Weekend Lighting Project - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Weekend Lighting Project
Monday, December 15, 2014 10:39 AM
I bought a new set of projector headlights, wasn't happy with the CCFL Halos that came pre-installed so I decided to do something about it. Bought a couple sets of the RGB LED Halos that TRS sells and tore everything apart.

I'm pretty happy with the turn out, color range is decent. I bench tested them with a PWM controller and was able to get a much wider and more refined color pallet than what their included control module has. My camera is terrible at night so the pictures I took at night were garbage, might try taking some with my wifes camera when she gets home tonight, hers is much better.

Re: Weekend Lighting Project
Tuesday, December 16, 2014 7:25 AM
Since you were already going to open them up to replace the halos, I would've ordered a set of quality HID projectors from TRS and replaced the garbage that comes in those type headlights.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 11:01 PM
I was actually quite surprised with the projectors that came in the lights. They put out a very even light and they don't have the slit to illuminate signs/blind drivers. Aside from only supporting 35watt H7's (without major modification), I cant complain. Since they seemed decent, I went ahead with installing HID's in them from TRS. I am comfortable driving home every night with them and have been for nearly a year (not counting having to buy a new set after putting an end to a deer recently).

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 7:21 AM
Any output shots? I'm curious, because all of the aftermarket bolt-on projector headlights I've ever dealt with sucked for output.

Also, are they bi-halogen projectors?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, December 17, 2014 7:23 AM

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 8:22 AM
Turned out great!
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 11:09 AM
When did this plasti dip action happen? And would you mind taking more pictures of it? I've considered this route with mine.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, December 18, 2014 12:51 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:Any output shots? I'm curious, because all of the aftermarket bolt-on projector headlights I've ever dealt with sucked for output.

Also, are they bi-halogen projectors?

I'll try to remember to snap some output shots when I get home from work tomorrow night. They came with H7 Halogen bulbs (this is the light), the projector has a shutter for hi/low. I replaced the halogen with 35 watt HID's (these from TRS) with the XB35 5500K bulbs. The output was not good as halogen.

Y3llowCav wrote:When did this plasti dip action happen? And would you mind taking more pictures of it? I've considered this route with mine.

This has been on since August 2013. It started as a try out for flat black full paint then turned into a durability/longevity test as people were asking about it. I think it's coming off in the spring for actual paint. I have some pictures of it around somewhere I think, I'll take a couple more if I can't find them tomorrow, until then I'll leave you with these.

Back

Hood

Bumper

Front Right

Thursday, December 18, 2014 9:50 PM
Ok here are the output shots, took 2 sets. First is pointed at my neighbor and the second at my garage from ~20-25ft.

Low Beam 1

High Beam 1

Low Beam 2

High Beam 2

Yellow, here are 2 more shots of the dip, excuse the dirty.....winter. I was impressed with it's durability, that front right is where I tagged a deer and there was no damage to the dip from the impact directly.

FR

RR

Friday, December 19, 2014 6:51 AM
Those are with the halogen bulbs? They look pretty decent. I'm surprised.

Friday, December 19, 2014 7:00 AM
Sparkey05 wrote:Yellow, here are 2 more shots of the dip, excuse the dirty.....winter. I was impressed with it's durability, that front right is where I tagged a deer and there was no damage to the dip from the impact directly.

FR

RR

Thanks! That's impressive, I really want to do this to my car. Did you use their special sprayer? I used 3-4 cans just on my hood and it still didn't turn out the way I would have liked.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, December 19, 2014 12:25 PM
No those are HID's from TRS, XB35 35watt HID Kit. The halogens it came with were junk.

I used my HVLP gun to spray. 4 coats is enough, I did 6 on my hood and 4 on my front bumper and there was only a marginal difference in durability. 6 coats on the good was a touch under 1gal.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search