Different kind of RWD swap. - Page 16 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Different kind of RWD swap.
Friday, March 28, 2014 5:23 PM
Ben Wootson wrote:Well, I sold the gold wheels and bought some 2006 Z06 wheels (18x9.5 & 19x12). I also purchased the Z06 6 piston and 4 piston calipers, 13.9" vented rotors, C5/C6 corvette spindles front/rear, and C5/C6 wheel bearings. I figured all of that would top this project off a lil more. The rims came in today and the calipers will be here tomorrow. Need the wheel bearings to hurry up so I can put the puzzle together. Here is a shot of the wheels and a generic shot of what the rotors and calipers look like.

Ben Wootson wrote:finally filled in the factory gas door hole. I still need to finish cutting the wheel well out to clear the rims and then I can make the flares.

Whoa dude seriously! I haven't checked this thread in a while - and now you have Z06 wheels . . awesome! I was just commenting on Mikey G's build that he needed some Z06 wheels. Those are my favorite factory wheels. Period. Going to look awesome on your car.

Friday, March 28, 2014 6:01 PM
Tony Ellis wrote:
Ben Wootson wrote:Well, I sold the gold wheels and bought some 2006 Z06 wheels (18x9.5 & 19x12). I also purchased the Z06 6 piston and 4 piston calipers, 13.9" vented rotors, C5/C6 corvette spindles front/rear, and C5/C6 wheel bearings. I figured all of that would top this project off a lil more. The rims came in today and the calipers will be here tomorrow. Need the wheel bearings to hurry up so I can put the puzzle together. Here is a shot of the wheels and a generic shot of what the rotors and calipers look like.

Ben Wootson wrote:finally filled in the factory gas door hole. I still need to finish cutting the wheel well out to clear the rims and then I can make the flares.

Whoa dude seriously! I haven't checked this thread in a while - and now you have Z06 wheels . . awesome! I was just commenting on Mikey G's build that he needed some Z06 wheels. Those are my favorite factory wheels. Period. Going to look awesome on your car.

I fell in love with these wheels years ago, but never had the money to make them fit nor the experience. Now is slightly different.

Enjoy life while you can, because you only have one shot. So go BIG or go home.

Saturday, March 29, 2014 8:04 AM
Yep - they are simple and clean and look tough . . . can't wait to see them mounted. Also, once you're up and running, you need to have somebody in a different vehicle beside you take video so we can get a rolling shot!

Ben Wootson wrote:
Some welds on the coolant pipes

Nice weld beads . . . love that heat soak look. Neochrome like.

Sunday, March 30, 2014 3:47 AM
Welded up some brackets to make the rear clip removable, I will be using 1/4 turn fasteners to make removal simple.

Here is was the rear clip looks like when removed. I still need to complete the body work on it though. The clip is pretty light for being sheet metal, took it off by myself. I would say about 50 pounds or so, picked it up with one hand.

A few shots of the back end of the car. Going to pull the engine today, hopefully, so I can finish welding up everything and paint the back end of the frame.

Sunday, March 30, 2014 4:09 AM

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, March 30, 2014 7:29 AM
That is a whole new level of neat!

Sunday, March 30, 2014 8:31 AM
This looks amazing with the rear clip off! I love that engineering!

Sunday, March 30, 2014 3:55 PM
Now that makes me want to get a Fiero! lol

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Monday, March 31, 2014 3:16 AM
This is still making it the the Southeast Gathering right?

Looks crazy sweet.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, March 31, 2014 4:04 AM
So badass.. Bravo sir, Bravo! Wish you would closer, would love to shoot this when done..hmmm florida..

Monday, March 31, 2014 12:09 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:This is still making it the the Southeast Gathering right?

Looks crazy sweet.

That is the plan.

FU Tuning

Saturday, April 12, 2014 12:34 PM
Just now found this thread. Absolutely badass.

--------------------------------------------

1990 Pontiac Sunbird // 1995 Beretta Base
Saturday, April 12, 2014 3:35 PM
Just received my ARP flywheel bolts, MSD tach signal module, and some more heim stuff. The engine has been pulled to notch the rear frame for better control arm clearance and to get ready to paint the frame this week. Just need to make the passenger seat bracket, steering bearing bracket, finish the front sway bar end links and front shock bar. I also added another stiffening bar between to the rear shocks behind the engine and made a new down pipe setup. Photos to come shortly.

Saturday, April 12, 2014 6:09 PM
Ben Wootson wrote:Just received my ARP flywheel bolts, MSD tach signal module, and some more heim stuff. The engine has been pulled to notch the rear frame for better control arm clearance and to get ready to paint the frame this week. Just need to make the passenger seat bracket, steering bearing bracket, finish the front sway bar end links and front shock bar. I also added another stiffening bar between to the rear shocks behind the engine and made a new down pipe setup. Photos to come shortly.

photos now!!!!

FU Tuning

Saturday, April 12, 2014 6:59 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:
Ben Wootson wrote:Just received my ARP flywheel bolts, MSD tach signal module, and some more heim stuff. The engine has been pulled to notch the rear frame for better control arm clearance and to get ready to paint the frame this week. Just need to make the passenger seat bracket, steering bearing bracket, finish the front sway bar end links and front shock bar. I also added another stiffening bar between to the rear shocks behind the engine and made a new down pipe setup. Photos to come shortly.

photos now!!!!

So demanding John

Ill take more once it is painted.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 4:24 PM
Clutch is in (stock for now), fidanza flywheel and ARP bolts. Stripping everything down now to paint the frame.

Friday, April 18, 2014 6:00 AM
Frame is now painted and just rebuilt the turbo.

Friday, April 18, 2014 6:11 AM
This thing is insane! Really good work! How much of it is still j-body?

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Friday, April 18, 2014 11:27 AM
Oedwards wrote:This thing is insane! Really good work! How much of it is still j-body?

Headlights, front bumper, door skins, windshield, a-pillars, hood, engine/trans, not much more though

Friday, April 18, 2014 2:54 PM
Send the turbo away for balancing? Progress looks good.

Friday, April 18, 2014 4:05 PM
Ben Wootson wrote:
Oedwards wrote:This thing is insane! Really good work! How much of it is still j-body?

Headlights, front bumper, door skins, windshield, a-pillars, hood, engine/trans, not much more though

don't know if its been asked, but how'd you get your car so low?? i absolutely love the look of it in your signature! and will this be street legal or strictly track? haha

Saturday, April 19, 2014 12:45 AM
Dante Bianchini wrote:
Ben Wootson wrote:

don't know if its been asked, but how'd you get your car so low?? i absolutely love the look of it in your signature! and will this be street legal or strictly track? haha

Cut the floor pan out and welded in a new one 4 inches higher, so no room for side skirts now. It is street legal for FL.

BuiltNBoosted wrote:Send the turbo away for balancing? Progress looks good.

Local turbo shop instructed me to just index the shaft, wheel, and nut.

Friday, April 25, 2014 4:51 PM

Friday, April 25, 2014 5:12 PM
Where's it goin?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, April 25, 2014 5:20 PM
Alabama

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search