Y3llowCav's Progress Thread - Page 15 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Giggity giggity goo!
Friday, December 05, 2014 3:13 PM
Curious to see how it runs with all the issues fixed!

Friday, December 05, 2014 4:24 PM
I think he needs to pulley down.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Friday, December 05, 2014 6:22 PM
Rob Dotterer wrote:I think he needs to pulley down.

Nah keep the same pulley size, but increase the blower displacement. .32 liters seems to be a good number to increase it by....

Friday, December 05, 2014 7:38 PM
.90 is better

Sorry to hear that motor has been such a pain in the rear. Hope this fixes all your issues.
Re:Y3llowCav ' Progress Thread
Friday, December 05, 2014 10:58 PM
Rob Dotterer wrote:I think he needs to pulley down.

Because everyone loves a 4 cylinder that makes peak hp at 4500rpm.

Tinkles(KGM) wrote:Nah keep the same pulley size, but increase the blower displacement. .32 liters seems to be a good number to increase it by....

Agreed. I'd like it to just run first though.

Philly D wrote:.90 is better

Sorry to hear that motor has been such a pain in the rear. Hope this fixes all your issues.

God me too. And that supercharger is ridiculous lol.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, December 05, 2014 10:59 PM
strat81 wrote:Curious to see how it runs with all the issues fixed!

Me too man!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, December 05, 2014 10:59 PM

"In Oldskool we trust"
Re: Y3llowCav's Progress Thread
Tuesday, December 09, 2014 4:26 AM
Game on tonight.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, December 15, 2014 12:03 AM
Sorry to see you are having these issues, hopefully the redone head and new gasket fix them.
Good luck man. I really like what you have done with this car.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:09 AM
gtpsunfire wrote:Sorry to see you are having these issues, hopefully the redone head and new gasket fix them.
Good luck man. I really like what you have done with this car.

Thanks!

So progress has been made:

Then the head of an intake manifold bolt snapped off moments after torquing the head down. Luckily, I still had my extra bolts from Mike

Started right up!

Took a really quick log driving it around the block. Was expecting things to be way off but...

Drove great that night and the next morning. Then discovered that I had ruined a hose after getting to work

Apparently jacking the motor up and down pulled it off the bottom of the collection tank and caused the belt to cut through it like a ban saw. So after putting it all back together, I took it back apart:

Found something useable at the parts store and cut it down to make it work:

It's all together now and running great; way smoother than ever before. This was definitely the root of my low throttle driveability issues. When I turn the key it doesn't even make a full revolution before firing up. Anyone who has seen the car before this knows how big of an improvement that really is. I have some belt noise when its cold, so I'll be addressing that shortly. Other than that, it drives like a normal car. Tough to dial in the timing at wot right now since it's so cold and just spinning the tires but I have been making some changes to the fueling that I think are also making it run smoother in closed loop. Next dyno day I'll see what we she can do!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:12 AM

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:36 PM
Good to hear.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 7:35 PM
Nice

FU Tuning

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 7:45 PM
Your car is CHURCH!

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Thursday, December 18, 2014 5:48 AM
Glad to hear man!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, December 18, 2014 7:56 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:Hit the dyno again on Saturday. I have to say I was worried that the peak hp number wouldn't be what I was hoping for. With the 2.9 pulley I gained 2psi but LOST about 2 degrees of timing advance. I figured it would be interesting to see what was worth more; especially on an m62 setup.

Boom shakalaka!

250whp! Torque was 258 ft/lb at around 5400rpm! The blue line is from the 3.1 and crappy 42lb injectors. Red line is from Saturday with the 2.9 and new injectors. Obviously we ran it out a little further but it didn't really make any more power up there due to stock cams. This was my goal with this setup, so I'm really happy with the results

what in the actual @!#$ lol... you made the same power as my car and ive got cams and valve springs.... i think i need to find a new tuner.... btw car looks good. nice build, @!#$ty about all the issues but hopefully it all works out for ya.

