Turbo LN2 Video - Page 4 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Turbo LN2 Video
Sunday, February 16, 2014 3:53 PM
I got all my parts ordered, got what I need for the 2 fuel pumps ill be running. I should have the tank back on the car tomorrow and 90% of the fuel system plumbed. I am waiting on parts that were back ordered and ones I forgot to get.

At this point it's real close. Just waiting on deliveries. I expect a good amount to come tomorrow. If I had all the parts, id need 5-6 hours to get it on 4wheels and drivable. No more essential fab needed. Will that stop me from adding a support here or there on the chassis? Not one bit.

Only question mark is if the stock fan will fit on the radiator. I finally got all my welded parts back and the radiator where I want it so I'm gonna test tomorrow. If it won't fit I'll order something that will. After that no more bumps in the road that I can see.

I do have a blown head and an m90 shell you can have for whatever extracurricular activities you wish. It was warm out today, what's your excuse for no update? Lol

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire

Sunday, February 16, 2014 4:23 PM
A combination of lazy and valentines day the gf worked so we did our thing over the weekend .

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:23 AM
40* today get to work!

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:16 AM
Its very nice outside.....but the snow blower is getting fixed first. The primary stage impeller shaft got torn up the last time I used it. I need to pull it apart and weld it back together and install new drive bolts. Then I might pull the cav into the garage and fire up the heater.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:58 AM
Few more days like this and you won't need the snow blower anyhow!

Sump pump though? Oh yea.

Fuel system should be done except for the hose ends I'm waiting for....normal folks order what they'll need for both sides of the hose at the same time. Me? I'm an idiot lol.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 1:35 PM
Tank is back in and -8/-6 lines run. Once I get the 3 remaining fittings, that will be done. Tracking says Ill have them tomorrow, so next week that should be buttoned up if all goes well.

Its so close now I can smell it. Siliconeintakes.com was out of stock of the 2 elbows I ordered and I just found out that. I will be ordering them today from elsewhere.

My head studs should be in tomorrow too.

Monday, March 24, 2014 6:27 PM
So how is progress?

Wednesday, April 02, 2014 9:30 AM
Figure ill just keep this all my updates in the same thread:

UPDATE!

I got all the basics fitted to the motor. I fired it up last night and again this morning. First it was not firing on 1 and 4. Did a little digging and found out that the wiring harness had been hacked up from when I bought the car. The dealer removed the remote start/alarm from the car and decided that they needed to cut and half-ass splice the ICM wires (YES ALL 5!) in 2 places each. Spent some quality time in there with a soldering iron and some heat shrink and all is well now with the wires.

It had a miss on #4 when i started it last time, but I think thats probably fouled plugs from trying to start it so many times with the 1-4 coil not working properly. Ill throw new plugs in tomorrow and see how it goes, im hoping that is all it is. The motor DID see like 8k+ when i mis-shifted. it looked ok to me when I took it apart, but who knows. Maybe I missed something; it ran fine when I drove it home, for the most part aside from the loose flywheel.

Only issues concerning the build so far are:

1) I have a fuel leak at the -8 fitting on the tank side. It was really cold when i put that together so maybe i botched it. Easy fix.

2) I need an oil scavenge pump for the turbo drain. I have one on order that ill use as a temp one till I can afford a nicer one. I *could* run the drain is it is now, but it isnt the proper way to do it and I dont want to take a chance, for idling and heat cycling purposes it will work though.

3) The cooling system mods that i did seem ok, however the t-stat flange decided that it needs to leak now. Some RTV on it and I think itll be good to go, but Im waiting to see if i need to pull the head to inspect underneath first (in the event I cant diagnose the miss).

I should be able to make some further progress tomorrow morning. Hopefully nothing serious is wrong. I really dont wanna pull the motor again.

Thursday, April 03, 2014 11:30 AM
Fixed the problem!

Just was a small issue lol. Some idiot forgot to tighten the exhaust rocker arm on cyl 3.

Runs like a top and actually revs smoother and quicker than it ever did with the new parts on it.

The Idle is a lot richer now with the -8 supply too, its got a lot more fuel to play with

Cant wait to get it buttoned up and get some real numbers out of it.

