Welp, so much for that.... - Page 3 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Welp, so much for that....
Monday, July 22, 2013 5:29 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:
If there was a way to have a compact large capacity co2 extinguisher, id have one of those in a heart beat since it would have killed this fire easily, and wouldn't have left a mess. Thats another disadvantage with an ABC... its messy. But if it saves the car.... who the hell cares.

That would be an ideal situation...I always think that around my work...we have tons of various grade extinguishers around the facility, and some of the are a bear to lug around because of size and where we may need to get them into in order to help get people out...we have alot of class D tanks because of the metals we work with, and I'm sure you know how heavy and bulky those guys can be...which is why all of ours are strapped to carts, but it definitely minimizes the maneuverability.

Monday, July 22, 2013 6:10 PM
lol what sucks is, like vince said.. co2 would have worked. i have a cryo2 co2 setup sitting not installed. could have easily popped that bottle out of the trunk and said NO to the fire.

joe, sadly... liability only. if i had more of an investment in the actual buy of the car itself i probably would have, however... i just didnt see the point on a cavalier i paid $375 bucks for that had a salvaged title. hind sight is always 20/20 though, that 1000-1500 bucks would have been a nice down payment on something else. i did end up getting about $80 back for a refund from the insurance as it still had about 3 months left on it though LOL!

the more expensive items didnt go, the teins are a bit dirty but didnt melt, the car still suspends and rebounds as it should so i believe those are ok. and the supercharger still spins freely and the throttle body is still in tact and the blade never got opened so i dont think any of the water and or foam got into the blower. i actually took a rag to it this afternoon and the polish job remains. will need one hell of a clean up and obviously ill be tearing it apart and rebuilding it but all in all i believe that for it being aluminum it faired pretty damn good actually. all the stuff on the side of the engine made it ok, mike's os crank pulley, aem alt pulley, the expensive m45 idler pulley and pcv baffle made it. BUT... the blower's bypass valve is a total loss. gotta see if i can get a replacement from eaton or what i can do there.... pretty sure the 2 bar map sensor bought it as well...

team green coil conversion, optima red top and cf cover, rk sport res cover, powdercoated idi cover, and over 100 dollars worth of nitro methane/methanol are all toast

just as a reference... this is what the engine bay used to look like for the most part:

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Monday, July 22, 2013 7:31 PM
Wow man . . . glad you're ok!

Monday, July 22, 2013 8:10 PM
Omg man I'm glad your okay!!!! That @!#$ sucks I would have cried like a baby...... we were just talking about how you had your meth dialed in too and @!#$ that @!#$ sucks :'''( sorry for your loss glad your okay tho!!!

I Love My J ♡
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:14 AM
I guess your FIREWALL didn't work?
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:56 AM
That is a truly sad sight, Brad. I cannot believe how completely gone the entire interior is - that's just stunning.

Glad you got out okay, let me know if you need anything.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:25 AM
RIP.

I am sorry for your loss...

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 10:33 AM
I cant believe you took a pic while it was burning... Id be runnig around screaming "NOOOOOOO!!!!!" And try running to get water or something, also i hope you didnt have any important personal stuff in the car....

Straight lines are over-rated In My Opinion =]
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:05 AM
Ninja Bling wrote:I cant believe you took a pic while it was burning... Id be runnig around screaming "NOOOOOOO!!!!!" And try running to get water or something, also i hope you didnt have any important personal stuff in the car....

I would have poured gasoline on mine and screamed "I'M FREE! FREEEEEEE!!!!!"

To both of them.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:03 PM
True this would have been a perfect opertunity to fake your death lmao!

Straight lines are over-rated In My Opinion =]
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:30 PM
Wow man,,,that just kills me to see that but glad you made it out ok, don't worry you'll be back stronger than ever and u got me lookin for a extinguisher right now, what a shame tho, your car was sooo clean lookin

Skr8 Goodz in tha hood

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:03 PM
update! just drained about 3/4 a gallon of the nitro methane/methanol mix out of the washer fluid tank. SO... it didnt burn it up! (keep in mind it was about $80 bucks worth of stuff in the tank that day) nitro aint cheap.

also, my brother used to be a fire fighter and finally found out about it today. he brought up a pretty good effing point. this is what he said "brad, why the @!#$ didnt you grab handfulls of that dirt/gravel all around the car and put the fire out?!" so yes, thats a major fail. and a great point.. why the @!#$ didnt i?

