'03 Yellow Belly Turbo Build - Page 4 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: '03 Yellow Belly Turbo Build
Friday, October 18, 2013 3:20 PM
the LS1 throttle body has a hole in it that WILL cause idle surge. Im doing what builtnboosted said and getting it welded when I get a chance. plugging that hole with electric tape (TEMPORARILY for tuning purposes and not actually moving the car) showed its idle was flawless afterwards. otherwise id surge between 1200 - 1500 RPMs. With the hole plugged, 1046-1060 RPMs smooth as butter (its set at 1050).

feels damn good to drive after so long right? prob had a huge grin on your face from ear to ear the whole time. that'll be me very soon!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Saturday, October 19, 2013 12:45 PM
blu04DD wrote:
feels damn good to drive after so long right? prob had a huge grin on your face from ear to ear the whole time. that'll be me very soon!

And hopefully me next year!

Monday, October 21, 2013 7:10 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:
blu04DD wrote:

And hopefully me next year!

I did until I knew something was wrong when I couldn't get above 4 psi at full throttle running at 6000 RPM!
And when I was headed back I did grin ear to ear thinking of all the people I was waking up at 11PM.. It was like a priceless moment! lol

You know. You guys have been doing this longer than I and I appreciate the help. I denied what Y3llow said, and now that I double checked, there was a vacuum leak. One of the nuts on an intake stud had backed off a bit... which was also causing a high pitched scream!

I still have yet to figure out if the TB plate has a hole. I don't ever remember one, but I never really checked.

I am also shining up my LSS rims with my "winter" tires.. They look sexy! I've never had them this clean.

Yesterday, I plugged in my laptop to the computer, ran the scanner and found out something interesting. I was running 11.8-12.4 afr's which I have set at 12.1 or 12.0, meaning things were the way they were supposed to be. BUT.... my computer said my TPS % was 100% the whole time. Pedal up or down, still 100%. I switched the wires around and it was showing 0% - 100% like it is supposed to. I started the car, and it idled lower than before (2000 RPM and dropped to 1650 - 1700 RPM) but the wideband was showing 14.1 at first. I let the motor warm up, but it was climbed to 15.1 and I could hear the exhaust "popping" very little, but when it did, the gauge said 16.5 - 16.8 when it did so. So that is one thing that changed after I fixed the TPS.

The second problem is, which I accelerate slightly I see afr's of 17-21.8 which maxes out my gauge. I IMMEDIATELY shut down the car. Restarted the thing, and same exact problem, and results. What is it now that I am supposed to adjust or change in HPTuners? Could all this be because of a possible hole in the TB plate?

P.S. I bought my intake and TB off of the .org here, so I thought that it was setup correctly. It was one someone's car here, I just can't remember who's it was.

Did you say my car looks slow??
Monday, October 21, 2013 4:07 PM
Hows your tune setup?
Tuesday, October 22, 2013 6:03 AM
Abe Jacobs wrote:You know. You guys have been doing this longer than I and I appreciate the help. I denied what Y3llow said, and now that I double checked, there was a vacuum leak. One of the nuts on an intake stud had backed off a bit... which was also causing a high pitched scream!

Definitely check on that throttle plate too.

Are you doing your own tuning? I thought you had a shop doing this? I'm too lazy to read back, which injectors are you running again?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:51 AM
Philly D wrote:Hows your tune setup?

I guess I don't fully understand the question.. I could answer yes and be correct

Y3llowCav wrote:Are you doing your own tuning? I thought you had a shop doing this? I'm too lazy to read back, which injectors are you running again?

You are correct. I am not doing all the tuning.. I am just getting it tuned enough to get to the muffler shop and then to the tune shop.
And I'm running 60# injectors, Siemens I believe.

I almost want to switch the wires around on the TPS again just so that I have some nice driving numbers. IDK yet, what do you guys think?

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:24 PM
Basically in a nice way I was asking if it was tuned.

To me it just sounds like the tune is off.

Saying you have your injector constant correct you need to work the fuel tables.

I am just starting to learn tuning but id double check my injector constant numbers, and then look into changing the fueling.

From what I read earlier on another thread it can be done in the pulsewidth tables. But im sure you have to do some ve tuning.

I could be way off since im very new to this. Hopefully someone who knows what they are doing responds.
Thursday, October 24, 2013 12:44 PM
I was just messing with you when you asked about the tune. I'm a kidder. I joke sarcastically a bunch.

I bet the tune is off. I ain't no tune god.... yet. lol

My injector constant may be off, kinda doubting it. Just to be positive, what is the stock injector constant?

When you say change the fueling.. Which thread was that?

And I hope to have a couple more opinions if I could please.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:55 AM
So I took it out the other night. I was driving it at around 40 mph to get to my straightaway that is paved so smooth for about a mile or so. I have 0 boost and 0 vacuum at 3000 RPM.. So I have a nice power band!

I took her from a 10 mph roll, gunned it. In the back of my mind I knew I shouldn't have. I was running up to 6500 RPM before I shifted in all my gears. I had shaking, my check engine light came off, I had some bucking, and then I lost fuel at 4200 RPM... So I let off the gas. doing 120 mph I felt like I blew my engine...........

