Y3llowCav's Progress Thread - Page 14 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Giggity giggity goo!
Tuesday, May 20, 2014 10:18 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:25WHP...loss...I thought would be made back with the Colt Cams. That engine just needs for RPM and more PSI. Remember if you go north of 7,500RPM hardened oil pump gears are recommended.

Yep, my thoughts exactly! I was really thinking cams and higher revs would make up the difference. I guess these cams just aren't what they're supposed to be. My original idea for rpm limiter was 7500 but since it's not making any more power after 6500 right now I just shift then. I'm hoping the tvs will change that.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 10:26 AM
ive said it once.. ill say it a million more times... roots love compression. slide a thinner head gasket in there and deck the head while you're at it. get that bitch back up to 10:1 and your numbers will return.

was this on meth at all?

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Tuesday, May 20, 2014 10:31 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:ive said it once.. ill say it a million more times... roots love compression. slide a thinner head gasket in there and deck the head while you're at it. get that bitch back up to 10:1 and your numbers will return.

was this on meth at all?

Oh, I know this; you're totally right. Yes, eventually I need to grab another head and start working on it. A decked head and thinner gasket are DEFINITELY on the books. But for now, every dime goes towards a tvs. Just want lots of boost for the kick in pants these motors need.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, May 20, 2014 11:02 AM
Along with higher compression there is always the fact that there is no replacement for displacement just busting balls lol what made you switch back to a stock fly wheel if ya dont mind me asking? Im sure you have a good reason just wondering.

Edit: i would have thought the cams would of made up for the loss in compression and displacement and even then some

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, May 20, 2014 11:05 AM

I Love My J ♡
Tuesday, May 20, 2014 11:05 AM
Well there are two reasons. First is because hptuners doesn't give us access to the iac motor tables to compensate for the aluminum flywheel so it stalls out sometimes an generally drives like crap. Second is because the l61 flywheel is a 6 bolt and the lsj/lk9 is an 8 bolt.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, May 20, 2014 11:08 AM
See i knew you had a good reason :-) just figured i would ask.

I Love My J ♡
Tuesday, May 20, 2014 11:46 AM
6 to 8 bolt is a LARGE reason. lol

It seems the LSJs like 22-28 degrees advance for best horsepower. How fast are you spinning the M62? I know somewhere close to 18,000 RPMs is when it gets WAY to damn hot. If I recall correctly 17,500 makes good power with meth.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, May 20, 2014 12:00 PM
yeah large indeed!! lol sucks you don't have access to the IAC tables so you can edit :/

I Love My J ♡
Tuesday, May 20, 2014 12:03 PM
So Eaton states the maximum rpm for the M62 is 14,000 to stay within it's efficiency range. I'm running a 2.9" pulley. So my math puts it at 14,288rpm when the motor is at 6500pm. That's pushing it but I'd imagine it's fine, especially with meth. Anything over that is right out and very well could be a major contributor to the drop off that I see around that rpm. At 7000rpm it should be spinning at 15,388 and at 7500, 16,487. What I will say is that air intake temperatures are definitely under control. Although they can spike to about 130*F after a hard pull, that isn't absurd and they almost immediately drop back down. But like said, 16,500rpm is 2,500 out of the M62's efficiency range; at least as stated by Eaton. I should also mention that I run the meth through the blower to aid in cooling it down.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, May 20, 2014 2:01 PM
pfft. Eaton's ranges can blow me. meth increases that range... you just gotta spray a lot of it (THROUGH IT )

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Saturday, June 07, 2014 3:05 PM
Some fun pics. I finally broke down and painted my m62, came out pretty nice:

Oh yeah, while it was off I tried something else out..

Little tight in there to say the least! I think removing the phenolic spacer would give me clearance that is at least semi-acceptable.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Saturday, June 07, 2014 3:54 PM
Oooooooooooo pretty :-) look at you go man!!! Bout time right lol

I Love My J ♡
Friday, July 18, 2014 11:19 AM
Not much new besides completely out of control IAT temps. Watch the timing advance disappear:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruDbSufVQfc

Purchased some stock lsj cams with 0 miles on them to get to the bottom of my power loss issues. I think the tri flows are simply not what this setup needs. Also purchased a used 2.8 pulley to replace my 2.9. Nothing wrong with the 2.9, the belt was just a little too tight with the phenolic spacer and sometimes makes the typical whining noise.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, July 19, 2014 10:26 AM
AWESOME UPDATE!

