Back in the game(98' Sunfire GT) - Page 3 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Back in the game(98' Sunfire GT)
Sunday, November 13, 2016 7:33 PM
nice update. I ran that exact catch can for a few years. I know run a water separator for a air compressor as my catch can. Cost about $15 at Home Depot. I had to reverse the drain valve in it, but put steel wool inside and bam.

FU Tuning

Thursday, November 17, 2016 4:18 PM
Well Got the muffler welded on Tuesday, sounds great.
Tried out two different muffler and decided on this single chamber muffler.
Kept the factory tip on as well.

The tip fitment isn't perfect, but it wasnt before either so I'm not worried.

Here's a video of the first start up.

Pulling out onto the highway.

While we were at his shop we begun the process of sizing up the evil eye cut outs, next week I'm going back to his shop and we're gonna weld them on.

Found out my gas tank is shot, gotta keep it below half tank till next month when I have the funds to replace it.

Oh also appears I have a oil leak on the timing cover. can't pinpoint where it is though.
So its coming off next week to be checked, I think I may of installed the crank seal wrong because it seems(the oil) to be getting flung around the motor.
As if it was being thrown off the spinning crank pulley.

Got the catch can cut open, somehow I managed to deleted the photos of the "after".
But pretty much I used a empty qt oil bottle to separate the IN/Out side, some RTV to seal it, and steel wool on the OUT side to (in theory) help collect the liquid and keep it in the can.
Gonna give it a few weeks and see how it works.

But thats it for the updates right now.
Besides replacing the fuel tank, finishing the evileyes and taking care of the oil leak, theres not really much more to do with Winter right around the corner.
But we will see what happens.

Building it one piece at a time
Thursday, November 17, 2016 4:20 PM
Lets try the videos again.
https://youtu.be/V9IJ9G3uUG4

https://youtu.be/8wsNueaG304

Monday, November 28, 2016 1:39 PM
Nothing much to report.

However I finished modding the catch can.
And its working great, caught all this after a week.

Monday, February 13, 2017 7:22 PM
Well not a whole lot to report.
Just waiting on the tax refund to come in for some maintenance and upgrade parts.

The 02 sensor went out last week, been running it unplugged and loving *sarcasm* the SUV like gas mileage its been getting.
Have a new one coming this week luckily.

Also picked up a B&M Shift+, got it installed and I really like the improvement to the shifting.
Although it seems held back still, assuming its probably being in loop mode because of the unplugged o2 sensor.

Once the refund gets here first thing is picking up a replacement fuel tank, and most likely a new set of tank straps.
Some new tires, and then (as long as nothing else breaks or goes wrong *fingers crossed*) a few upgrades.

Decided to just buy a set of brand new headlights.
Get some slightly larger rear wheel spacers.
TTR(or similar style) lower urethane dog mount and new OEM transmission mount.
New header W/ some exhaust work to repair leaking OEM flanges.
Wideband and Oil pressure gauges.

And the main investment this year.
Eibach Pro-kit

And KYB AGX struts

Gotta drive 3 hours to pick them up, but for the price and the practically new condition(Were only run for a few months) I can't say no.

So hopefully I'll have some fun updates in the next month or two.

Monday, February 13, 2017 11:13 PM
Ive got the agxs on gc coils and what a difference in handeling. Ull have fun.

ReD RaiN
Wednesday, February 15, 2017 4:56 PM
The no O2 sensor makes it run in open loop which is off the tune. When you go WOT you are running in open loop off the tune. Our cars do not have a limp mode.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 5:20 PM
Nice update!

Car should look great sitting a bit lower!

Thursday, February 23, 2017 6:20 AM
Updates, tax refund is here in all its glory!

Changed direction on the lowering set up, got Tokico D-spec Struts and Eibach Sportline springs.
They were $100 cheaper than the AGX set up I was looking at(both used mind you), and they're coming off of a pretty well known Jbody owner.
Decided to hold off on the header for now, I'll do exhaust work later this year.

But other goodies ordered;
*Brand new Headlights
*Prothane lower dog mount
*New OEM transmission mount(mines pretty much shot)

Its not a whole lot, but the lowering set up took a big chunk of my budget.
Plus I need a few much needed service parts, picking up a replacement fuel tank this weekend, and getting some tires for the Z wheels.

Plus I'm getting some upgrades for my gaming PC, so that's taking up a bit lol

Of course I'll have photos as I get parts in and installed.

Well here's a photo of Ryan's old set up I'm getting for now - till the new stuff gets here.

Monday, February 27, 2017 3:58 PM
After driving with the Shift+ on setting 1 for about 2 weeks, I switched back to stock(off) and wow it feels so sloppy in shifts.
So setting 1 it shall remain!

Well here's a little taste of whats to come tomorrow.
In addition:
Tokico D-Spec Struts and Sportlines
Urethane lower dogbone mount

Oh wait its gonna rain tomorrow.

