Turbo LN2 Video - Page 8 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Turbo LN2 Video
Wednesday, October 15, 2014 12:09 PM
Its been babied before I got it I believe. 3000 miles on this oil change and it looks tan still! I may be very interested in that head assuming its good though. I also wish you lived closer, id try to get a 5 speed swap deal set up lol

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 12:47 PM
I dunno how far id trust the trans that is in it. It was a junk yard pull i did when the car had 73k (trans had also like 70k). it was all fine and dandy till the latter half of this year when I was shifting at 6800-7000. it started to feel really sloppy between gears with the rpm up there. Any daily driving or under 6000 was fine (but the car made its best power over 6000). Twice when i was at the drag strip a few weeks ago I was SURE i missed second cause it didnt feel like it went in; but I hit it somehow. Thats what happened to me last week. I tached 3rd to 6800 and went to grab 4th and ended up in second. the car decelerated just as hard as it accelerated lol

I paid like $200 for that trans though; so if you were actually interested I could sell you everything else I have and you could get a trans from a yard. Shoudnt cost much at all for a trans.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Wednesday, October 15, 2014 3:18 PM
Well this is horrible news..... didnt you have the nwf swap done? If so what would you want for all of it including axles. We have all stock j body components to trade as well.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 4:05 PM
Quote:

Well this is horrible news..... didnt you have the nwf swap done? If so what would you want for all of it including axles. We have all stock j body components to trade as well.

I do!

I have alero knuckles. the calipers should be solid; i would replace the pads/rotors though (theyre uh... worn out ). Its got N-body ball joints on the stock control arms (I can unbolt them if you want them; they dont have many miles on em). The axles are new this year too (I had hybrid ones last year that i just kept on for testing purposes till i rebuilt). Tie rods are also fresh.

I dunno. I forget what kinda money I have in that setup. Call it $150 for anything you need? id throw in the axle socket too but i like to keep tools.

Its totally worth it; Pre NWF i was doing a wheel hub like once a year. Post NWF with boneyard bearings its still working perfectly. I was gonna do new wheel bearings this spring but the ones on it felt and sounded just fine so i didnt bother.

All in all Im not really upset. I started looking at pics of the exhaust that my dad and I built and started mentally back peddling from selling but Its time to move on. The thought of a new challenge has me drooling. The thought of what i could do with 16 or 32 valves is scary lol.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:52 AM
Ive got a nice 98 Camaro looking for a decent v8 swap
I got my 2.4 trans from picknpull for $80 but the only problem is I had to go up twice because the first had blown diff. When you get the new project I may have to come hang out with all the iowa jbo guys. yall seem pretty cool
Thursday, October 16, 2014 10:19 AM
Iowa? lol I live in IL.

If i do an fbody I want to get like a 00-02 ws6. I like how those look. But im not entirely sure what path to take yet. Too many choices and theyre all good ones.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 12:07 PM
Matt Linke wrote:Iowa? lol I live in IL.

If i do an fbody I want to get like a 00-02 ws6. I like how those look. But im not entirely sure what path to take yet. Too many choices and theyre all good ones.

lol I couldn't remember where the location was when I saw the ad...those states all run together past Indiana for me haha
I think those were the best looking fbodys personally. I do know of a 2000 SLP Camaro ss that is super clean for sale. lots of aftermarket goodies
Thursday, October 16, 2014 1:37 PM
For the record I had to go back and watch your vids on youtube. Sold on building an ln2!
Thursday, October 16, 2014 3:18 PM
Quote:

For the record I had to go back and watch your vids on youtube. Sold on building an ln2!

It was pretty stout for what it was and how many factory or factory replacement style parts were on it. I watched my first 12psi video from my log/50mm setup. That setup would feel like stock compared to where it ended up lol. What it was doing in second gear last year it was doing in 4th this season with better tires.

Saturday, October 18, 2014 7:25 AM
Matt Linke wrote:
Quote:

It was pretty stout for what it was and how many factory or factory replacement style parts were on it. I watched my first 12psi video from my log/50mm setup. That setup would feel like stock compared to where it ended up lol. What it was doing in second gear last year it was doing in 4th this season with better tires.

hahah well they are all great. my fave is the dyno pull! I wouldn't mind to have a log style and 50mm
Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:30 AM
So I finished my dads 70 camaro 383 swap yesterday and sent that car on its merry way.