Thursday, April 03, 2014 12:06 PM
Matt Linke wrote:Fixed the problem!

Just was a small issue lol. Some idiot forgot to tighten the exhaust rocker arm on cyl 3.

Runs like a top and actually revs smoother and quicker than it ever did with the new parts on it.

The Idle is a lot richer now with the -8 supply too, its got a lot more fuel to play with

Cant wait to get it buttoned up and get some real numbers out of it.

Opps

Awesome that it was simple and nothing major causing it. In for more updates!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, April 03, 2014 12:48 PM
Pretty much lol. It was cold as hell when I put the head back on the car, like 0* in the garage, so im sure that didnt help my mental state.

Checked all 8 pushrods just to be sure, all of the arms are returqued and I let it get up to operating temp a while ago. It should be cool now, so Ill be back out to check the tq on the bolts again and that should be the end of that.

Im so relieved that it wasn't something related to the mis shift last season. It sounds fn AWESOME with the new exhaust parts and turbo on it.

Thursday, April 03, 2014 12:53 PM
Sweet. Make some exhaust vids!

Honestly, that's why I avoid doing any work in the winter time. Everything ends up being half assed and not right.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, April 07, 2014 2:30 PM
No exhaust videos yet. The camera doesnt do so well in the garage and the car still isnt on its wheels.

However. Goofing around with a couple buddies about how the car used to sound like a diesel with its short exhaust and the way the LN2 makes mechanical noise like a diesel.

Made this:

I think it came out well. It was supposed to be an immitation diesel stack for the WG dump.

Excuse the filth all over the car lol.

Wednesday, April 09, 2014 1:45 PM
Got it running and got it on all 4's and out of the garage finally.

Im still waiting on my scavenge pump to arrive for the oil drain off the turbo, but the current drain set up works for idle and the test's around the block. I cant boost it or wot yet anyhow cause I need to retune it once Im sure it is ready and there are no more bugs.

I need to also turn the exhaust a bit. i have a 90* turn out resonator that terminates under seat area. Its pointed too high and resonates in the cabin a bit much. Hopefully turning it will alleviate some of that.

All in all, it made a couple trips around the block. I got on it a little bit just to see if it would actually make boost and i hit like 2-3psi before I had to back out of it. It definitely pulled harder than it used to, and with the larger turbo it felt like it spooled up a tad earlier than the old setup (thanks to a tubular header and 3" exhaust im sure).

Cant wait to get it re-tuned for this setup and see what it will do on a dyno!

Wednesday, April 09, 2014 2:37 PM
Looks like ill have to eventually see the car this year. We are almost done with the radiator upgrade on our ln2. I made all the mounts and hard pipes. Just need some hose clamps and a different sized radiator hose.

Wednesday, April 09, 2014 2:45 PM
I used some silicone hose that I got online. I was gonna use regular radiator hose but silicone seemed a better plan. (I just needed 2 elbows for mine but they worked out fantastic for $8 for the pair). I'm debating adding a mounting tab to the hard pipe on it. I like the idea that it's more flexible without though.

I'm kinda surprised that I haven't been having cooling issues. I actually just got a smaller (10" 1000 cfm fan) for my radiator cause the turbo was in the way of the stock one.

Once it's done this time, I should be finished with all the upgrades i have in mind unless something breaks. Lol meaning I'll actually be able to bring it to show you guys. I wanna see the one you're working on in person too. Mine isn't "pretty" per say. But the parts that matter are. Lol.

Wednesday, April 09, 2014 3:36 PM
Ours needs a little love in the body department but its just a toy. As long as it runs well we can beat on it. And that's what we want. Our old radiator was in sad shape. It looked like it was going to break soon.

Wednesday, April 09, 2014 3:59 PM
I let any thoughts I had of making the car look spectacular out the window when the rockers started to rust. Only the fabricated parts look nice, cause I care about those.

The car will fall apart around the motor unless I blow it up. Its got like stage 4 cancer in some areas.

Looking at my radiator in some areas it looks like its seen better days, but the one on my truck looks WAAY worse and it has been that way for like 3 years. At least when this one blows it will be easy to replace cause its so far forward now.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 1:33 PM
Small update:

Been driving the car around a bit. Had one issue with the coolant tank hose that meets the lower pipe. It popped off. Since been fixed.