Okay, Wednesday!
Oh.. rain again?

THURSDAY!
RAIN AGAIN!?!?!?!?

*whispers cautiously* Fr..friday?
SUNNY!!!!

So friday shall be the install day for everything!

Monday, March 06, 2017 12:05 AM
Well. Well. Well.
Lets begin.

New headlights.

Sadly realized where this guy backed into my bumper at work last year(didn't realize he did till after my shift ended) that the bumper support(the rubber/plastic piece) is pushed down.
So there is nasty gap under the new lights.
You can see it here(the support);

So as soon as I have a nice day again I'll pull the bumper, fix the support and fix the ECU bracket as it broke its spot welds and now rubs the right front wheel in hard left turns.
OH and get the radiator back into the correct location so I can reinstall the middle hood rubber.. things...

Also upgraded to LED headlight bulbs;

Slowly moving on the the exciting updates...
Lower prothane mount installed.

Really need to pull off the timing cover and replace the crank seal, I think thats where all the oil is coming out of.
What a difference it made, yes there is a whole lot of vibration when stopped/idle, but personally I love the feel.
My wife, not so much lol

And the upgrade I've been waiting and waiting for since I first owned a Jbody..
A proper lowering set up.
Tokico Spec-D struts and Eibach Sportline springs.

Absolutely LOVE the drop.

Been playing around with the stiffness on the struts, need to soften them up a little more for daily driving, lot of highway construction going on and crazy bad roads that feel horrible going over lol
Will be getting some larger rear wheel spacers in due time, saving up for some high quality as I don't want to loose a wheel and wreck over my OCD lol
Wish the rear end was lowered a tad be lower, but it'll be okay for now I guess lol

Waiting for a good week of clear weather to drop the old tank and get the replacement on.

Other jobs planned this year;
*Urethane Control Arm bushings(Probably do ball joints and tie-rods at the same time)
*Paint work on passenger side/front bumper, and trunk/spoiler
*Evil eyes welded on
*Rear wheel spacers
*New speakers all around

Monday, March 06, 2017 12:08 AM
And don't know if he's on here anymore or not, but much thanks to Ryan Thompson for giving me a hell of a deal on his old lowering set up.

Monday, March 06, 2017 2:37 PM
You'd be better off spacing the hubs in the rear if you can find a set of spacers. It puts less stress on the wheel bearing.

Car looks great lowered!

Friday, March 24, 2017 5:05 AM
strat81 wrote:You'd be better off spacing the hubs in the rear if you can find a set of spacers. It puts less stress on the wheel bearing.

Car looks great lowered!

Agreed 100%.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Sunday, March 26, 2017 6:13 PM
Took the front bumper off to do a things;
*Secure the ECU, the OEM spot welds(Rivets?) on the ECU bracket rusted off and it was hitting the right wheel and I was afraid it was gonna get ripped out of the car.
*Fix the radiator(Not in the proper mounting location) it wasn't allowing the hood latch bracket to bolt in properly, and was keeping the middle hood bumpers from fitting
*Remove the old OEM intake bong
*Attempt to run the intake into the bumper
*Fix the bumper support so the bumper isn't sagging under the headlights

Lets begin.
No Bumper.

You can see the floppy dangling ECU here.

First fix; The Radiator.
Here you can see where its supposed to be secured in;

And after I got it back in;

Before and after fitment;

Before it was RIGHT up against the upper support, and the upper mounting tabs were almost flush against it.
After being mounted properly there is now a nice gap, and all I need now are the two upper radiator brackets.
Which I will pick up next month at the Bucket Sale.
And all finished;

Not shown is the temporary fix I did to secure the ECU till I can permanently secure it again.

And the fix to the bumper support.
Duct tape.
Lots of duct tape.
BUT it worked great.
I'll have to take pictures of the new fitment around the headlights tomorrow when I finish bolting up the bumper(Had to rush off to work, just put the four nuts to secure it on).

And, while its not pretty I managed to run the filter into the bumper.

Found a AEM 2200 intake at the junkyard, got it for $5, it had a nice rubber flexible coupler at the throttle body with I used to connect an additional pipe into the fender.
The filter fits JUST in the gap left by the old intake bong molded into the wiper fluid reservoir.

And yes I cleaned out the dirt from the fender liner before putting the bumper back on.

I can no longer fit the cruise control cable on the 2.3 throttle bracket sadly, so no cruise for a while.
And I cant get the fuse box bolted back in its location.. but I have a plan for the future.

April 22nd(My birthday!) the local yard is having a bucket sale again.
So I've got a list of goodies I'm going after;
Radiator brackets
Smaller 00+ Starter
Battery relocation set up from a Cobalt
Manual side view mirrors
And of course whatever I see I want that fits inside a 5 gallon bucket lol

Still need to get the fuel tank swapped out, hoping to here in the next week or two since we're finally having warm weather in NC.

