2017/2018 Updates. - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2017/2018 Updates.
Tuesday, November 07, 2017 4:47 PM
Been a while since I have posted on here with updates.I have been posting on my facebook page for the car (@jmhz2497). SO the last couple years I have been attending this half mile racing event just south of my. Just watching friends and really badass cars race in the half mile. I finally decided it was something I wanted to do. This year it was my goal and I put money aside as it is not like going to the local drag strip to race. We decided at the last minute to get a new, bigger house (3 car garage, yes). It was looking like I would not get to do the Half Mile event, but things went my way and I did it 2 weeks ago. It was soo much fun. Car preformed great!! I won the FWD class for the day I ran on Sunday. top speed of 124.44mph. I was trying hard to get the 125mph mark, but couldn't. I was beating Golf R's and even some v8's.People really do not realize what it takes to run the half mile. I'm already planning my next one, but of course I want to get faster as well. Below are some pictures taken, and I will post a couple video's later as well. Also some pictures from a local car show a few weeks back as well. My focus is on getting my built motor in the car along with engine bay paint work.

Local show with my son.

FU Tuning

Re: 2017/2018 Updates.
Saturday, November 18, 2017 5:24 AM
congrats on the win!!

We have roll racing semi-locally but no standing 1/2 mile or mile races. I think it would definitely be cool to try.

if you still have the air dam below the rad, might try completely taping off the center section of the front bumper to see how it does. the lower air dam should direct enough air up into the radiator I would think.

Sunday, November 19, 2017 1:42 PM
strat81 wrote:congrats on the win!!

We have roll racing semi-locally but no standing 1/2 mile or mile races. I think it would definitely be cool to try.

if you still have the air dam below the rad, might try completely taping off the center section of the front bumper to see how it does. the lower air dam should direct enough air up into the radiator I would think.

I think you are right, but I have a air to air intercooler for the M62, so taping that off would hurt the cooling of the intercooler.

FU Tuning

Sunday, November 19, 2017 3:20 PM
Forgot you had the air to air...

Maybe try closing up the rear end to keep air from getting trapped behind the rear bumper... like an undertray of sorts.

Thursday, November 23, 2017 7:09 AM
strat81 wrote:Forgot you had the air to air...

Maybe try closing up the rear end to keep air from getting trapped behind the rear bumper... like an undertray of sorts.

yes this wold be something to look into. I believe me built motor will be in before I run another half mile event. That is the plan at least.

FU Tuning

Thursday, December 14, 2017 5:30 AM
Why not trophy pics here.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, December 14, 2017 6:39 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Why not trophy pics here.

Have not uploaded them. Only have on my phone.

FU Tuning

Saturday, December 16, 2017 6:27 AM
What about some sort of rear diffuser??

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Monday, December 18, 2017 8:08 PM
Blwn LD9 wrote:What about some sort of rear diffuser??

Maybe. First built motor needs to go in and see what that brings for power.

FU Tuning

Thursday, December 28, 2017 4:40 PM
Here is the trophy I got for the Half Mile event.

The most recent change is this:

Also every year our local cars and coffee has a cars and coffee at the Concourse Elegance at Amelia island. You have to submit to have your car in it and I have always been denied. This year I was accepted. This is not until March, but I will be posting pictures of course.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, January 02, 2018 10:39 AM
Waiting on E85 / E47 results.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Tuesday, January 02, 2018 4:16 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Waiting on E85 / E47 results.

Dyno session scheduled for Friday.

FU Tuning

Friday, January 05, 2018 6:59 PM
Car was on the Dyno tonight. It made 241whp and 259wtq on the E47 mix and tuning. Picked up 19 whp and 23wtq with the E47.

Now I need to go back and run the 1/2 mile again.

FU Tuning

Friday, January 05, 2018 7:30 PM
That is about the same gain I had with 101 Octane gas. We didn't tune on the dyno so there might be some more power left to be had with another degree or 2 of timing.

Sunday, January 07, 2018 1:22 PM
awesome results on the e47 tune. nice to see you guys still posting on here.

Monday, January 08, 2018 3:36 AM
Very nice man congrats!

DRIVING FORCE FABRICATIONS

Monday, April 16, 2018 2:02 PM
So some more small updates. I'm slowly getting things in order to pull the motor and trans and paint the engine bay/install some bushings.install built motor. I think by the end of summer I might be doing that, but we will see.

I did get a new part and got it installed.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 6:35 AM
What pulley are you running on the m62? Also, I'd love to see more pictures of your intercooler setup. Also come more info on how well it works for you..

