New stuff for my sunfire. - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New stuff for my sunfire.
Monday, April 21, 2014 8:37 PM
I got new wheels and tires today! They are the stock 02 sunfire 16" alloys and the tires are falken ziex ze612 205/60r16 I'm super stoked. They look really nice and they are literally brand new the guy bought them for his sunfire and the next day it was hit while parked on the street at a friends house and I got a really good deal on them.

And since I'm starting this thread I'll also mention that I finally changed my serpentine belt. That was a major pain.

Anyway here's the pics
Attachments
image.jpg (1440k)

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.

Re: New stuff for my sunfire.
Monday, April 21, 2014 8:39 PM
Here's the other I'll upload the rest later
Attachments
image.jpg (1488k)

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:36 AM
Ok got the rest of the pics uploaded so here they are

You can kinda see in the las picture I got this dent popped out I still have to sand and paint though here are the before pictures

Sorry I don't have a closeup of it fixed yet

And finally I'll repost the first two pictures bigger

Hopefully these work this is my first time posting this way so we'll see

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:52 AM
Hmm ok let's try this again

The dents

And the other pics

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:30 PM
Can anyone see the pictures? They were working for me yesterday but today they aren't showing up.

I'll just do this the easy way I guess

Anyway here are my plans for the car

I have to repaint the fender thanks to a run in with a road sign this winter I've pounded the dent out but it needs a little bondo and then a fresh coat of paint. There are also 2 little pieces above the rear doors that the clear coat is peeling off of so I'll get those when I do the fender. I'm going to repaint the plastic trim on the windows and the door mirrors too and I'll give the wiper arms some new paint as well since the paint has started flaking off and there are some rust spots starting on them.

I'm going to clean the caliper and drums up and paint those as well so I don't have to look at the rust I'd like to do a dark grey paint on them nothing fancy just clean and tasteful. I am thinking about painting the exhaust parts as well I saw someone had coated there exhaust with a special paint so I'll have to look that up again.

I'm working on taking off the dealer sticker on the trunk right now since the origin owner left it on and after 12 years it's completely washed out and flaking and just looks like crap but I'm not sure how to do that without wrecking the paint. The stickers in the rear door windows are coming off too I just need some goo gone for the child safety lock sticker and I have to finish taking off the pontiac roadside assistance one that's being a booger and ripping every time I try to peel it off.

I'm upgrading the rear fogs too with some cheap aux lighting since right now they are currently half filled with water and one has green stuff growing in it. If I like them enough once I finish I'll upgrade the fronts too.

And as soon as I have time I'll relocate the ECU to under the windshield wiper cowl

Down the road I'm saving up for coilovers I'm not sure which but my plan is to do 10 inch springs in them so I can get a 1-1.5 inch lift if you have any suggestions here is my thread about that
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&i=163520&t=163520
I'm looking at some swaybars and tie bars plus bushings and stuff too and the control arm swap sounds interesting too. And I'm thinking about getting the wilwood front calipers.

I plan to keep the engine NA but I'm going to get at some point lightened pulleys,(not sure if I'll do lightened under drive or just lightened yet but suggestions/experiences/tips are welcome on that)
An exhaust not sure if I want to do a full exhaust or just headers and a muffler but I'm not worried about that now I would want a quieter exhaust no fart can or anything like that just enough so I can hear the engine a bit better, and a ported and polished head I've been researching it and it seems like it will be a pretty good mod.
Probably the biggest thing I want to do is a manual swap but that would be a long way down the road.

I'll add more if I think of anything I missed but any comments and critiques are welcome and a lot of this is not going to happen anytime soon so this will be pretty slow progress.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments
image.jpg (9k)
image.jpg (17k)
image.jpg (21k)
image.jpg (23k)
image.jpg (9k)

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:31 PM
Oh and here's is the only pic I have of the fender being half fixed sorry for the bad quality but you can kind of see the improvement
Attachments
image.jpg (193k)

Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:10 PM
Oh and I'm going to be putting on a skid plate and trans protector that was what I was forgetting.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 7:38 PM
looks like you got some good plans, questions about handling mods or sunfire specific things feel free to ask me A lot of the stuff you wana do i have done so don't feel bad to ask.

