Y3llowCav's Progress Thread - Page 13 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Giggity giggity goo!
Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:10 PM
Looking good man, glad everything is coming together for you. Since you still have some tweaks to make, should probably toss a TVS on there just to be safe!

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:29 AM
EVILution (KGMs FrankenCav) wrote:Looking good man, glad everything is coming together for you. Since you still have some tweaks to make, should probably toss a TVS on there just to be safe!

It really needs to happen now that I have this motor. Thanks for your help, and also thanks for taking the liberty of changing the subject name!

On another note, snow performance sucks. No one ever buy anything from them, ever.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:06 AM
Glad to see it made it home!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:12 AM
Its cool you met another blown eco at random. I met rare5spd at random one day at byron dragway. He was like so your silver j is blown? So is my silver j! And he turned out to be local to me. Haha. Glad to hear your leaks are fixed.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:01 AM
New dyno video is demanded!!! :-)

I Love My J ♡
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:40 PM
cody nobbs wrote:New dyno video is demanded!!! :-)

Tony Ellis wrote:Sweet!!

Need videos!!

(took the liberty of changing the subject line for you )

I thank you good sir. Working on videos. I took one but I'm having trouble getting it uploaded with the PID overlay. Unfortunately the program that does this on my pc is really flaky.

Either way I talked to Fred today and once she's tuned up there will be dyno vids!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:05 PM
Glad to hear you got the issues figured out! In for numbers!!

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:31 PM
strat81 wrote:Glad to hear you got the issues figured out! In for numbers!!

Thanks man!

First vid! Can't wait to finish tuning it to see what it can really do..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxr1SpQyXuw&feature=youtu.be

Attachments
yellowcavsig1_zps21c97bb0[1].jpg (55k)

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:12 PM
that whine.... mmmm

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Thursday, April 24, 2014 7:28 AM
what a good weekend it was down there man

Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:18 AM
I really like the parameters in the vid like that....how was that done?

Thursday, April 24, 2014 1:28 PM
tim adams wrote:what a good weekend it was down there man

Glad you had a good time man; I appreciated your help. Now you know I'm not exaggerating when I tell you how much better it is down there.

JUCNBST wrote:I really like the parameters in the vid like that....how was that done?

It's an android only app called Torque. This is a plugin for that program called Track Recorder. The encoding process is really a pita but if you can get it to work the results are pretty cool. The other fun thing is that it saves all the data for those PIDs in a separate spreadsheet so that you can pull it and make logs with graphs, charts, etc. I will also say that it's only so good. As the title says I hit 74-7500rpm there and the video only reflects about 6500rpm. I'm using a really nice bluetooth adapter so I have to assume the program just isn't good enough to take super accurate data.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:23 PM
Short shifting... Not double clutching like you should

Friday, April 25, 2014 4:42 AM
Glad to see its home and not leaking fluids anymore.
Looks like shes running pretty decent in the video, but I'm stoked to see what she puts down once Fred gets a hold of her.

Monday, May 12, 2014 9:28 AM
Well I had my first visit with Fred last week:

We didn't do any PE tuning. In fact, we didn't even put it on the dyno. We spent 2.5-3 hours just trying to get it to start up properly and idle Fred still believes the car is possessed.

Anyway, we made a few other changes (some I'm not so sure I agree with but I'm putting some faith in Fred) and it runs way better in partial throttle/boost situations now. There's still some rough spots but it's at least drivable for now. I'm heading back this Thursday morning to hopefully finish it up and see what we can squeeze out of her.

We also played around with the tps so I now have a "custom" adjustable tps sensor:

Because of that it was rubbing on my carbon hood really bad so I have to find longer pins to move it up or grind a lot of material out of the way on the rad support. So, stock hood for now!

Lastly, I finally installed the tapped fuel rail (thanks Matt!) and threw an ECOtec sticker on the valve cover:

Updates to come, hopefully I'll have some numbers by the end of the week.

EDIT: Dunno wtf is up with photobucket but I can't get that stupid first pic to stand up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Monday, May 12, 2014 9:30 AM

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, May 13, 2014 5:26 AM
I curse your Eco heart! Now run, run like garbage, forever!!!

HAHA

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 11:49 AM
Scorpio1 (James K.) wrote:I curse your Eco heart! Now run, run like garbage, forever!!!

