I never thought the day would come - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I never thought the day would come
Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:36 AM
Well to my dismay its time to 86 the 086. I know your saying what....why....thats just wrong. But the ends justify the means. If im gonna put some big lopey cams in with the forged bottom end I bought Ill probably need the head to measure for valve reliefs. What does this mean for the Z's current engine? It means ported polished pre99 head with stainless valves I happened to have laying around, a secret intake cam with stock exhaust cam to try n boost torque, custom 4-2-1 manifold/header, old school style intake with increased plenum to help cut the up top drop off associated with this manifold.

Pics of the progress

the start of the teardown

some ugly but effective fab work

thats it for now.....more to come soon.

Re: I never thought the day would come
Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:45 AM
not bad. i am liking the different direction being taken here...

is that a phenolic spacer i see attatached to the 086? if so i want it.

and out of curiosity just out many miles did you have on the 086 head setup? ive always wondered if such a setup was reliable..

Stand in the corner and SCREAM with me!!!!
Thursday, December 10, 2009 9:10 AM
Thanks.

haha yeah thats a phenolic spacer but im keeping it for the built engine Im actually thinking about buying a phenolic sheet to cut another one out of for this engine. If it turns out well I might make a few and sell em fairly cheap.

Id say I have around 3000 miles on the setup. Its been on for 2 years or so now but not my daily driver. It felt reliable and I didnt have any major issues that werent my fault. I should be finishing the teardown tomorrow and I'll post pics. Im curious if there are any hot spots and also if there is any damage to the lifters and spring setup since I was clueless at the time and ran the 2.4 lifters.

For the Z's current engine I was really hoping to find some 87-88 quad 4 cams to go with the torque theme. They had .340 intake lift/.350 exhasut lift with 212 duration at 50, which would be great for midrange. Im curious to see how the secret intake cam will play out though.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 9:12 AM
Yeah I like the unique approach you are taking also. I'll take that spacer in trade for the gasket off that flange I sold you in that pic? Brad doesn't need it he's fine.

GMR has got nothing on this
Thursday, December 10, 2009 9:28 AM
Thanks and thanks again for the flange. Haha seems my spacer is made of gold or somthing.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:10 AM
Nice man, lovn the process.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:12 AM
Oh just turbo the thing already

Looks nice though, its nice to see people trying different things. Didnt you mod an lsj header with the 086 setup? The quad manifold will work better for the setup?

Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:20 AM
Zs Z wrote:Thanks and thanks again for the flange. Haha seems my spacer is made of gold or somthing.

LOL it is!!!!! not too many have them that ive ever seen.... did you buy it from nukkin futts?

that and its the only spacer i do not have, ive got 3 OEM LD9 ones and one of the UBER rare fontana adapter flanges so i need one of these to complete the collection.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:27 AM
Fontana spacers are rare? Lol Ive had atleast 4 or 5 of them.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:31 AM
oh yeah man, all the time i see ads in the classifieds or mention in threads of people looking for one.

problem is, they really arent that special. i know paul had to port match his to get it just right....

Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:47 AM
Yea Ive seen multiple people mod them for a smoother transition, I never put any thought into it just modded it for the pcv setup.

But anyways back on topic, Z did you ever get any videos with the 086 setup? I bet it sounded mean as hell with the 3" exhaust!

Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:56 AM
icemike89 wrote:Oh just turbo the thing already

Looks nice though, its nice to see people trying different things. Didnt you mod an lsj header with the 086 setup? The quad manifold will work better for the setup?

Sooner or later I will have boost on one of the cavys, Im thinkin m62 on the Z once i play with it N/A. I did mod an lsj header to use with the 086 head but im not entirely happy with the flange on it. It has 1 3/4" primaries so once I get the flange right it should flow more than enough. I plan on adapting the flange I cut off the manifold above on it. The 4-2-1 style will help the current engine in my quest for torque.

z yaaaa wrote:

LOL it is!!!!! not too many have them that ive ever seen.... did you buy it from nukkin futts?

that and its the only spacer i do not have, ive got 3 OEM LD9 ones and one of the UBER rare fontana adapter flanges so i need one of these to complete the collection.

Im kinda sad to say it was once a fontana flange that I dremeled out. I never thought id go back to an ld9 head.

Thanks again everyone.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:58 AM
I never did get any videos because my camera broke and I keep spending money on my car lol. But it did sound nice and mean...thats for sure.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:34 PM
What are you doing with the modified LSJ header? Oh and I still have the gasket you can have it when you want.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:57 PM
Im gonna put a new flange on it to use it when I put the built motor in. N thanks just let me know how much to send it....the sooner the better lol.

Friday, December 11, 2009 8:36 AM
you can have it for free....just pay shipping...which should be no more than 5 bucks Im sure less. I wish I would have found it before I sent out the flange.

Friday, December 11, 2009 11:51 AM
I sent u the 5 bucks just now.

Friday, December 11, 2009 6:54 PM
I got quite a bit done today. Although I didnt have too much time to work on things. My lifters fit on the 2.3 springs just fine. maybe my remanned head has some wierd springs. There was no abnormal ware on either.

Sorry about the crappy cell pics

Sunday, December 13, 2009 9:32 AM
oh i spy a k5 on super swampers. i'd like to see more. nice progress on the cav.

Sunday, December 13, 2009 9:52 AM
MRThompson (jrthompson) wrote:oh i spy a k5 on super swampers. i'd like to see more. nice progress on the cav.

Thanks. Yeah the k5 belongs to a frind of mine. Its has a 350 built for low end torque, longleaf front setup, transfer case doubler kit, on board air, dana 6 front/14 bolt rear, and tons of other goodies. I think he spent somewhere around 8 GRAND on the drive train. He built it for rock crawling/cruising around town. wish I had that kind of funds to dump into the cavalier.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 7:06 AM
sick keep us updated man

JBOK.org / J-Bodies of Kentucky

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:10 AM
The next time I get to work on it is friday. Hopefully Ill have some updates then. Sux working on a car an hour here 2 there but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:43 AM
Zs Z wrote:The next time I get to work on it is friday. Hopefully Ill have some updates then. Sux working on a car an hour here 2 there but you gotta do what you gotta do.

@!#$ try that on a car that is daily driven, why I never have time to get things done on the car.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:50 AM
lol this used to be my daily driver which is why I am getting into the engine now after 8 years of owning it and also why I never put a kit on the car. It looks ok but all the little dents and dings annoy me. Ive been DDing my vert which is definitely helping me get to where I want to be with the Z. I dont think Ill ever go back to 1 car again lol.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 2:57 PM
Listening and impressed with the work done.
Very nice man and look forward to more progress.
I'm also interested in all the fab work involved too, very nice.

Subscribed

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search