13.22 @ 105.2
Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:08 PM
BoostedCavFire (Jean) wrote:
Y3llowCav wrote:Hit the dyno again on Saturday. I have to say I was worried that the peak hp number wouldn't be what I was hoping for. With the 2.9 pulley I gained 2psi but LOST about 2 degrees of timing advance. I figured it would be interesting to see what was worth more; especially on an m62 setup.

Boom shakalaka!

250whp! Torque was 258 ft/lb at around 5400rpm! The blue line is from the 3.1 and crappy 42lb injectors. Red line is from Saturday with the 2.9 and new injectors. Obviously we ran it out a little further but it didn't really make any more power up there due to stock cams. This was my goal with this setup, so I'm really happy with the results

what in the actual @!#$ lol... you made the same power as my car and ive got cams and valve springs.... i think i need to find a new tuner.... btw car looks good. nice build, @!#$ty about all the issues but hopefully it all works out for ya.

Thanks man! Oldskool ftw when it comes to tuning. Even though i do all of my own tuning now i learned mostly from him.

Keep in mind all dynos read different too, although I know this particular dynojet reads slightly lower than most other dynojets (which are known to read a little high in general).

I always preach that cams aren't worth the money on these setups. Some people disagree *cough* Kyle *cough* but I stand by that statement. Despite the loss in compression and displacement the lk9 is making right around the same hp with stock lsj cams and supertech springs. Meth injection really really helps too. With the combination of lk9 rods and meth injection I'm able to run some gnarly timing and get away with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:11 PM

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:32 PM
Ya im running meth also. Mod list is stock eco, minus the cams, comp cams blower grind and the supertech 78# valve springs. 80# injectors, Blower, h/e, meth, intake, exhaust obviously and a tune with hpt... when i did my dyno i was only pushing 11psi (3") without spraying the meth. Sense then ive got my meth working and ive dropped to a 2.8" pulley making 13-14psi. A/f is 11.5 give or take. I think im at like 18* of timing. I could be wrong on that.

13.22 @ 105.2
Friday, December 19, 2014 1:11 AM
Does Oldskool still tune and where does he live
Friday, December 19, 2014 4:33 AM
Travis Bennett wrote:Does Oldskool still tune and where does he live

Yes, he's in central Pennsylvania.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, December 19, 2014 5:34 AM
I am happy to see this build progressing again!

I'm going to suggest shamelessly that you try e85 on this setup cause I do that a lot lol.

Can't wait for next dyno results!

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Friday, December 19, 2014 6:56 AM
Matt Linke wrote:I am happy to see this build progressing again!

I'm going to suggest shamelessly that you try e85 on this setup cause I do that a lot lol.

Can't wait for next dyno results!

Thanks buddy. I'd love to run E85 but it's really not available anywhere around here. Since this is still a DD that I take to Pennsylvania frequently I don't think it would be possible to get away with it. Sucks, because I would be all over it if it were available. That being said, there's a sunoco down the street that sells 100 octane at the pump. I may fill up with that and tune/dyno with it when the time comes. He also sells 112 in pales but it's leaded so that's out as long as I'm running a cat.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, December 19, 2014 7:13 AM
You should try the tri-flows again now that the head is fixed. That could have been the cause of all of your distaste for aftermarket cams.

Friday, December 19, 2014 7:18 AM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:You should try the tri-flows again now that the head is fixed. That could have been the cause of all of your distaste for aftermarket cams.

I had that thought too but swapping to the lsj cams really did help startups and low throttle response before the headwork. Plus they actually lost hp up top compared to the lsj cams on the same crippled motor. That's putting aside the 14mph highway I was getting with them. All that said, I already sold them the Rob a while back.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, December 19, 2014 10:19 AM
You cannot put 100% of the blame on the cams when the engine wasn't 100%.

Friday, December 19, 2014 11:43 AM
That sucks about e85 availability; but at least you have methanol going in there, that helps!

I dont agree with running 100+ unless you intend to run it all the time. Though I have always been an advocate of the cars ability to do everything it is supposed to do all the time (discounting weather conditions that you cant control).

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Friday, December 19, 2014 12:47 PM
nice build i watch couple your youtube vids pretty good do you no how to get a hold of oldskool
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search