But, it was still running, idling rather, at about 1100 RPM. I didn't blow it

So I took another round, and this time I took it a bit easier, about 50% - 80% throttle. I was doing 130 MPH and let off....

I believe I was predetonating cuz my check engine light was off, then it turned on, then it started flashing at me during my second run. I have half a tank of 87 octane fuel that I didn't use up before I put the turbo on. Was I predetonating?

I didn't know where my EBC set my boost at until Daniel told me that I hit 10 psi during my third run, so that felt great.

So two questions in this post...
Do you guys think I was pinging? (cuz of my 87 octane)
How high should my oil pressure be MAX?

Thursday, October 31, 2013 12:04 PM
More then likely detonating. Should not have 87 in that tank.

More then likely that was a misfire.

Where is your oil pressure sensor located?
Thursday, October 31, 2013 12:34 PM
It is T'ed off of the port. on the back of the block. closest to the timing chain.

I should be a little more specific to my second question.
What should the MAX oil pressure be to my turbo?

Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:09 PM
Sounds like a misfire situation to me. Did you log any data during these runs? I'd log knock retard and see what you get. After getting some good fuel in there, of course.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:27 PM
What about the oil pressure?

And it runs fine at idle, I think I'll just idle it till it's empty to "break in the motor"

Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:37 PM
Journal bearing or ball bearing turbo??? Either way you shouldn't see full engine oil pressure to your turbo. Ball bearings need very little, less than 10 psi oil pressure, journal bearings can handle more depending on the manufacturer. If you're not running a restrictor either way I would put one in.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:57 PM
lol are you serious?? thats it?

I'm in big trouble... I'm about to blow my seals I bet!

Sunday, November 03, 2013 7:44 PM
I haven't stopped by this thread in a while, keep up the work man!

Monday, November 04, 2013 2:09 PM
Actually let us hold that thought of too much oil pressure..

I need to find out more about my turbo before I say I have too much pressure. If its a journal bearing, I don't need/want a restrictor. If it is a ball bearing turbo, then yes I need a restrictor that takes me down to about 45 psi.

Specs that I know of.
Turbo model: TB0322
Turbo OE number: 465978-0008

If you guys know if this is a journal or ball bearing turbo then that would be great to know.

Monday, November 04, 2013 6:10 PM
That is a journal bearing Garrett turbo off of a ford. I completely forgot which thread this was in even though I replied to it already. As far as a restrictor, I would get one if i were you since the Ecotecs run high oil pressure anyways. I'm lucky that my Mitsu custom 20G has a built in restrictor.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 11:14 AM
I tell y'all what. For right now, I will run this turbo w/out a restrictor. If and when this turbo blows, I will be upgrading. This turbo will only get me 350 HP with a decent efficiency.
Also I need a high pressure to push the hot oil out of the turbo.

I understand I said 225 WHP when I started this thread as being my goal WHP, but I pushed the wrong key. I meant to say 325 WHP.

I still gotta beat that mustang!

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 10:34 AM
If its a Garrett t3/t4 60 trim.... its plenty of turbo for 325hp...

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 11:14 AM
325 WHP or 325 HP?

Thursday, November 07, 2013 2:15 PM
I put down 325/285 to the wheels, ran a 12.6 @ 117 on 16psi with a T3/T4 57 trim, .63 a/r. Im using the same turbo still and will be around 400whp I hope... Plenty of turbo. GREAT spooling and powerband.

Thursday, November 07, 2013 2:50 PM
Sweet bro! Thanks for the hope you have now given me

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 11:02 AM
Bad news, bad news, come and get your daily bad news, read all about it in today's Yellow Belly Post......

'02 Cavy... May She Smoke in Peace (for now)
6:00 A.M.
I start my car, taking a friend home.

6:45 A.M.
My car is overheating.

6:50 A.M.
I have lost all heat!!!!
I pull over and put 1.5 gallons of water in from the gas station.

6:58 A.M.
I lose all heat again.
Car is having the hardest time to idle.

7:07 A.M.
I pull off and park the car after I lost all the water.
I need to change orientation of how I'm parked because the car died.
Car WILL NOT start
Possibly hydro-locked.

We'll go back to that place and get it later, and best friend took me home.

Yellow Belly, Possible Belly Flop??
Got Yellow Belly going and driving to get the registration renewed.
Driving to work late, and the oil pressure has dropped from 100 to 40.
Black car in critical condition. Yellow Belly...... barely surviving.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:40 PM
Here's the log of it idling this morning...
Turbo Tune 1.4.1 Idle

And here's a log of my 33 minute drive to work...
Turbo Tune 1.4.2 Drive to Work

There's a few things I learned from this tune...
- This is actually MY tune that I researched.
- Every car is different, so the tunes I was using didn't work.
- I am a fast learner, especially when my hard earned money spent motor is on the line! lol
- And that I have no grip.........

If you look at the log from the drive to work; at about 30 minutes in I was at a stop sign and since everything was running Very Well, I decided to play.
I had no grip in first or second. Thats where my engine decided to show where my tune is flawed.

I will research what I may need to do, but if anybody would like to recommend to me the parameter in this tune to change, that would be great.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search