEM unit. I look forward to these updates!

Sunday, May 26, 2013 8:30 AM
Brian wrote:

Ditto.

Also if your worried about the spatter pick up some of this anti spatter spray This is the exact stuff I use all day at work but any anti spatter spray will help out. Keep up the good work.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 12:42 PM
Hey Sweetness... Remember me? You suck... Im jealous. I wish i still had my white Cav.

GOT STUFF FOR SALE, CHECK THE CLASSIFIED

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 4:26 PM
JUCNBST wrote:
Brian wrote:

Ditto.

Also if your worried about the spatter pick up some of this anti spatter spray This is the exact stuff I use all day at work but any anti spatter spray will help out. Keep up the good work.

Spatter can be kept under control with the correct settings on the welder. I never use anti-spatter anymore, as it contaminates the weld. In a high heat application like a turbo system, I'd want as clean a weld as I can get to prevent cracking down the road. That's just a personal opinion though, obviously you're welcome to use any method you're comfortable with.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 2:58 AM
Nice work ,though I must admit I'm more of an l61 fan ,but sure is inspiring !

BLACKMANTIS
Saturday, June 01, 2013 5:42 PM
Well, got the last of my polishing done...

Polished the Turbonetics Wastegate & all the AC Components:

Hopefully that's the last of the polishing, in a few weeks we can move on to pulling the engine and the interior in preparation for the new wiring. Progress is slow but moving along...

Comments and questions always welcomed.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...

Saturday, June 01, 2013 6:34 PM
Love the polished a/c parts....

Cant decide to polish mine or paint it.....
Saturday, June 01, 2013 10:56 PM
Chris, I'm free 2 weekends from now to help out. We will figure something out for then if possible.

Sunday, June 02, 2013 3:07 AM
polishing looks amazing. Cant wait to see the rest of it. I think you need to take the paint off the car and polish the raw panels too nobody has done that before either

Sunday, June 02, 2013 5:41 AM
Great to see the old girl coming back to life!

Sunday, June 02, 2013 9:20 AM
chris, what bushing did you use on your nvg front mount to laythe down? i just did my ttr bushing and it sucked balls. i would have much rather used my mark pain bushings as they are quite a bit more stiff to be honest. i dont know that a prothane would work either as its got those holes in the center... if i had to do it again i would literally just use aluminum.

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Monday, June 03, 2013 4:54 PM
you have too many projects on the go

Sunday, June 23, 2013 8:49 AM
So yesterday, Chris and I got to work on the car. Chris wasn't happy with the wastegate relocation and dump. So we re-did that.
After that was done and installed, we were able to figure out where to run the tucked harness through the firewall.
Then, the real fun started, trying to undue 10 years of wiring and random other mods. The fact that it took over an hour just to remove the re-bar because of everything attached to it gives you some idea of what we were in to.
Here are some pics I snapped along the way.

UGH!!!

All tucked away for now.

Next step, stripping the interior. I am REALLY afraid of tackling that! lol

Sunday, June 23, 2013 8:13 PM
looks like fun!

Monday, June 24, 2013 3:43 AM
Nice brake job.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, June 24, 2013 4:57 AM
Did i miss something as to why the engine is out of it or does Darren just love pulling engines?

Monday, June 24, 2013 6:51 AM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:Did i miss something as to why the engine is out of it or does Darren just love pulling engines?

Guilty as charged, I love doing engine jobs, but in this case, it made sense to do it. We need to reseal the engine and inspect the bottom end. It's also A LOT easier to get rid of the old mess of wires and run all the new wires with the engine out.

Monday, June 24, 2013 9:30 AM
Darren, I'd like to take a moment to thank you, for kicking Chris in the ass....... *echm*..... Thank You.

Monday, June 24, 2013 1:31 PM
Are those Moda rims??? I had those same ones on my cavfire lol
Monday, June 24, 2013 3:16 PM
while youre in the mood to wire tuck and everything chris/darren, come on out to alberta

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search