DEI Titanium Header Wrap Installed and a vid of Smoke - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
DEI Titanium Header Wrap Installed and a vid of Smoke
Sunday, May 26, 2013 1:24 PM
Got around to wrapping my ceramic coated Pacesetter header today...I did it on the car because I didn't feel like taking it off. I know it's not the best job in the world but it's wrapped and will do just fine. Wrapping the pipes was easy but when it got near the collector all the pipes were kinda together but not, so it was a pain to try and get the wrap to look neat down there. Put a short video at the end of it burning off for the first start up, audio sucks but its a D90 so to be expected. I'm not sure how the wrap works if it's instant heat relief or if it takes a couple of cycles to fully work but there seemed to be less heat from the header...could put my hand a lot closer to it. On to media:

Still not sure how to embed videos so here is a direct link to it:
http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/rushbasher14/media/DEIBurnOff_zpsac1dde17.mp4.html

Re: DEI Titanium Header Wrap Installed and a vid of Smoke
Sunday, May 26, 2013 3:52 PM
Just a heads up, but that wrap will help rot that header out in a heartbeat. I put it on a new pacesetter when my old ln2 was around. And it rotted the header out in about 9 months. Since yours is already coated I'd leave it at that and pull the wrap.

Sunday, May 26, 2013 3:53 PM
JUCNBST wrote:Just a heads up, but that wrap will help rot that header out in a heartbeat. I put it on a new pacesetter when my old ln2 was around. And it rotted the header out in about 9 months. Since yours is already coated I'd leave it at that and pull the wrap.

x2

FU Tuning

Sunday, May 26, 2013 4:16 PM
Still don't get how wrap rots out a coated header? If you mean from the inside out then it would already be rotting and the wrap won't affect that.

Sunday, May 26, 2013 4:20 PM
All the heat helps fatigue the metal faster and come winter the chicagoland salt will eat that thing for breakfast as the wrap will hold moisture. I was at college of dupage in my ln2 car in the winter and one of the primaries rotted thought I blew something up. Once I realized it wasn't that big of a deal I got to enjoy working in the snow while I changed out another header minus the wrap but it lasted the rest of the time I owned the car.

Sunday, May 26, 2013 4:29 PM
Gotcha...maybe I'll run 'em just for the summer and take the wrap off come winter.

Sunday, May 26, 2013 4:49 PM
That sux bro... Doing all the work just to do all the work to take it off.

Lol

Straight lines are over-rated In My Opinion =]
Sunday, May 26, 2013 5:02 PM
Yup, live and learn though. Knew the headers would be hotter just didnt know it would be hot enough to destroy said metal

Sunday, May 26, 2013 7:14 PM
JUCNBST wrote:Just a heads up, but that wrap will help rot that header out in a heartbeat. I put it on a new pacesetter when my old ln2 was around. And it rotted the header out in about 9 months. Since yours is already coated I'd leave it at that and pull the wrap.

why leave it? why not have the added benefit of the heat protection of the wrap as well as the coating?

how can moisture get trapped underneath the wrap anyway? you do not soak this wrap to install it like other wraps. it goes on dry.... the extreme heat would most certainly evaporate any moisture that could possibly get underneath the wrap as soon as it heats up. the stuff is not air/water tight. i do not know where this myth comes from but normal UN coated headers rot out pretty easily. coated header's last a hell of a lot longer and in which case rotting out in 9 months would not apply. and unless he's mobbing through lakes and driving through mountain passes all year long i dont see how it would get enough moisture to cause an issue anyway... sure salt etc but again, its coated.

if ur worried about ur header rotting out because of wrap you seriously need to take a step back and think about why you even put the header on to begin with. wouldnt you want max performance? or did you just put it on to say you have a header? what? the way i look at it is this, if you bought a header you want it for the performance aspects. wrapping the header will do nothing but help performance aspects, at least in theory.. its never been proven on any of OUR cars anyway.

looks good luke. i just did my dc sports in the titanium wrap as well. it was definitely a job to say the least to get it how i liked the wrap around each pipe but i took my time and got it just right. and i absolutely love it, it helped my under hood temps a lot according to my hand feeling....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, May 26, 2013 7:19 PM

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Sunday, May 26, 2013 7:25 PM
Thanks, tried my best wrapping it being smashed in that spot haha. I think what he was getting at is the wrap keeps more heat in the pipes, which makes the metal much, much hotter. Being this hot it starts to make the metal weaker and it will just crack. I was looking around and something about when the metal gets real hot it takes in more oxygen and makes it brittle? Or something like that. But I'll run it this summer and decide on winter, its cold then anyways

Sunday, May 26, 2013 9:39 PM
being heated up is a completely different argument versus moisture some how being "Trapped". thats a hell of a lot better argument for me to believe than "moisture".