No issues so far with normal off-boost driving.

Afrs are a bit richer with the oxygen sensor disconnected, it still finds it's way to 14.7 with it connected though. Nice to know the fuel upgrades worked!

It still needs a tune for sure. Even with the larger turbo, it spools harder and a little sooner than it did with the old setup (thank the header for that).

The Hobbs psi switch for the secondary fuel pump works as intended too. Once it kicks in the afr SINKS lol.

In third it hits 24psi on the gate (2 springs in it) so that will be the starting point lol.

I have a really short video I took of it going from -10vac to 24psi and the gate opening I can post. Nothing after that till we retune cause it's not safe. It hits 13afr right before I let off as the turbo spools up, so after the one time doing it I stopped.

It feels like it's going to have quite a bit more power this year. CANT wait to tune it. Now about them tires......

Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:10 PM
We need dyno numbers too...

Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:27 PM
Awesome news. I dig the open dump through the hood too!

"In Oldskool we trust"

Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:05 PM
Dyno numbers in due time, for sure. Hopefully it will make a track trip this year so I can be embarrassed about how terrible of a driver I am lol. I have to take it back to the place that worked on my dads '70 camaro. The guy looked at me twisted when I told him that I had an 8 pushrod cavalier that Im hoping to make over 400 with .

The hood dump actually freaked me out the first time it opened. I had a boost leak which I located and fixed. I did a quick pull in second to test the repair and it IMMEDIATELY hit max boost and opened (like, before I realized what was happening). It had been raining and It was a bit rich. It blasted water smoke and a fireball out the hood exit and I thought I blew it up lol. It took a second to realize that It was normal and remember that the gate dump was there.

Work has been busy lately and I think Ill need at least one full day to tune it cause its got a lot more variables now than it did before.

I also need to redo the exhaust, it has an unbearable drone in the car at 55mph in 5th (~2krpm). It sounds AWESOME otherwise, but its too loud in the car. I decided that Im gonna route it all the way out the back, and make it as quiet as I can. This wont stop the tuning of it if one comes before the other.

Sunday, April 27, 2014 2:24 PM
Unfortunate update:

Was driving it around still seeing if there were any new bugs to work out. Everything seemed fine. Went to give a family member a ride in it; got down the street and it started running HORRIBLE.

limped it back to the house and diagnosed it as follows.

Touch the throttle and it would run horribly rich (10% throttle and it would dip to 10-12-10-12 afr). Let off and it would idle way up around 16 afr and slowly return to 14.7 at idle.

P0122 finally pops up. (TPS Low Voltage)
New TPS, Same issue
check the +5v at the connector and it reads .7-.8v with key on engine off. Ground is good.
Did a continuity test from the +5v at the connector and ground and it closed the circuit. ok, short to ground.
Did a continuity test to find which pin at the PCM the TPS +5v is. Cut it about 3" from pcm and ran the test again at the wire side. No connection with ground there.
Did a voltage test at the pin on the PCM and it was now 1.3v where it should be 4.5-5v.
Did a continuity test from the pcm to ground and it closed the loop.
For reference I checked the 5v side of the MAP sensor connector and it is 4.8v all day.

My assessment is that the PCM has had enough and is all but toast. The rest of the car seems fine, no mechanical issues at all. Just this. I was going to piggyback the +5 signal from the MAP to the TPS just to see what would happen, but I figure that it is a risk doing that. However I might just still do it to see if it works as a temp to get it to run for a minute. I already plan on a new PCM and have one, just need to unlock it with HPT to get the tune that will at least run it, in it (I will call HPT and plea my case to try and avoid credit issues).

Im going to go get it from where it is on tuesday and get it back to my garage so i can assess it more deeply and see whats going on with it.

Small set back, but not horrible. Officially started saving for a new camaro today lol.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 8:49 AM
Fixed the problem. I still have to (re: want to )remove the harness behind the motor and see what it looks like and clean it up before I start driving it again. Got it to fire up and run properly and the PCM sees (and shows on HPT) TPS again.

Once I do that, and we get some nice weather on a weekend Itll be time to TUNE IT!

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 11:58 AM
Good to hear

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search