Saturday, July 19, 2014 10:31 AM
JUCNBST wrote:AWESOME UPDATE!

I'm sensing some sarcasm..

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 12:53 PM
For anyone still interested, I was finally able to install the LSJ cams after a serious pile of shenanigans from ZZP. NEVER buy from them unless you absolutely have no other choice, seriously..

Kent Moore tool installed to hold the cam gears and chain in place:

Colt Cams removed:

LSJ cams being installed. I found the best way to get them lined up is to mark the key ways on the cam gears and the keyed slots in the cams:

Lubed up and installed:

I had my doubts about the cam gear tool but it worked flawlessly. Car fired right up and idle smooth. Luckily, I purchased something else to help me out with the swap:

With A LOT of reading and research and even more help from Oldskool, I've become relatively proficient and was able to dial these cams in pretty well. I'm not sure I gained too much top end hp but starts ups and low rpm driveability have definitely increased dramatically. The dyno will tell in time. Unfortunately, I also lost the sweet low end growl in the exhaust but it's totally worth it imo.

Next stop, Carlise Corvette show in PA with all the KGM meatcakes!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 1:10 PM
pro is the way to go!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 1:13 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:pro is the way to go!

Definitely! I wasn't compromising on that.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 2:13 PM
Im curious to see dyno results, hopefully you get some power back!

I Love My J ♡
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 4:49 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:
JUCNBST wrote:AWESOME UPDATE!

I'm sensing some sarcasm..
nope a TVS is not something that would provoke sarcasm.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:09 AM
Nice man! Where did you get your valve cover painted? That thing is absolutely immaculate. I would love to get mine painted.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 7:03 PM
Willixel wrote:Nice man! Where did you get your valve cover painted? That thing is absolutely immaculate. I would love to get mine painted.

Thanks man.. It's actually a hand-me-down from Matt (Evilution) who painted it himself. The color is BMW Techno-Violet. Just be careful if you powdercoat. There are plastic air/oil separators under the rivited tray that can melt during the baking process.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, December 05, 2014 7:20 AM
So I'm still going with this car, unfortunately. Of course, it continues to frustrate me constantly. After tuning on it for a while I decided to dyno it again. Best I could come up with was about the same as before:

Onto the "fun" stuff.. It had been blowing coolant out the overflow relentlessly no matter what I did, and always had a hard time on cold starts regardless of cranking fuel changes I would make. Literally the day after that dyno pull I attempted to start the car and it tried to turn over but couldn't. I knew right away what the issue was. Here's cylinder #3:

So, obviously it needs a head gasket, which is particularly frustrating considering this motor is MADE for boost and only has ~45k miles on it. Left it sit for a while but finally tore her apart:

After taking it apart it was clear that the head was warped and caused the gasket to leak despite it not actually blowing out (which makes sense since it's a stock MLS gasket). I took the head to a great local machine shop and had the head milled flat and a 3 angle valve job done. The valves were leaking pretty bad. In 1 day they did all the work and were nice enough to give it a fresh coat of paint:

Still waiting for the new gasket and bolts to arrive from CED, then I'll throw it back together and see what we have. Pro Tip, the Saturn Ion Redline head gasket kit is 50 bucks cheaper than the Cobalt SS kit (same parts) from GM. CED was nice enough to figure that out for me and sell me the cheaper set. Updates to come..

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, December 05, 2014 7:42 AM
I remember having concerns about how well the valves were sealing when we 1st dropped the engine in. Hopefully this fixes the majority of the issues(can't fix the fact it is a J-body) and you put my TVS to shame.

Friday, December 05, 2014 7:54 AM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:I remember having concerns about how well the valves were sealing when we 1st dropped the engine in. Hopefully this fixes the majority of the issues(can't fix the fact it is a J-body)

It being a j-body is definitely issue #1. It had 14-15% leakdown on all 4 cylinders so yeah I wasn't too excited about that. The original owner of this motor must have beaten the bag out of it. I'm really hoping this resolves the start up and 0 vac issues I was having; it should, but who knows with this car.

Tinkles(KGM) wrote:and you put my TVS to shame.

Heh. Dat meth tho.. When I think about it 247 is pretty impressive for piss poor compression and a leaking head gasket.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search