Friday, April 25, 2014 7:44 AM
Awsome thanks! I've been watching your build thread you've got some cool stuff going on with your sunfire. I have some questions about the port and polish but that's a long way off since I want to get suspension done first. Right now I'm just trying to research done so I do things in the most efficient order. What suspension do you have right now? I wanted to know how much height I've lost off the original suspension that's on my car right now but I need a measurement to compare it to.

Friday, April 25, 2014 5:22 PM
Wheels look good! FYI they are OEM 1995-1999 Sunfire GT wheels .

I like the sounds of where you're heading with your Sunfire. I am so jealous that you have an ECO powered Sunfire Sedan! That is seriously my dream J-Body!

Friday, April 25, 2014 6:21 PM
Thanks! As for the wheels I thought that's what they were but the guy I got them from said they were just on his car which was a silver 02 Eco sedan.

I will be honest my sunfire wasn't what I was looking for but I got it for free so it'll do. looking around on here though it's really growing on me. The only thing that I still don't really like is the color. It just seems kinda senior citizen-y to me which is why I don't have much planned for exterior appearance mods cause it's hard to find stuff that works with the color without looking like cheap walmart stick on junk. I love the stock blue color way more than what I have. Most stuff for appearance is going to be very subtle things like the upgraded fogs for example

Oh yeah and I'm still forgetting things to put on the list this time it's motor and trans mounts I'm sure there will be more though.

Saturday, April 26, 2014 5:57 AM
I actually don't mind that color, although my favorite color on J-Bodies is Ultra Silver Metallic (both my Sunfires were this color). What would really drive me nuts is having that color on the exterior and having a tan interior. Does yours have a tan or graphite interior?

Check out my registry and take a look at my former 2002 Sunfire Sedan. I had a lot of subtle exterior mods done to it and I couldn't have been happier with the way it looked. Let me know if you have any questions. I will also work on getting all the pictures of both my Sunfires uploaded to my Flickr page so you can see some more pictures that may give you some ideas.

I look forward to seeing more progress from you !

Saturday, April 26, 2014 6:02 AM
Yes I have the tan interior and it's awful it's like the entire car is just an solid mass of the same color. If I ever get around to a manual swap I would definitely consider using a parts car with the graphite interior and swapping it over.

And thanks for the pics too I like seeing other ideas sometimes I see stuff I never would of thought of.

Saturday, April 26, 2014 9:24 AM
Ugh, tan interiors are terrible .

I will try to work on getting all the pictures uploaded this weekend. As soon as I do, I'll send you a PM with the links !

Saturday, April 26, 2014 10:53 AM
Cool thanks!

Sunday, April 27, 2014 6:18 PM
Small update for today. I bought my paint repair supplies and I did the rear window stopper delete. Also I got measurements on my current ride height so here they are:

From ground to body, 10 inches.
From the the center of the front wheel to the top of the fender, 16 inches.

Does anyone know what the stock measurements are?

Saturday, May 10, 2014 5:37 PM
I got the stickers off my windows and drained and dried my fog light today and I got around to making a photobucket so I'll give the pics another shot

Window without stickers and stoppers

Water free fog light

I also am having a problem with these pieces

The two above are the rear passenger side door the pics below are the drivers side rear door

I thought it was the clear coat at first but it's more like a plastic film because it actually stretches a bit. What I'm wondering is if I should just sand it down and repaint it or if there's something that's supposed to be used for it. If anyone else has had this problem I would really appreciate your advice.

Finally I'll post the original pics up bigger if anyone is interested in looking at better pics

Here is the damage to the fender and where I'm at in the repair. If we actually had a whole day without rain I might have it painted by now but I'm nervous about painting it and it getting rained on before the paint is dry.

That's all for now there will probably be more to come soon.

Saturday, May 10, 2014 6:03 PM
Whoops, I forgot the picture of the dent pounded out

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 10:35 AM
Anyone happen to know if I should just peel the stuff that is on those pieces off? I mean I know it will have to come off but should I just wait until I have some clear coat to reseal the paint?

