Yea Still Here, Custom Z24 Just Finishing Up.... - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Yea Still Here, Custom Z24 Just Finishing Up....
Monday, April 20, 2009 8:26 AM
I dont post on here much anymore but figured I would post up pics of this project car i am putting together. I bought it from Joe in Long Island back in January and am just now getting to it. It is an 01 Z24 with 58K miles, shaved door handles, 17 Inch ADR Rims, Tinted windows, Magnaflow Exhaust, RK Sport Cage, custom paint, kit, the car was kind of a basket case putting it together since it had no drivetraine. However now it is running just have a few things I need to take out and put to stock. There is a missfire on cylender 4 so it isnt running perfect. It has Nology spark things, and an RK sport rain and RK FPR, all of which will be coming off and sold for stock parts since I want the car extremly reliable. I am going to ask 5gs for it all up and running good, will I get it? Maybe maybe not, but whatever it is a good car to bomb around in to keep miles off the SS. I am not sure what it is worth anyone chime in with what you think...

So as of now i need to put the stock air intake and box on it, sell the aem intake, put stock fuel injectors, rails, and ignition and sell the aftermarket stuff. I also need to paint the side skirts and the font bumper and trunk. The car is in great shape with a buff and wax it will be almost show worthy. I have no idea how to open the passenger door however which really sucks. I already locked the keys in it running once, what a pain in the ass.

Specks on the motor in it is a 2001 with 58K, 10:1 compression, secret cam swap, all new timing and waterpump crap, all new gaskets. Magnaflow exhaust, so pretty mild but running right should do 15s.

It was starting to rain so i just took pics of it in my SS while i was going to school.
Thanks
Chris

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
2.3-2.4 HO ADAPTER FLANGES 65$ shipped, Check GP Forum!
WILL BUY ANY OEM CATALYTIC CONVERTERS!!! TOP DOLLAR PAID!!

Re: Yea Still Here, Custom Z24 Just Finishing Up....
Monday, April 20, 2009 9:20 AM
What ever happened to the convertible?

Monday, April 20, 2009 9:35 AM
I still have it, sitting in a garage at a family friends house. The stupid MD crank pulley came off, the keyway that spins the lower gear came off and the valves crashed. I got frustrated and just parked it, bought the SS and hate modifying cars. I have bought most of the blown up ones in the NE region forums, 5 and counting. I either make them stock again and sell them or make them work right and sell them. I like cars making me money other than wasting my money haha. This summer I will likely throw a spare head on the convertible just to keep it mobil. I have no interest on ever driving it again. Part of me says keep it because it was my first car and parts of me say put it to stock and part it out. not sure what I will do yet.

Monday, April 20, 2009 9:56 AM
Is that the car you wanted me to contact you about for the 3400?
I pm'd you a while ago about it.

Monday, April 20, 2009 10:15 AM
Not really, I was just exploring the idea. I cant see myself driving a modified cavalier ever again unless it was just to sell.

Monday, April 20, 2009 10:47 AM
stupid md ld9 crank pulley?

as far as i know your the only ones thats ever had this issue with ANY aftermarket pulley... let alone the very best designed one out there.

so what gives?

you install it incorrectly?

I'm tired of wasting my time... now I'm breakin' free.
Monday, April 20, 2009 11:04 AM
I am not getting into that, dont worry about it what happened happened I am not making a @!#$fest over it.. Yes I installed the crank pulley right, pretty hard to screw up a pulley come on. It was simple to see what happened exactly and it makes sense, aftermarket parts are aftermarket parts. GM puts a big heavy steel one on there for a reason. Not saying anything bad about his product, not asking or complaining so dont make a big deal of it.

Monday, April 20, 2009 11:13 AM
I made my opinion along with many others....about the situation.
BTW there are 60 LD9 crank pulleys out and on motors...

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, April 20, 2009 11:14 AM
ok then. dont call a quality part that many others have used for quite some time now without issue 'stupid.

Monday, April 20, 2009 11:43 AM
Dont get sharp with me if your calling me stupid. I threw the pulley out when it happened, I showed it to many reputable technicians and it makes sense what happened. I DONT CARE THOUGH IT IS FINE. I was refering to stupid pulley because it was aftermarket and I really dont like aftermarket parts. Stock usually works best and had i had the stock one on there there wouldnt had been an issue. I have nothing against MD or his pulleys, good luck with them. MY pulley was bad, not all. the keyway was too big and slid right on the crank, what likely happened was with the constant banging on the crank the pulley could possibly shift back and forth with heating and expanding of the alloy. In turn this could have created a back and forth shift like an impact gun eventually making it loose and falling off. End of the day it fell off, was impacted on installed correctly and torqued, I have done the same process for every other crank pulley and never had an issue.

ZYa- Cool it there is nothing to be mad about.
MD- Keep doing what your doing, no hard feelings you even offered another one.

The purple car is done and will likely never be driven again it is just collecting dust. I dont care what happened to it i can fix it I just dont care about it.Realistically it is 3-4hrs for me to pull the old one off and slam a stocker on which I have a ton of. reset the timing pending there is no damage to the pistons and slam it together. Not a big job or a big deal. I grew out of this crap and realized reliability and practicality is more important. Factory works, thats why I bought the SS. But I am selling that because there are way nicer cars and the whole compact 4 banger thing is too flashy.

Monday, April 20, 2009 12:29 PM
Sounds a lot like what happened to one of my friends who used to build DSMs. Eventually got completely tired of the scene and spending the money and eventually turned to scrapping/rebuilding/etc.

I can understand your sentiment on the scene but you come off as slightly condescending about it.

Monday, April 20, 2009 12:45 PM
Haha, yea probably, I guess its just not for me. If your into it great, I would never question how someone spends their money. I know Cavs and Sunfires like the back of my hand, I have owned so many (18 So Far) and just seen the hackjobs some people do I question their thought process. its okay people can screw them up and I will fix them. I found I enjoy making cars work right insted of modifying them. This blue car is a good example of good ideas but then sloppy in some ways. I will work towards making it reliable and simple. If it is a car I am selling I want it to be reliable for the next person, stock = (Usually) reliable. The design of the car is nice, but the shaved handles are kind of impractical for daily use. IDK dont intend to put anyone down just been messing with these cars for a while.

Monday, April 20, 2009 1:16 PM
I don't know if you could get 5k realisticly. At least not in the economy right now. The Blue Book for an 01 Z with 48000 miles with all options checked in excellent condition is $5400. From the pics, it's not in Excelent condition, plus it has the body kit with brings the value down. Try to find a kid who wants a modified car, and you might get what your asking. IMO.

Monday, April 20, 2009 1:21 PM
Def, 5 k is going to be way high. When I am done with it the body will be mint still needs some paint wet sanding a buff and wax. Interior is mint after I replace the dash pad and bezzel. So I figured if I get around book it should be good. I know modifying makes it a lot harder to sell but summer is coming and the number one consumers are kids. Hopefully someone falls in love with it.

Monday, April 20, 2009 2:56 PM
i wasnt calling you stupid. i was referring to you calling mike's pulley stupid.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search