Y3llowCav's Progress Thread - Page 12 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Mission failed, for now.
Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:09 PM
Boner Patrol!

Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:33 PM
How long is not too long killing me!!!!!!! :-) thats alot of @!#$ to get done so fast good job man! Its always the little @!#$ that gets you. There is always some thing your not prepared for or some unexpected cost and even worse there is always some kinda of unforseen issue that happens! It never fails! Even mine had a cylander 2 misfire due to a broken injector wire inside the cuppler. Im excited to see you get her worked out. Gonna be sweet :-)

I Love My J ♡
Friday, April 11, 2014 3:56 AM
You planning on plumbing a catch can? Probably your best bet if you pressurizing that much.

How much boost were you seeing?

Friday, April 11, 2014 6:15 AM
cody nobbs wrote:How long is not too long killing me!!!!!!! :-) thats alot of @!#$ to get done so fast good job man! Its always the little @!#$ that gets you. There is always some thing your not prepared for or some unexpected cost and even worse there is always some kinda of unforseen issue that happens! It never fails! Even mine had a cylander 2 misfire due to a broken injector wire inside the cuppler. Im excited to see you get her worked out. Gonna be sweet :-)

Haha you're telling me man. I'm dying to get her back on the road! All I need to do to get it back up to Mass is fix the oil leaking issue. I've already talked to Fred at SMG about dyno tuning. Oldskool could definitely get the job done too, but I think the dyno will make dialing everything in a bit easier. Plus, I feel like I'm just bothering the hell out of him at this point lol.

Mark wrote:You planning on plumbing a catch can? Probably your best bet if you pressurizing that much.

How much boost were you seeing?

Well we switched to a 1bar map sensor and I have yet to get a boost gauge, so I'm not really sure. Was seeing 14-15psi before.

I am running a catch can right now. You can just barely see it against the firewall in the picture I have of the engine bay completely back together. The valve cover has 2 an fittings on either side that run braided lines to a catch can. Then there's a third port on the can that I have run to the intake pre-throttle body for a vacuum source.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, April 11, 2014 8:46 AM
Maybe you need a catch can the acts as a skid plate the covers the whole bottom of the engine compartment lol Just kidding.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Friday, April 11, 2014 11:06 AM
Are you running the IM gasket trimmed or untrimmed?

Friday, April 11, 2014 11:09 AM
Untrimmed because I'm using an lsj manifold on what is basically an lsj head so the pcv ports line up like stock.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, April 11, 2014 12:41 PM
Just thinking something stupid here. We already know that there are a few minor differences in the LK9 verus LSJ head. What if the PCV is also a hair different? I know no one has confirmed that it is different but i dont think anyone has confirmed that it isnt different.

Friday, April 11, 2014 1:01 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:Just thinking something stupid here. We already know that there are a few minor differences in the LK9 verus LSJ head. What if the PCV is also a hair different? I know no one has confirmed that it is different but i dont think anyone has confirmed that it isnt different.

Good thought but I'm 99% sure I looked at one point and saw that it lined up properly. Hopefully I'm not dreaming that lol

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, April 11, 2014 1:04 PM
Here's an LK9 intake manifold. Not only does it have the same pattern as an LSJ, but it looks like it utilizes the exact same check valve:

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, April 11, 2014 4:02 PM
No, saab checkvalve is black. Also like I said before I did not see a checlvalve in mine. It was only a screen. Ill check tomorrow and post pictures of mine.

Friday, April 11, 2014 7:00 PM
It's definitely the same I just checked. On mobile so I'll attach the screen shots. The rock auto listing is for the saab and the crate engine depot listing is for the lsj.

Looks like the replacements are just black instead of clear/yellowish.
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-04-11-21-58-29.png (327k)
Screenshot_2014-04-11-21-50-53.png (387k)

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, April 14, 2014 3:50 AM
Good work on getting it all swapped over.
Sorry to hear about your oil puddles, here's hoping its an easy enough fix!

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 4:23 AM
Scorpio1 (James K.) wrote:Good work on getting it all swapped over.
Sorry to hear about your oil puddles, here's hoping its an easy enough fix!

