Project Helen - Page 2 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Project Helen
Thursday, October 04, 2012 12:14 PM
Some updates on Helen thus far..

Mock up of what the hood will look like, scoop will be on the passenger side and more towards the windshield to accomodate room for that GT35

And I also started on the trunk shave today..got three of nine holes done

Monday, October 08, 2012 1:08 PM
I have one more hole to fill on the trunk, then the key lock hole, and should have the trunk ready for prime by the end of the week.

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 1:56 PM

Got all the holes filled on the trunk. Got some bodywork yet to do on it, cause it warped a tad when I was doing the key hole. Then pull the bottom left corner out a tad and she will be ready for filler!

Sunday, December 16, 2012 11:10 PM
Hey guys, its been awhile since I have updated my build. I have still been working on it and it is getting closer every day!
This is the first time I have ever used fiberglass body filler, and it fills nice, but sanding it sucks! I would suggest a mask of some kind because it gives you terrible sticky boogies.

The joy of warpage...

Was so happy to have my first piece in the booth!

At Your Service.

Turned out rather nice for my first time.

This panel was all eatin up from someone else trying to fix it. It ended up being clear down the quarter.

Which in turn led me to shaving the antenna, which was not originally planned and I debated on it but got talked into it by a buddy. I am glad I did because it really makes it look cleaner.

Got the hood off of my parts car at home..can't wait to cut it up!

Took off the door ding strips and I'm not sure if the glue eats at the paint over time or what, but the paint just chips off when you sand it.
So..more sanding and priming

Suicide doors?
Ya...me either.

Starting to get everything sanded down.

Major things left:
-roof
-hood
-quick release for the front bumper (only cause one side is already done)

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:32 PM
Man I am DYING to see this hood!

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:43 PM
lookin good man, can't wait to see it finished

Skr8 Goodz in tha hood
Monday, January 14, 2013 12:05 PM
Thanks for the interest guys! It should be done in 4-5 weeks. And I am doing somthing a little different with the hood, stay tuned!

Monday, January 14, 2013 7:02 PM
Looks awesome. Im biased to the color.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 8:02 AM
great to see some custom body work for a change on this site. hood looks cool, just shows how similar the lines of a eclipse is to a cavalier near the headlights.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:45 PM
Brian- I know the color is awesome and I wish I could have repainted it that color, but I am going with a color change cause I found a less expensive resolution.

Seamless- Thanks man, at first the hood looked like it almost would bolt right up haha. And I should have some pictures up of the hood tonight to all who are interested, the change up on the idea flows with the car much better and ties some of the old school in me to the new school look.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:22 PM
Well this what I have going on with the hood. I was originally going to just go with the full DSM bump on the passenger side, it would have served its purpose for fixing space issues, but I didn't feel like it flowed with the rest of the body lines on the hood, so I went with something else, I hope you guys like it!

Mock up

This is what I'm going with.

Cutting the top of the scoop with the curvature of the hood with a bit of over hang, looks good.

This is where I got to on the hood today. Panel bonded to the hood with almost 30 screws holding it down while it sets up. Will have to put a small weld bead on the back passenger side corner to reduce the chance of it trying to work itself loose going down the road. Hope everyone is intrigued!

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 9:21 PM
Looking good man and I agree that it's good to see some custom body work again
I am gonna tell you this tho and your gonna hate me but you shouldn't have panel bonded that scoop on there. That panel bond is awesome and is stronger/better than welding half the time but not in situations like this. It is meant for bonding full quarters and door skins on. Things like this you need to weld. Reason being is your going to end up seeing ghost imaging exactly at the lines of where the scoop is cut at. The metal of your hood/scoop is going to expand and contract differently than the panel bond which will show a line around it
I seen it numerous times with people that shaved door handles n tailgate handles. Never seen a hood scoop done like that but it's the same thing
Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:28 AM
Corey Dorman wrote:Looking good man and I agree that it's good to see some custom body work again
I am gonna tell you this tho and your gonna hate me but you shouldn't have panel bonded that scoop on there. That panel bond is awesome and is stronger/better than welding half the time but not in situations like this. It is meant for bonding full quarters and door skins on. Things like this you need to weld. Reason being is your going to end up seeing ghost imaging exactly at the lines of where the scoop is cut at. The metal of your hood/scoop is going to expand and contract differently than the panel bond which will show a line around it
I seen it numerous times with people that shaved door handles n tailgate handles. Never seen a hood scoop done like that but it's the same thing

I took this into consideration as well as warping my hood all to hell. Thank you for the input, don't hate none at all, I made welds in the foreseeable problem areas and am hoping that this will be good enough, if not...well im SOL. But thank you again for the feedback, much appreciated.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:38 PM
Started with the filler on the scoop. First with the fiberglass

Then sand...worst @!#$ ever to sand...hate hate hate it.

I got in the zone and didnt take much pictures, but I had a coat of mud and then this final coat of glaze.

Got some etch on the hood, lots of little rock chips..Here are a few more pics of the hood too. Waiting on my hood pins before I prime the whole hood. Enjoy!

Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:45 PM
looks ok man... why the fiberglass though? seems like overkill to me...

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Friday, January 18, 2013 7:12 AM
Brad- I used the fiberglass filler because it is better than bondo when you need to go thick...its much harder and sturdier. Its not like fiberglass mat and resin, it comes in a gallon can and you put hardner in it just like bondo. The only down fall to this stuff is that it doesnt sand as nice as bondo, That is why stepped down in materials.

Friday, January 18, 2013 8:30 AM
yea i know about fiberglass FILLER lol, i meant using the actual FIBERGLASS sheets in there hahaha

like i said, i think its overkill but to each their own. at least you'll know its not gonna deflect or rip off etc lol

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Friday, January 18, 2013 4:45 PM
Fiberglass matting adds strength. And also serves to keep it waterproof. I do agree that you will see the indentation of the scoop because of the tempatures contracting, ESP. If you added screws or rivets. I do like the look of it though! The best way probably of been to weld it. You might get lucky though and it last a while! Keep up the great work!

Friday, January 18, 2013 6:04 PM
does your first picture of this last set of photos have the matting in it. I can view all the pics except the first one of this last bunch and all these i see have no glass matt that i see
Sunday, January 20, 2013 8:20 AM
I did not use glass matt anywheres lol. And the screws were taken out, hope it lasts for awhile, its not gonna be my daily so we will see

Monday, January 21, 2013 7:54 PM
Got a shot of my daily over the weekend. Still going strong at 228k

Anywho...worked on the hood today. First plasma cut for the flush hood pins.

Both of them in place all mounting holes drilled, also had to relocate the hood pins from the original spots , then got out the BFH and tweaked them up a little, because they needed to be perfect for the type of latch system.

Also got er all primed up today

It may awhile before an update because I am going to start sanding @!#$ and getting everything ready to jamb. So this may be the last one till I get some color on....or I may keep you guys guessing and just snap a pic when its all done Thanks for following my progress guys!

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:11 PM
So.... How fast is the fastest car in said "Fast Car Crew".

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:47 PM
Looks good

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:50 PM
Qwik2k2z24 - I'm not too positive as what the quickest car is, I would say the top ones are a 94 mystic cobra, fox body, and 06 sti. I am not sure how my car stands in there im putting down 215 at the wheels.
Hope you aren't hating

WHITECAVY - thanks man. I have good plans for the car.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:59 AM
I love the hood work

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search