Sunday, March 26, 2017 6:16 PM
Also I agree with the hub spacers, I've found a few sets floating around - gotta buy a few priority items, but hoping before the end of April to grab a set.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 11:36 PM
Well.
This happened at work Monday morning.

I guess its kind of lucky it was by an employee of the company I work security for, he is paying out of pocket to repair the damages.
We agreed on an amount, and should not take long to get it back together.
Hood had some rusty cancer anyway...

Ordered a new headlight, it'll be here first thing next week.
Going Friday morning to grab a hood out of the local pull a part, believe they had a black Sunfire, which will come in handy with the repaint I have in store for it...
Friend is going to help me straighten the rad support back out, redneck style - A ratcheting strap and a big tree.
Fender seems to be pushed back a little as well, not sure whats going on there.
Pretty sure(Hopefully..) the bumper will realign itself when I unbolt it and re-position it on the fender(only had one nut holding it on this side right now).

After its all said and done, I'll have enough left over to get a much needed alignment after lowering it, and by a sheer stroke of luck, the same yard I'm getting the hood from just got a 95-99 fuel tank and saved it for me(Normally they puncture fuel tanks when they enter the yard, just so happened to catch them with a Cavalier in the waiting corral).

Definitely not a good way to start off the week. But I think its all going to work itself out in the end.

Friday, April 28, 2017 1:27 PM
Well so far, I picked up a hood and got the front end aligned, it was worse then I thought.

Headlight should be here Monday.

Then Tuesday(my next day off) we're gonna work on straightening the radiator support.

Monday, May 22, 2017 3:18 AM
Well a little redneck ingenuity, AKA a ratchet strap and I was able to pull out the radiator support.
Got it within less than a inch of the original location.

Tried and tried and the strap just didn't have enough OOMPH to go any farther, so I notched the headlight bracket bolt hole a tad and it fit.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

Before/After

Thats all sadly.
Havent had any funds for any new parts or upgrades.

Monday, May 22, 2017 11:13 PM
I hear yea bout the funds. At least ur still in the game. It could have been worse

ReD RaiN
Sunday, June 11, 2017 9:55 PM
Well it was a purdy morning last Sunday when I got off work.
So took some pics.

Going to get the front two wheels painted(back one is painted, and the front looks horrible) this week hopefully.

Stuck between touching up the bumper and passenger side OEM paint, or repainting the whole car white.

Originally installing any time of a sound system was never an option.
However, found a 1000w amp and small 10" dual sub box at a yard sale for $10.
So the fire is getting some 'bump' in the trump.

Keeping the stereo stock, so I've got a RCA converter coming, along with the amp kit this weekend.
Not looking to blow anyone away, just want a little bass with my music.

The center/grill on the amp is removed, just going to spray it a flat black since its pretty nasty looking.

From what I've read the sub's are 800watt/1k peak, so the amp should give them a decent amount of oomph.
Never been much of a audio guy, so unsure if I'm going to them in pairs or run them parallel hopefully one of the local audio gurus can help with that.

But like I said, for about $10 invested into the sound system it'll work.
I also picked up a older 250watt JackHammer 12" sub without a box, sold it to my brother which paid for the wire kit and RCA converter, so that was technically free lol

Sunday, November 05, 2017 7:04 PM
Well it seems Photobucket is being a ass about hosting your images without paying a ridiculous monthly fee.
Guess I'll have to find a new place to upload my photos..

Well we'll see if these will work.

Few things that happened over the last 2 months;
Busted the transmission pan.

Got it fixed, sucked that it happened but I was meaning to replace the fluid anyway haha

Then, more recently had a near death experience, which taught me why you should NEVER drive on a bald tire.
Was coming home from work one morning, cam out of a curve right before my street doing the speed limit of 55mph, hit a bump and felt the back end start sliding and before I knew it I was in the drainage ditch doing three spins, just barely missing the embankment and stopping just shy of a 4ft wide, 4ft high concrete drainage access hole.
Needless to say I was lucky.
Went straight to the local tire shop and got both back tires replaced.
Won't ever let a tire get that bad again.
Only damage taken was the drivers side muffler bent, and broke off the hanger.

And to give you an idea of the speed I was spinning at, grass embedded in the side of the wheel between tire and rim;

But onto the good things.
The local yard had another Bucket sale, and I scored a few things.
Finallt got the radiator support brackets;

One of these days I need to finish removing the A/C system..

Since I cannot get the power mirror system to work(I've tried 3 mirrors and 5 switches, and nothing) I switched to a non-power mirror;

I know some don't like them, but I do; window/rain visors;

And finally, a Cobalt battery cable for the soon to be relocated battery.

Just need;
*Battery terminals
*Battery box
*In line fuse
*Ground cable W/ terminal
Hoping to get this done before the end of 2017.

Still wanting to get the Evileyes welded on the hood, maybe for Christmas lol

Monday, November 06, 2017 8:02 AM
LOL. Nope. PB still not letting you post pics.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search