Thanks man. Unfortunately I have an update.

I let the car sit and idle for an extended period of time and it is now leaking out of the bell housing area all the time. Means the transmission definitely has to come back out and the rear main seal needs replaced. At the same time I'll be replacing the pcv check valve in the intake manifold as well as the gaskets on either side of the phenolic spacer. I found out that GM actually updated the LSJ gasket to give it more rigidity around that check valve. Apparently LSJ's has trouble with boost leaking in from around the check valve and into the crankcase. Lastly, I'll be replacing the phenolic spacer with a brand new one. Matt's was modified to work with the l61 pcv system so I'm wondering if that was possibly adding to the leaks into the crank case as well. If all that fails, I'll have to seriously revisit my plans for the car and decide how I want to approach things from there.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:16 AM
A few trusted guys on CSS says the spacer is just garbage and doesnt do much at all. Might be worth just not bothering with it...
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:41 AM
I noticed my gasket that I picked up at GM last week had different seal embossed than the gasket I took off. Wish I had taken a picture. I noticed when tracing the PCV cutout.

Replace the valve, your Rear main (ugghhh), and maybe add some rtv in the check valve area to help ensure no boost leak?

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 11:24 AM
Mark wrote:Replace the valve, your Rear main (ugghhh), and maybe add some rtv in the check valve area to help ensure no boost leak?

Yep that's the plan at this time.

Philly D wrote:A few trusted guys on CSS says the spacer is just garbage and doesnt do much at all. Might be worth just not bothering with it...

It's funny you say that because I was thinking the same thing when I installed it. I used it in the first place because I'd need to find shorter bolts to not use it and I wasn't really aware of that fact until it was too late. In addition, my meth setup may not fit now without it. I didn't tell Ryan about it when we were tuning and he asked me if I did something to improve cooling. When I told him he said that it really shows.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:10 PM
Hmm..

Well ill be damned. I just haven't read much if any positive on CSS about them. Enough that I didnt bother ordering one, because of issues with vac leaks and the like.

But cant argue your sucess. Maybe a new ZZP one with the gaskets is in order.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:10 PM
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:39 PM
good luck man! hope it works out for you

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:28 PM
Funny thing is I said to ryan before he put the engine in the car. "Hey Ryan, you going to replace your rear main seal while its out?"

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:40 PM
Rob Dotterer wrote:Funny thing is I said to ryan before he put the engine in the car. "Hey Ryan, you going to replace your rear main seal while its out?"

My response, "Wtf would I do that?" Lol. Although, I don't think that's the issue anymore. Updates to come..

"In Oldskool we trust"

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:44 PM
Gets multiple emails, get excited =D, reads email updates on ryans thread, da @!#$ lol confused (scratches head) what you thinks going on? I wanna know!!!! :-)

I Love My J ♡
Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:57 AM
Update time!

Car runs and no longer leaks. The major oil leak turned out to be trans oil, although I did fix a few leaks on the motor as well. The brand new throw out bearing didn't seal against the transmission properly and caused it to leak pretty heavily out of the output shaft. Fortunately the rear main was as dry as could be so I have that going for me, which is nice.

The culprit:

Car all together:

Back in it's home:

While I was driving around in Pennsylvania, I happened to come across another supercharged ls sport that I didn't know of (only in PA would something like this happen ). Apparently he doesn't post much on here:

Thing was CLEAN with only about 50k on it. Stock sc kit from GM, no intercooler, reflash, etc.

Anyway, like said the car runs and I made it 400 miles back to MA without any major issues. The car still needs more tuning like nobody's business so I'm planning to take it to Fred at SMG and see what he can do. I'd love to have Oldskool do more tuning with it but being so far away with a relatively complex setup I think it makes more sense to dyno tune it in the area in case there are any problems down the road.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, April 22, 2014 3:30 PM
Yay

I Love My J ♡
Sweet!! Need videos!!
Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:22 PM
Sweet!!

Need videos!!

(took the liberty of changing the subject line for you )

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search