Ecotec distruction pictures.. - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec distruction pictures..
Sunday, October 26, 2008 4:14 PM
So after I blew my motor on a highway pass I decided to finally jack the car up and see where the hole was a year later. it has been sititing in my garage collecting dust ever since... enjoy..

^^^I was hoping there was no damage to my oil pan as I paid a TIG shop 100$ and waited 2 days for my -10AN bung to be welded in.. that was the only damage sustained

^^There was a balance shaft in there at one time, JDM deletion

^^^This is a picture inside the gaping hole, the distortion of the picture is the fringe of the block hole..

------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Ecotec distruction pictures..
Sunday, October 26, 2008 4:19 PM
So what caused it exactly? Too much boost?
Sunday, October 26, 2008 4:24 PM
destruction!!!!

nice work, brandon. but a year later?? jeas dood!

failing to prepare is preparing to fail.
Sunday, October 26, 2008 4:27 PM
I have heard a thing or 2 that rods on the ecotec 2.2 will snap at around 300 horsepower.... a rod did in fact snap .. It happened with a 10.5 AFR and I believe 16 degrees of timing..

Sunday, October 26, 2008 4:29 PM
Brad.. I wasnt going to bake in my garage over the summer.. and it wasnt going to benefit me because I wasnt going to have all the cash to repair it ya know.. but now that its cold and I do in fact finally have a garage and some heaters I'm going at it.. First thing to do is to get the DP off, I'm dreading this since the bolts are a pita to get on..

Sunday, October 26, 2008 4:31 PM
When the Ecos let loose they really let loose. Mine looked similar, holes through both sides of the block. Even found a piece of the rod in the starter and had to replace that. My oil pan was also destroyed.

Sorry to hear! It'll handle some power for a while then the rods let go, that's my experience anyways.

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Sunday, October 26, 2008 4:47 PM
good thing 2 know!

WiGM-Tuners member.
Sunday, October 26, 2008 4:55 PM
Bummer dude, I was wondering how your car was running... wasn't expecting those pictures! Well good luck with the fix, keep posting progress, I'm interested in seeing what you do.

" To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous. "
Sunday, October 26, 2008 4:56 PM
hey if your gonna do it do it right the first time. very nice job making some internals external

Sunday, October 26, 2008 4:57 PM
yea i had 3 holes in my block.

Sunday, October 26, 2008 5:12 PM
Thank Guys, I

Dave, how's your car doing, I think our cars got finished about the same time..

Sunday, October 26, 2008 5:52 PM
How much boost were you running ?
I've heard 12psi can do it and 14psi, your just asking for trouble.

Time for some forged internals

Sunday, October 26, 2008 7:32 PM
16psi.. and this was a motor that had multiple nitrous bottles ran through it LOL.,

I have an Eagle/Wiesco combo/LZ BS delete/ARP hardware/OE Bearings/HG already.. lower end is good to go, Just need to do my head now..

Sunday, October 26, 2008 7:41 PM
cavmania wrote:So after I blew my motor on a highway pass I decided to finally jack the car up and see where the hole was a year later. it has been sititing in my garage collecting dust ever since... enjoy..

i most def did not enjoy those pix

sucks but hope it comes back stronger

Monday, October 27, 2008 4:28 AM
De Lara (Cortana) wrote:
cavmania wrote:So after I blew my motor on a highway pass I decided to finally jack the car up and see where the hole was a year later. it has been sititing in my garage collecting dust ever since... enjoy..

i most def did not enjoy those pix

sucks but hope it comes back stronger

x2

Good luck on the rebuild.

Monday, October 27, 2008 9:01 AM
My car's under the knife currently, next season I'll have the hahn port fueler installed. I'm currently working on a custom tubular exhaust manifold, it's a first for ecotec cavaliers as far as I know. Maybe a new intercooler as well. I'm going to put my coolant bottle back where it was, battery back where it was... Basically hoping to make it look a bit nicer and work a lot better. Still rocking stock internals though, hopefully I don't have to post the same pics as you

" To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous. "
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search