5 gears. 4 ylinders. $350. 2 cams. 1 driver. Sunfire GT build thread. - Page 2 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 5 gears. 4 ylinders. $350. 2 cams. 1 driver. Sunfire GT build thread.
Friday, June 21, 2013 9:13 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:Just out of curiosity, why is your factory air box still in there with the cone filter/WAI?

I'm planning on installing a cold air intake in the future and the parts car we have been working with had one installed so I snagged the cone filter to save a few bucks. We just threw it on there for ghits and siggles when we were done.

Saturday, June 22, 2013 10:11 AM
UPDATE!

IT RUNS! Turned over like a champ! No ticks, no knocks, nothing! Because the car sat for about 6 mouths before I bought it, we had to do a coolant system flush. Dropped the rad house and filled her up. This is one of those moments in my life I really don't think I'll ever forget.

Now it just needs a few bull@!#$ quarks worked out, horn doesn't work, speakers don't work, power locks don't work, driver side window motor will need to be replaced ASAP. And of course, we're going to spend an entire day cleaning it, inside and out.
Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:37 PM
Update!

Nothing special today. Fixed a broken fan motor and swapped in a new driver side speaker. Factory air box? Get that @!#$ out of here.

Why? Because race car. I love my car. It's not the fastest, or best looking, but its mine. It took $500 total and about 20 man hours, and not to mention I'm about $250 in debt. Sometimes in my life I honestly doubted I'd have anything I could account for, anything I could be proud of. My car isn't much and I really didn't do as much work on it as my partners in crime did, but it runs. Its runs damn good. I have a car I saved from being parted out and scraped, rusting in a junkyard of forgotten dreams. I helped get this car back on the road, and in just a few days it will be titled in my name. Maybe, just this once in my life, I can finally take pride in something I did.

Saturday, June 29, 2013 11:00 PM
Update!

So yeah I straight piped my Sunfire. I'm warning you now, this is some redneck engineering at its finest. The first step was to get rid of the mufflers.

Nice clean Sawzall cut. Now we needed pipes. Our parts car didn't have what we needed, but we did happen to have lots of 2 inch fence piping laying around so...

Fence pipe, exhaust pipe, whats the difference any ways. Mufflers? Get that @!#$ out of here.

All in all, we did a pretty good job for some teenagers with a Sawzall and a wire feed welder. Nothing professional, but its sounds pretty damn good. And while we were at it, replaced the broken cooling fan with a new, slightly used one.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search