Thursday, May 22, 2014 6:38 AM
I got the 12 year old dealer sticker off and it was actually surprising easy. I thought for sure because the sticker was already starting to crack and was so old that it was going to be a major pain but I took some goo gone spray gel sprayed it on there left it for about a minute then gently pushed the can opener on my Swiss Army knife under it and they came right off. The goo gone actually had some of the letters I got to last mostly peeled off by the time I got to them. After the sticker was off I wiped the spot the sticker was on with some more goo gone and now you can't even tell it was there no paint discoloration or anything. It took about ten minutes overall since I was being careful of the paint.

Sunday, May 25, 2014 5:14 PM
I've been having some issues with my wiper fluid recently it was leaking when I filled it up all the way but once it got to a certain point in the filler neck ( about 3 inches down) it would stop. Also the stream of fluid was a little weak. So I checked the filler neck for any cracks or holes and that was fine and I had seen that the pump can crack and the o ring would dry out and leak but that was fine too. So I fill it up a little more today to try and find the leak and I'm looking underneath to see where it's coming from at first it was just seemed like it was coming out near the pump so I was confused is cue that is actually in pretty good shape. Then all of a sudden it comes dripping down the side of the engine and off the battery tray as I'm underneath the car, and I'm thinking where is this thing even leaking from to come down the side of the engine? As it turns out the hose is shredded where it's run next to the battery tray in one spot 3/4 of it are completely split. I don't even have a clue how it was still even working like that, so I'll be replacing that now.

Monday, June 30, 2014 4:56 PM
Big update here. I've gotten some stuff done recently with the good weather so here's the picture dump

Repainted trim, mirrors, and wiper arms

I started fixing my fender too I got the bondo done and the first coat of primer which I hope will be the only one I'll need. I'm letting it dry over night since it's too dark to paint anyway now. Hopefully I'll get it painted and cleared tomorrow. The bondo did have me nervous as I'd never used it before but it was actually really easy. It dried fully in about 45 minutes and I sanded it smooth with 80 grit first and then hit it with some 150 grit to finish it. Pretty easy overall though I still hope I'll never need to do it again lol. Here's the pics,

After sanding the bondo:

Primed:

Finally I'm also working on a arduino OBD II telemetry monitor. It will be able to display all the information available from the OBD II port, read and clear trouble codes and pending trouble codes. I'm also trying to add in a SD card shield so I can create graphs of different processes like what speed and rpm the shift points are at, engine load to rpm, and what ever else you can think of.

That's all for now I'm working on a few more things like the problem I've been having with my engine dying at red lights which you can read and post about here in this thread I'm going to be swapping out the air filter, cleaning the throttle body, and hoping that fixes it otherwise I think it might be the ignition switch. Of course I'll be painting the fender so that's coming up too and I might be getting a new radio soon so I can put my ham radio in.

Monday, June 30, 2014 5:36 PM
Cool stuff going on!
I think I've found my car long lost brother lol. My sunfire is the same exact colour, except it has the gray interior instead of tan. I've had the same exact prob with the windshield washer hose splitting near the battery. Did you think about removing the sunfire badges and door trims? I did it on mine and it makes a huge difference on appearances. (See photo underneath) r
Monday, June 30, 2014 6:23 PM
Yeah I'm still deciding on if I want to do it or not I might take them off but I want to wait because I'm thinking about plastidipping my wheels a graphite grey color and then hitting the emblems with the same color just to accent it. If I don't like it then I'll just take them off.

Your car looks nice! I'd much rather have the grey interior than the beige on mine it's pretty much the same color inside and out because of the beige interior. I'm looking into swapping the top part of my dash for a grey or black one and getting a darker headliner just to break it up something like one of these to get more of a two tone look going

Btw if you reroute the hose above the battery it works pretty good to keep it from recurring I used a flexible hose from autozone to make it easier.

Tuesday, July 01, 2014 5:42 PM
those rims look really good on that car~~!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search