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:32 PM
Can't beat your self up with the what ifs man I beat my self up everyday about my 99 z28 and it's not fun going threw on a daily just gotta keep your head up man and restart the build we only live once can't take the money when we die

I Love My J ♡
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:59 PM
Now you have to update your list of mods for this car and change the future section to say drive it till it catches fire instead of till the wheels fall off
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:10 PM
So sorry Brad...that sucks....glad you are still here though!

Hopefully there will be something out there for you that is not an ecotec....

http://www.autotalk.com/pictures/data/1536/medium/2005_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Xtreme_002_autotalk_com_.jpg
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:31 PM
dam !!!! thats F'n crazy !!!!! sorry to see it happen !! good to see everyone else was is good , and the only loss being the car !

ive watched a car burn to the ground at el mirage dry lake in so cal , they emptied over 20 10/20lb halon fire extinguishers on it , and it just laughed and kept burning , granted it was a fiberglass funny car bodied car , it was kinda funny looking at it afterwards , the ouside of the centerline type wheels still looked new , but the inside was melted and long gone , having a nitrous system in one of my cars , ive wanted to use a full incar system for it

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:12 PM
hind sight is always 20/20. human instinct isn't as keen on 'what if' situations until after we've already experienced.

glad to hear you're okay and to be honest, you've gotten the hard work and sweat out of this build, its almost always a step up when something bad happens and you have to rebuild/recoup.

I see TONS of nice unmolested cavaliers here in TX, so hopefully if you stick with the jbody platform you can start your rebuild. ive had some close cals with my fuel injectors leaking a few times, but nothing has happened. Im definitely looking into a good fire extinguisher for my car as well.

btw, isn't that black underhood mat a fire retardant? I know most people remove those for looks, but I thought they had a sound deafening and a fire retardant purpose?

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 10:45 PM
^ no idea, i had a fiberglass ram air hood on mine. that thing was gone a mere seconds.

anyways, got the motor out tonight, tore the bottom end down til i said i need to sit down before i fall down and gave up for the night LOL. from the looks of it, i cant see a god damn thing wrong. nice n clean, no major chunks of metal in the oil pan, nothing.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:29 AM
My thoughts are the oil soaked header wrap caused the fire.
Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:38 AM
Those tails for sale? too soon?
Monday, July 29, 2013 4:52 PM
HOLY F*CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad you're ok bud.

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Thursday, August 01, 2013 4:18 PM
Unfortunately I know the feeling, my 02 went up like kindling, it's scary stuff.

How fast did the fire dept get there? I only ask cause mine was gone father than that in 4 minutes, I still think it was fuel related...

Sorry man, you had a ton of work in that thing.

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Thursday, August 01, 2013 5:09 PM
they got there relativly fast if you consider the fact its a volunteer department. but, it did help they were literally 2 blocks away in my town with a roughly 700 person population...

i honestly dont know how long it took. maybe 2-3 minutes tops. lol in the end looking back it was kind of funny... i dont really "know know" the guys but we are acquainted and they all knew im the "Car guy" in town. when i told them there was a fresh load of nitro methane in there you should have seen the look on their faces LOL they just shook their heads and said "WTF BRAD!" hahahaha

but also in the end that tank nor the actual gas tank even went so it could have been a HELL of a lot worse.

Friday, August 09, 2013 6:44 AM
Thats unfortunate man, seeing your hard build dedicated project go up, damn..... Very sorry to see/hear of this.

'03 LS Sport 5spd, Amsoil fluids, Vibrant cat-back, 5% 3M color stable tint, Z24 trunk lid

Friday, August 23, 2013 8:12 AM
Now I understand..

I've known you(not actually met you but see your posts, and also posting on my build now) and I've seen pics of your car completed and looking spiffy. But I noticed your sig had changed recently to RIP and I was like "What in the world?". So I see now bro, and man I'm sorry. I'll be getting an FE before I start my car up for the first time.

To turbocharge, or not to uh, uh..... eh, that last part don't matter.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search