viny wrap pics pleasee - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
viny wrap pics pleasee
Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:48 AM
hey guys hoping to start a thread on people that have had some parts of their js wrapped in vinyl please post your pics up, i know its not for everyone but try not to judge

Modding my j since I found the org

Re: viny wrap pics pleasee
Thursday, August 11, 2011 10:30 AM
I wrapped my hood in 3M 1080 Carbon fiber vinyl. Had it on for like a week and took it off because I didn't like how it looked.

Flickr Photostream Facebook Twitter
Thursday, August 11, 2011 10:38 AM
god i should get my roof done in that, i like how it looks in the sun, dont think i'd do the hood though

www.driftnamiperformance.com
Thursday, August 11, 2011 11:33 AM
Cleanest wrap that i have ever seen. Would be interested in seeing the inside of the hood.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 12:42 PM
I wrapped my trunk lid. Ill grab so pics when I get a free minute.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 12:53 PM
bobby that looks awsome specially with you car being black and the hardtop same color.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:54 PM
Has anyone thought about maybe cf wrap and then clear coating it to give it more gloss?? Ive got a cf turbosport hood that was damaged so it needed painted, thought about wrapping it in cf vinyl but it just looks too dull like dry carbon which Im not a fan of.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:03 PM
my homie did a small piece and put clear vinal over top and it actually looked money. but on a big scale with out looking shiny, not a fan.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 5:16 PM
Or Nate you could just wrap some thing for me Come on man I know your getting nice with the resin!

Thursday, August 11, 2011 6:32 PM
98z24ragtop wrote:I wrapped my hood in 3M 1080 Carbon fiber vinyl. Had it on for like a week and took it off because I didn't like how it looked.

Simply Clean!

Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:44 PM
alejandro davila wrote:bobby that looks awsome specially with you car being black and the hardtop same color.

I honestly hated it. It looked dull and like primer in person. Real, shiny carbon would have looked much better. And I wrapped it like an inch under and that was that. No pics of the underside. I like the all black better, myself. If the car was a different color, the contrast would look better, in my opinion. haha

Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:38 PM
haha like in silver. how hard was it to lay down and how much did you use ill be doing hood then trunk then roof

Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:15 PM
hey bobby did you use any extra adhesive or just the one on the back of the vinyl

Friday, August 12, 2011 3:24 PM
I got a free minute to grab some pictures. I did the wrap myself in my garage without a squeegee. I couldnt get one that I trusted so I used a credit car wrapped in a microfiber. It was pretty hood but it did the job. I had a lot of small fine bubbles and they all have seemed to have worked themselves out in the heat. The vinyl I got must breathe a bit. Some may not like it but it only cost me $20 and about 2 hours of my time to change the look of my car temporarily. This was more of a test run to decide if I liked the spoilerless look before I committed to paint and body work.

And to rep the JBO:

Friday, August 12, 2011 4:09 PM
that is clean man

Friday, August 12, 2011 4:51 PM
Thanks man. The wrapping isnt all that hard. Its just intimidating. The biggest trouble I had was shrinking the vinyl enough to match the curve of the lid.

Friday, August 12, 2011 5:05 PM
did you use a heat gun or a blowdryer

Friday, August 12, 2011 7:18 PM
alejandro davila wrote:haha like in silver. how hard was it to lay down and how much did you use ill be doing hood then trunk then roof

The hood alone was 2 square yards, and I'd say you'd need about that much for the trunk. It took my dad and I about 2-2.5 hours to lay down smoothly, cut the excess, and wrap the edges. It was 3M's newest automotive vinyl, called 1080, it's claimed that it will last for like 5 years without taking off or damaging the paint. It's anywhere from $50-100 on eBay and such. I've probably got more pics somewhere, so just let me know if you have any more questions, man.

Friday, August 12, 2011 7:34 PM
I can't not comment about wrapping your hood in CF vinyl and then commenting about having it clear coated to make it shiny. Wrapping a whole hood in CF vinyl is pretty ridiculous but then going and having, or even thinking about, having clear coated is just retarded. Buy a CF hood. If you can't afford it don't fake it.

Friday, August 12, 2011 8:27 PM
Scott (Silver Z) wrote:I can't not comment about wrapping your hood in CF vinyl and then commenting about having it clear coated to make it shiny. Wrapping a whole hood in CF vinyl is pretty ridiculous but then going and having, or even thinking about, having clear coated is just retarded. Buy a CF hood. If you can't afford it don't fake it.

So I guess wrapping things with real cf resin is retarded since the actual item isnt full cf? Cause for around the same price you can buy rolls of cf, mix up the resin and do the work yourself, but technicaly its not "real" cf.

Sorry but what you said sounds kinda stupid. Ive had 3 carbon fiber hoods, which my cbd turbosport got some damage and had to be filled/painted. Id like to refinish it and was curious as to how it would look, but I guess it would be retarded even though its a full carbon/fg hood..

Friday, August 12, 2011 8:41 PM
I thought the entire point of having panels wrapped in vinyl was so that the colors could be easily changed. I didn't do it to cheap out. I did it because I know how quickly I get tired of things I do to my car. Vinyl is cheaper and less permanent and looks just as good if done right

But I do agree on the clear coat. At that point you might as we'll just get a cf wrapped hood.

Friday, August 12, 2011 8:56 PM
Wrapping a body panel in real carbon fiber and then putting resing over it and clear coating it is completely different than just putting some fake CF on it. If you can buy real CF and resin for so cheap and do the work why would even consider wrapping it in fake CF? And yes wrapping an actual CF hood in fake CF and clear coating it would be retarded. Pretty much all aftermarket CF parts made are not fully CF. (Especially for J-bodies.)

Wrapping a body panel to change color is different than wrapping it in fake CF.

But, it's just my opinion so who cares.

I've had a real CF hood too just to be clear.

Friday, August 12, 2011 9:12 PM
My thoughts are its cheap, will look better than a damaged one and I actually like the vinyl look I've seen some v-dubs with the roof done in vinyl and they looked great and I just can't see me paying 500+ for a hood on my dd beanermobile,

Friday, August 12, 2011 9:39 PM
And just to be clear not saying I would do it, but curious as to how it turns out as Ive never seen it done. If it turned out good I bet that would change alot of minds, but Im sure that it wouldnt look anything like a resin.

My biggest turnoff about the vinyl is its duller and looks like dry carbon,which when I think that I think of race cars that are complete function>form

Saturday, August 13, 2011 9:20 AM
Brian car's looking great bro. that's a super clean job on that wrap.

i hope you don't give up on it cuz it's startin to look like a really clean car man.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search