Back in the J Scene - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Back in the J Scene
Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:28 PM
I guess I never left since I still own the GT even though it still needs an engine...

Buuuut.... I got a new winter beater/DD beater.

142k miles, 5 speed(doesnt slip), BRAND new all seasonal tires(100 miles on them), no CEL on, clean interior(other than a missing glove box door which is a good junk yard item), almost NO rust(just a few bubbles near gas tank latch and a TAD on the inside of the door which I would like to know if any of you have any good tips on how to prevent it from go further or repair it. the inside of the door that is.), sub frames are almost rust free, etc etc.

The only thing that I did see is that there is a tad bit of oil around the valve cover, what could this be?

But I got it for only $1200. There is $500 in tires on it, I have $500 in snow tires on my GT rims that will go on for winter plus the black rims for summer.

I am now going to look at a Miata tomorrow for a summer project and for something fun. They seem like they are going to be a great time. PLUS I got my first apartment today! My gf and i get the keys on saturday. It was a good day.

Re: Back in the J Scene
Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:31 PM
Maybe a bad valve cover gasket causing the leak? Super easy to change on the OHV motor.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:36 PM
Yeah I figured it was something like that. Oh and it needs a wheel bearing but that is like 15-20 minutes.

It is a beater but I got some plans for it btw.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:41 PM
wow thats ugly ! lol sorry i had too.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:45 PM
Hahahaha... it is.. buuuuuut I have plans for it like I said. I just need to research a few more things and they will be on their way.

I dunno what to do about a rear bumper. Any suggestions? I got the rest planned out.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:59 PM
i got some new wings west w-type sides and a used ls sport rear with her name on it!

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 9:10 PM
PM me pics if possible.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 9:22 PM
dont have any of either since they are in storage.. the sides are new. lol out of box and straight into storage. rear was from a blue ls sport and the last owner painted the middle area black i think. otherwise its perfect. ill try to get some pics of it tomorrow.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 9:31 PM
you also need to put a 3400 under the hood.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 10:02 PM
MRThompson (jrthompson) wrote:you also need to put a 3400 under the hood.

+1

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 5:21 AM
Lmao I would love to drop a V6 under the hood, but, it probably won't happen. It IS a winter beater... though I DO have plans for it. I am going to look at the REAL performance project here in a few minutes.

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 5:51 AM
3400 is actually a fairly simple swap. hardest part is the wiring. you even have a manual so no bs on messing with trans tuning. its basically drop in motor wire up and drive.

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 6:12 AM
I would hold of doing anything but upkeep on the beater till after you get the miata.... spare money may be better spent on the miata then the cav.

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 7:42 AM
True^^^^^ Just drive it thill the wheels fall off. I wouldn't dump ANY money into a beater, except to keep it on the road.

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 1:44 PM
I am thinking this is what I am going to do... the miata has no paint. It is down to BARE metal. Sooooo first thing will be to get the body prepped for paint. I will make a thread in other cars for that. How much do you think it would be to just get it to flat black primer do you guys think?

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 2:14 PM
I'm not sure, your car is a lot smaller than my Sedan. I'm paying just over $3,500 for a full custom paint job, door jambs etc So I would guess well under $1,000 for what you want.

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 3:55 PM
Nice beater man

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 3:59 PM
Yeah I was hoping to hear something like that Rockn. haha. Makes me feel a little more comfortable buying it.

And thanks Larry. I just bought the wheel bearing and a coolant resevoir cap for it to put on friday.

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 5:38 PM
ROKN20S - aka JuicyJ wrote:True^^^^^ Just drive it thill the wheels fall off. I wouldn't dump ANY money into a beater, except to keep it on the road.

x eleventybillion

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 9:48 PM
Yeah I am going to do that. On my day off I am replacing the wheel bearing and hub assembly. I am going to check the oil, spark plugs/wires, and all that good stuff after.

Thursday, October 06, 2011 4:21 AM
at least take the graphics off......

Thursday, October 06, 2011 5:43 AM
I concur,

add more graphics LOL

Thursday, October 06, 2011 6:50 AM
get some altezzas, chrome hubbies, and add more stickers.

Thursday, October 06, 2011 7:21 AM
And buy an ebay aluminum spoiler? Hahahaha... I dunno. It is a 5 speed and ALL of my vehicles so far in my life have had some kind of exhaust work. I like loud vehicles. I dunno what to do about that.

And the graphics will come off... but it is a PITA. I tried to take some off already. haha.

Sunday, October 09, 2011 4:32 PM
Got both of the wheel bearings changed. The bolts in the hub assembly were frozen and needed heat and I don't have a torch so I had to take it to a buddy. No more noise other than when turning the wheel when not moving. Prbly a tie rod I would guess but no biggy. It's driving prty good.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search