HAHA

LOL

I recorded some of his quotes, it was a good time. "WTF" "This thing is possessed!!!" "I just......I just don't.....UNDERSTAND! WTF!?"

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, May 14, 2014 5:17 AM
HAHA
I though that was regular talk when tuning J-body Eco PCM's. LOL

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 5:25 AM
I've come to understand it as the universal jbody language. I'm just glad I know it as well as the pros.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, May 15, 2014 4:25 AM
No doubt, nothing feels better than being able to respond to an accomplished professional, "No that's pretty normal, these ECU's are assholes".

Anyways, hope it doesn't give you all to much more trouble. Fingers crossed for darn good numbers!

Friday, May 16, 2014 11:57 PM
So you get her on the dyno yet?!

Also, is that an Aeromotive FPR that just bolted in place of the stock FPR?
I have one I want to install but I think mine is more of an external one...but I def want to get a Fuel pressure gauge set up soon

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 8:07 AM
blu04DD wrote:So you get her on the dyno yet?!

Also, is that an Aeromotive FPR that just bolted in place of the stock FPR?
I have one I want to install but I think mine is more of an external one...but I def want to get a Fuel pressure gauge set up soon

It is an Aeromotive adjustable regular, I love it. It's for an LT1 but it's plug and play for the 03-05 eco rail. Since and LT1 has 2 rails, one regulator is mounted backwards so you have to make sure you stay away from that one. The correct pn is: Aeromotive 13107. Since you already have one, they make adapters to run a -6 line right into the stock location on the rail. You'll have to do the research on that one though.

Now that I've had a few days to drink an unholy amount of alcohol, I can the results with everyone:

First pull of the day, 163whp @ 7000rpm, I sh!t you not. We ended up adding timing like a MOFO and got up to about 28* advance until it started to give us a blip of knock retard. I'm guessing that means the trigger wheel is slightly retarded. Anyway, after all that we only made 225whp at about 6500rpm. No videos because the car is a disgrace and doesn't deserve the honor. Obviously it's still not slow but losing 25whp after spending probably about 3 grand is hard to swallow. Granted a good chunk of that money was spent on the Tein SS coilovers and the lsd insert, both of which I LOVE. I also need to keep in mind that going from a 2.2 to a 2.0 is a 10% loss in displacement. 250 to 225 is a 10% difference. That's not factoring in the loss of half a point of compression (10:1 to 9.5:1). And lastly, ditching the aluminum flywheel for a much heavier stocker.

I guess my biggest disappointment is in the cams. They really stop making power at about 6400rpm just like stock L61 cams. Understanding that these are reground LSJ cams, I probably would have been better off just using them as is since they usually make power past 7k. That would likely have recouped the 25hp that I lost. In addition, they burn fuel like CRAZY in the city. Plus, I think they add to my start-up issues. I e-mailed Geoff at Colt Cams to get his opinions. Just waiting to hear back.

One thing I didn't expect that I may be able to credit the cams for is lower end power. I expected to lose a lot of low end power going from the higher compression and longer rods of an L61 to an LSJ. Pleasantly, I have to report that she feels more ballsy at lower rpms than before. Then again, perhaps this is a side effect of the stock flywheel.

So that's all I have to rant about for now. Discuss..

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, May 20, 2014 8:24 AM
ive been waiting for this but as well as you, I didn't expect to see you lose 25hp!! wtf.... that sucks man. hopefully if you tvs in the future you can well more than make that 25hp back! car is still bad ass man don't let it get you down!!!!! I really do hope you keep your head up and I soo look forward to seeing more updates ryan!!!!

I Love My J ♡
Tuesday, May 20, 2014 8:30 AM
Sleepin....zzzzz wrote:ive been waiting for this but as well as you, I didn't expect to see you lose 25hp!! wtf.... that sucks man. hopefully if you tvs in the future you can well more than make that 25hp back! car is still bad ass man don't let it get you down!!!!! I really do hope you keep your head up and I soo look forward to seeing more updates ryan!!!!

Thanks man. I haven't gone to any meets yet because I'm too pi$$ed about it, I need to start. The tvs will happen, it's just a matter of when. Now I really want it just so I can cram 20+psi down her throat and force her to make power ]:->

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, May 20, 2014 10:10 AM
25WHP...loss...I thought would be made back with the Colt Cams. That engine just needs for RPM and more PSI. Remember if you go north of 7,500RPM hardened oil pump gears are recommended.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search