Will's 2005 Cavvy - Page 2 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Will's 2005 Cavvy
Thursday, September 18, 2014 12:55 PM
sscavalier wrote:quit spending money on audio

I honestly can't deal with any of the radio stations around my area. I'm just getting a headunit, the DIN adapter and some speakers and wiring it in. It's not like I'm getting a top of the line sound system. I'm just going for a system that will serve my needs for the next few years so I can focus on getting stuff that will add power to the car

sscavalier wrote:Stock eco cavalier should be able to beat or at least hang close with a 3.1

It does not. I forgot to mention that he has an aftermarket camshaft and upgraded fuel injectors on the engine. It wipes me on the floor. His 0-60 time is ~10 seconds. Believe me, I've tried to keep up with that car many times and just couldn't do it. It's an 1992 Pontiac Sunbird Vert, 3.1L V6. Definitely faster than me.

sscavalier wrote:You shouldn't have to add oil too much unless it's developed a leak, or is consuming it elsewhere.

I end up have to put a few quarts of oil in it about twice a month. I usually don't until it start to develop the knock, and that's when I usually check the oil. Last time I check it, there was absolutely NO oil on the dipstick when I pulled it out. I'm pretty sure that's a problem.

Friday, September 19, 2014 7:13 AM
find someone good with a sharpie!

Friday, September 19, 2014 8:04 AM
^^ why do I like that?
Friday, September 19, 2014 8:21 AM
sscavalier wrote:^^ why do I like that?

nobody understands why they like it
Friday, September 19, 2014 8:25 AM
Not to thread jack but a guy did a sharpie project on a cavy awhile back
sharpie cav
Friday, September 19, 2014 10:16 AM
Z24Sunfire wrote:find someone good with a sharpie!

That looks really good. I assume they clear coat it afterwards so it doesn't fade or wash off?
Friday, September 19, 2014 11:08 AM
Yessir! It's a neat concept and perfect for a white car, even if you only did like one fender it might add some flair to otherwise a plain car. IT would also be a great conversation piece!
Friday, September 19, 2014 11:31 AM
I would love to find someone who could do that.
Anyway, the headunit and stereo stuff is coming tomorrow, and it will be getting installed on Tuesday. Can't wait for that.
Sunday, September 21, 2014 2:45 PM
Went and picked up an LS Sport Bumper today. It's silver, but I'm going to be painting it soon.

Here's the best one I found:

Monday, September 22, 2014 8:38 AM
I could be wrong, but that looks like a bumper for a 2000-2002 z24?
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 5:13 AM
sscavalier wrote:I could be wrong, but that looks like a bumper for a 2000-2002 z24?

It is from the 00-02 ls cavy....my personal favorite, nice find!

Friday, September 26, 2014 11:23 AM
Z24Sunfire wrote:It is from the 00-02 ls cavy....my personal favorite, nice find!

Yeah, I really like these bumpers too. I did at least an hour of searching at a junkyard trying to find this. Can't wait to paint it and throw it on the car.
Monday, September 29, 2014 4:35 AM
Im ordering an engine rebuild kit soon. It comes with a head gasket and new valve seals. Is there anything else you guys recommend I get?
Monday, September 29, 2014 5:30 AM
hows the timing chain and tensioner? I feel like it was mentioned but that would be a good thing to change while its apart
also how much of a rebuild are you doihng? full or just top end?
Monday, September 29, 2014 6:22 AM
Z24Sunfire wrote:hows the timing chain and tensioner? I feel like it was mentioned but that would be a good thing to change while its apart
also how much of a rebuild are you doihng? full or just top end?

I have no idea. I don't think they've caused any problems, but it might be worth replacing anyway. I was planning on only doing the top end, plus replacing the main bearings. The kit and bearings are only going to cost ~$160. Hopefully I'll be able to get them ordered once my next paycheck rolls around. Can't wait to rebuild my engine and get all the power back. Also, I know there's a fix for the timing chain tensioner with these engine. Does anyone have a legit link that I can order that part off of. I have this one:
www.crateenginedepot.com/Ecotec-Timing-Chain-Tensioner-12608580-P10722C665.aspx
But I'm not sure if it's still valid or not. I hear that a lot of these engine's power is lost in the timing chain tensioner. I will buy this if it's a worthwhile investment. I'll also need a link for a new timing chain because I have no idea where to even begin looking for that.
Monday, September 29, 2014 11:40 AM
Im not sure as I've never had an eco nor have I had the desire. If your doing main bearings might as well do the rods and throw a fresh set of rings in there. I believe you said it burns some oil correct?
Monday, September 29, 2014 8:41 PM
Z24Sunfire wrote:Im not sure as I've never had an eco nor have I had the desire. If your doing main bearings might as well do the rods and throw a fresh set of rings in there. I believe you said it burns some oil correct?

Yes, as far as I'm aware it does burn a little bit of oil. Not anything too bad, but it's noticeable over long periods of time.
Monday, September 29, 2014 8:49 PM
If boost is in your future I would toss in a set of forged rods and pistons since you are already going to be rebuilding the engine. That way you done have to worry about it later and you can throw all the boost at it that you want.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 6:02 AM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:If boost is in your future I would toss in a set of forged rods and pistons since you are already going to be rebuilding the engine. That way you done have to worry about it later and you can throw all the boost at it that you want.

Those are really expensive, unless you know where to find some for cheaper than what I've seen. Everything I've looked at has been at least $1,500 or more just for pistons.
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 7:03 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:I have no clue where you are looking but a quick search netted these results.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eagle-Chevy-2-2L-Ecotec-Connecting-Rods-Set-of-4-/190848833260?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6f7a16ec&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wiseco-Pistons-Kit-BORE-Standard-86mm-CR-10-0-GM-Ecotec-2-2L-16V-K582M86-/191247855560?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c8742afc8&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wiseco-Piston-Eagle-Rod-Combo-GM-Ecotec-2-2L-2002-/191311893705?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c8b13d4c9&vxp=mtr

Stay with 10:1 compression pistons.

Thanks, probably was just looking in some sketchy places. Anyway, something interesting happened about an hour ago. So, I was getting in my car to go to my local store, turned the headlights on, and the dash lights wouldn't come on. After about 10 minutes of checking the dash fuses, it fixed itself. I have no idea what went wrong.

Wednesday, October 01, 2014 12:01 PM
Turbo tech raching also has most things needed to rebuild an eco!
Thursday, October 02, 2014 7:22 AM
James Barclay wrote:Turbo tech raching also has most things needed to rebuild an eco!

Cool, I'll check them out.
Does anyone know the best method to clean the valve cover? There has been oil spilled on it multiple times from people filling it, and it just needs a bit of a cleaning. I'm sure the engine bay would look a lot better if the valve cover were a bit cleaner.
Thursday, October 02, 2014 4:57 PM
Update:

I finished setting up my sound system today. I will try to get pictures tomorrow when it's not dark out. It's really nice. I went without a stereo for 2 weeks because I started the radio swap and didn't have time to finish it.
Pictures and information will come tomorrow.
Friday, October 03, 2014 5:35 AM
Pic requested!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search