Pulled mine in the garage to get it out of the winter weather.,

I wasn't going to but I dropped the pan and started poking around.

All 9 bearings down there look fine. I thought it spun a main and it definitely didn't. Visually the wrist pins look ok too and the Lower parts of the cyl walks are fine.

I really think it's the timing chain making noise and the alternator bracket rattling around. It's missing a bolt that I KNOW was there before and the head studs don't allow for it to secure to the head so it's likely rattling when it revs up.

Next free time I get I'll pull the timing cover and head and see what's what.

I might just keep this thing alive, the expensive parts aren't hurt. I miss the smell of e85.

Wtf is with j cars and some of our inability to let go? Lol

This won't stop me from getting a new car but knowing it didn't suffer catastrophe is great feeling. Lol the ln2 can take a POUNDING.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 2:50 PM
I have pics that ill try getting up later or tomorrow; The timing set was toasted.

The guide opposite the spring tensioner was chewed up, the spring was worn and had a chain size divet across it about .7mm deep. The chain was stretched too lol.

I compared the components i took out which have maybe 20k on them to a set that has 125k (i couldnt find the guide from the old motor) and the setup i have now was further worn. The chain was significantly sloppy. The gears appear fine though.

No metal in the oil or on the plug magnet either.

Once i pull the head and valves out for inspection and verify that the top end is fine (which im confident that it is) ill get some new timing parts and throw them in and see what happens. I dont think the motor is actually hurt which is kick ass.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 7:37 PM
Good to hear.

FU Tuning

Saturday, December 20, 2014 11:18 AM
PICS!

First; 2 chains.
One on the left was what was in the car; has about 20k on it (at the most) and has seen much abuse.

The right was what was in the car when it was 125k and I took it apart for the build. Its maybe a hair longer than the new one i installed.

Second; The guide. pretty chewed up. (i dont have the one that was in the car before; i cant find it for comparison)

Third. Spring Tensioners. On the right is the one that was in it. Flattened and scored up pretty bad. On the left is the one that was in it with 125k on it

I could literally fit my thumb between the chain and the spring when before there was just about 0 slop in it when it was new.

I think this is my noise, coupled with a vibrating alternator bracket. Still gotta check the valvetrain but I think the motor is fine. 400+ in the snow here we come!

Saturday, December 20, 2014 11:50 AM
Awesome news man.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, December 20, 2014 12:04 PM
Yea; so far so good. This car has worked itself into a special place in my heart so I couldn't just let it go without at least TRYING to repair it.

It may yet break again; that seems to be a trend with this car.

Saturday, December 20, 2014 12:11 PM
Matt Linke wrote:It may yet break again; that seems to be a trend with this car.

@!#$ tell me about it man..

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, December 20, 2014 1:58 PM
lol FN J-body pos's.

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 8:19 AM
So it turns out I'm just in need of a timing set; pulled out everything except the cam and nothing appears hurt at all.

It's a Christmas miracle

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 6:11 AM
Matt Linke wrote:So it turns out I'm just in need of a timing set; pulled out everything except the cam and nothing appears hurt at all.

It's a Christmas miracle

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, December 24, 2014 7:23 AM
Awesome news!

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 11:06 AM
^ LOL

I just couldn't let it die. I have a problem. I need a project and I can't afford a new one just yet. Timing parts are like $50 at the most for this car so, no sense letting all those fancy parts sit and rot.

I don't think I'll shoot for more power. But knowing me; I'll find a way to convince myself it's a good idea.

It's also nice to be able to have childish unrefined "let's see what this does" 0 @!#$ given fun with this. I won't be that way with the next one.

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 11:15 AM
Lol I'm becoming the same way with my car. "huh, looks to be running a little lean; let's see how long that lasts" *wot engage*

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, December 24, 2014 12:05 PM
Basically you have to wot in order to test, so wot it is.

Let the bitch eat; grin and if it's still running after that it's lather rinse repeat

Thursday, January 01, 2015 12:25 PM
This just made my pee pee tingle. In for more vids!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search