Mr. Piston says hello to Mr. Valve - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Mr. Piston says hello to Mr. Valve
Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:31 PM
This happened a while ago, and I just happen to stumble on the pic. I thought people might be a laugh out of it.
This actually happened twice to my car, and I had to replace the head each time. The second time around, I found out it was because the valves were sticking a little. There wasn't enough clearance in the valve guides. The machine shop took care of that, so hopefully it doesn't happen again.
Enjoy!

Re: Mr. Piston says hello to Mr. Valve
Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:34 PM
Oh yah, I should mention that the valve stem went straight through the piston. It's sticking out the bottom of the piston, and the valve can't be pulled out. It's stuck. And these are Wiseco cryotreated pistons!! Even the strongest bulletproof vest can be pierced with armor piercing rounds, lol.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:37 PM
oops

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:08 PM
wait.. what? how the hell did the valve get turned around and stab into the piston?!!? lol

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:23 PM
well, the valve first got stuck open, which caused the piston to hit the valve. I imagine that snapped the tip off the valve, then when the piston when back down, the valve rotated 180 degrees, and when the piston came back up. BAM. stuck together for life. lol.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:35 PM
At least my valve stayed in the head.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:02 PM
i had this happen as well..due to guide clearance...however my valves were stainless so they just bent, never broke, and just created a tick....... needless to stay i didnt keep running it after it bent so the heads and pistons were saved..
but that does suck dude..pistons and rebuilds arnt cheap..

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:43 PM
Both times, this was with the 1mm oversized valves. Those are all stainless right?

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:03 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:wait.. what? how the hell did the valve get turned around and stab into the piston?!!? lol

My thoughts exactly. Definiitely one of the more creative carnage pics I've seen lately, lol

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:10 PM
VTLoki wrote:Both times, this was with the 1mm oversized valves. Those are all stainless right?

inconel?

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:05 AM
EVILution (KGM Godfather) wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:wait.. what? how the hell did the valve get turned around and stab into the piston?!!? lol

My thoughts exactly. Definiitely one of the more creative carnage pics I've seen lately, lol

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:55 AM
Leafy wrote:
VTLoki wrote:Both times, this was with the 1mm oversized valves. Those are all stainless right?

inconel?

are you asking if what I had was inconel metal, or are you suggesting that as a replacement metal for the valves? I'm not sure what the original metal was. How would I find out?

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:24 AM
Well if you want to find out if its inconel. Try to file it, SS you will leave a mark with the file, inconel you will hardly mar it. I was saying that they could have been since inconel is much harder and likely more brittle than SS.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:07 PM
Wont a magnet tell u if its SS?

GMR has got nothing on this
Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:06 PM
Not all stainless steel is magnetic. Usually stainless is only magnetic on the valve facing and stem tip where it has been hardened.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Sunday, February 12, 2012 10:59 PM
I could try a magnet on it tomorrow if anyone cares. It makes a great office desk ornament everyone tries to pull out he valve but can't. Lol.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search