Sunday, May 26, 2013 10:27 PM
I would never wrap a header I actually cared about

Monday, May 27, 2013 1:16 AM
JUCNBST wrote:All the heat helps fatigue the metal faster and come winter the chicagoland salt will eat that thing for breakfast as the wrap will hold moisture. I was at college of dupage in my ln2 car in the winter and one of the primaries rotted thought I blew something up. Once I realized it wasn't that big of a deal I got to enjoy working in the snow while I changed out another header minus the wrap but it lasted the rest of the time I owned the car.

Brad, Luke and I both live in the same area, in the winter here they put so much salt down at times you'd feel like your at bonneville cruising down the salt flats. I stated my experience was on an LN2 car with a header...so it is located on the front of the motor and wraps under the oil pan. When you have all that salt and slush the wrap will and did get wet. Nothing like salt water soaking in your header wrap. Now I've never ran it on an eco/ld9 car or any other set of headers or single header since. I either opt for coated headers or stainless.

Do they use salt or sand by you in corn country? and do you DD your car year round with the header wrap?

Monday, May 27, 2013 2:00 AM
I'm gonna wrap the header on my LN2, but I've ceramic painted the outside already (VHT flameproof only, so minimal protection) but will wrap the header, then coat it with the silicone sealer to ensure it doesn't soak in moisture. I was originally just going to paint over it again with VHT, but I found a sweet deal on eBay for a can with free shipping (which is a big deal to me in Labrador).

Anyway, I'm hoping for better results, but if not, It'll just give me more reason to start working on a turbo setup instead of buying another manifold.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Corsica and a bunch of trucks too...
Monday, May 27, 2013 4:37 AM
JUCNBST wrote:
JUCNBST wrote:All the heat helps fatigue the metal faster and come winter the chicagoland salt will eat that thing for breakfast as the wrap will hold moisture. I was at college of dupage in my ln2 car in the winter and one of the primaries rotted thought I blew something up. Once I realized it wasn't that big of a deal I got to enjoy working in the snow while I changed out another header minus the wrap but it lasted the rest of the time I owned the car.

Brad, Luke and I both live in the same area, in the winter here they put so much salt down at times you'd feel like your at bonneville cruising down the salt flats. I stated my experience was on an LN2 car with a header...so it is located on the front of the motor and wraps under the oil pan. When you have all that salt and slush the wrap will and did get wet. Nothing like salt water soaking in your header wrap. Now I've never ran it on an eco/ld9 car or any other set of headers or single header since. I either opt for coated headers or stainless.

Do they use salt or sand by you in corn country? and do you DD your car year round with the header wrap?

lol we get both sand AND salt here. my cars look a nice salty white after a snowstorm. and as for dd'ing the wrapped car.. it doesnt get 100% full dd detail but she definitely gets driven thats for sure. but i just wrapped it last month, so...

what kinda wrap did you use? ive heard this new titanium stuff does not heed to the moisture like the regular wraps do...

Monday, May 27, 2013 7:05 AM
I had the same wrap on my downpipe for 5 years, it rusted underneath after I took the wrap off for the manual swap. The downpipe developed rust, so I had it blasted and high temp powdercoated. Left the wrap in the trash can this time around.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, May 27, 2013 7:22 AM
what sort of rust though? surface or did it have holes in it?

Monday, May 27, 2013 2:55 PM
I ran the wrap on my daily for years. When I pulled it off to sell it I removed the wrap and there was no rust at all. We did use the recommended silicone DEI spray after we wrapped it as well. Id have no issues using it again.

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Monday, May 27, 2013 3:56 PM
Surface

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, May 27, 2013 4:04 PM
was it coated david?

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 2:34 PM
First drive today with it on andit seemed to keep temps down. Temp was noticably lower after the car was turned off and turned on again within 5-10 minutes (got gas). But I am STUNNED at how much quieter the exhaust is. Didnt know it would deaden that much sound.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 2:50 PM
This is why you should make everything out of stainless.
Tuesday, May 28, 2013 3:06 PM
What does stainless have to do with wrapping and being quieter?

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 4:16 PM
Luke C wrote:What does stainless have to do with wrapping and being quieter?

You can wrap it. SS doesnt corrode.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 4:31 PM
Neither willmy ceramic coated header

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search