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, April 18, 2018 2:46 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:What pulley are you running on the m62? Also, I'd love to see more pictures of your intercooler setup. Also come more info on how well it works for you..

2.7 on the pulley. Pictures will be hard, but I can get detailed pictures during tear down for motor swap later this year.

IAT's are really good. I am spraying a small jet of water only, which I think doesn't make much difference. I need to do some testing on that again. I usually do not see IAT's over 135, but really depends on what the temps are when I start. I have what I call a purge button setup on the water, to spray before a run to bring down iat's before a run. I have had this for many years and on my M45 I could bring temps down 20-25 degree's before making a pull. With the intercooler setup I do not see no where near as much as the intercooler does a good job bringing temps down.

FU Tuning

Thursday, April 19, 2018 9:13 AM
That's awesome. Buddy of mine did an air/air with a tvs 2.5" pulley. The temps are very well under control. I've always wanted to make a similar purge button for my meth injection kit for exactly the same reasons. I think I will based on what you've said here.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, April 19, 2018 6:26 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:That's awesome. Buddy of mine did an air/air with a tvs 2.5" pulley. The temps are very well under control. I've always wanted to make a similar purge button for my meth injection kit for exactly the same reasons. I think I will based on what you've said here.

I recommend it.

Also add my M62 is never too hot to touch.

FU Tuning

Sunday, June 24, 2018 9:32 AM
Looks good as always. What head gasket are you using?

GMR has got nothing on this
Sunday, June 24, 2018 6:41 PM
DOHC_tuner wrote:Looks good as always. What head gasket are you using?

Currently factory stock. Besides the secret cams, this engine is factory stock internally, water pump, T-stat, hoses etc...

FU Tuning

Sunday, June 24, 2018 7:04 PM
So an update. I have a thread in the racing section about getting the car ready to road race it. This has been something I have wanted to do for a couple years. within a hour of me is a 1.6 mile road course. They do open track days all the time, just timing/money/life has not worked out. A few months ago I got the chance to start working part time at this place working open track days. I'm doing corner work/flagging on the track. I figured this was a way to learn more about something I am interested in and earn some extra cash for the car and track days.

As Father's Day was approaching and trying to find something my Dad and I could do together to spend time together other than just sitting at a table and eating. I decided to pay for him and I to track my car at this road course (aka The FIRM). I paid for both of use to have a 20 minute session with a instructor (they require this if you have no experience, but you can also do even if you have experience). We were suppose to do this on Fathers Day, but the event was cancelled as we were the only ones who signed up. So we rescheduled to yesterday. The last 2 weeks I have been prepping the car, checking fluids, etc...

When the Fathers day event was cancelled it gave me more time I decided to do a coolant flush which had not been done in a good 5-6 years. During this I realized my hoses and t-stat were all factory original. I did not replace them as time would not allow, but I did order some silicone hoses for the future. Seems I still have some air in the system as the coolant temp would raise to around 220-225 while on track but never higher, as the day went on we were bleeding air out of the system after each run and last session the temp was maybe 205-208. I plan to bleed it some more this week.

I know a few people were concerned we wold have brake issues. My brakes in the front are stock size, with slotted and crossed drilled, SS lines, running Duralast GT street pads. They have a Carbon fiber backing, and ATE type 200 fluid. Rear disc conversion (Saturn).Brakes were wonderful all day. I had more brakes than I needed, I know I can lower my lap times by using them more.

Oil temps did get high. First time out with the instructor they got 250+. Needle was past the 250 mark. I did not see this as I was watching the track and my coolant temps. Rest of the day once we got to 250 we would back the car down and cool it off. Again motor is factory with 160k on it. Looking into oil cooler options now.

Our last session of the day my Dad was driving and he was WOT top of third, lets off the gas to brake hard for a banked corner and it was like the throttle was stuck open. Things got really hairy for a moment, but he was able to get the car slowed and off the course. We had to be towed off. Michael Davis Tow strap came in handy. Issue ended up being a charge pipe came off. This literally happened in the last 10 minutes of the day. My Dad had brought the trailer so we just loaded the car on the trailer and brought it home. It was soo hot outside the car was hot and the location is under the charger we did not feel like dealing with it.

I'm very please with how the car handled!!!! We were in third gear most of the track, except for a hairpin turn you have to go to second gear, and the big straight that I would go into fourth gear, topping out 97-100mph. We had a C6, C7, cople mustangs, handful of Miata's, couple old MR2's, Focus ST, newer STI, couple CTS-V's. We also had a Aerial Atom with a turbo Ecotec (just Nasty) and a Lutos Turbo that was straight race setup. These 2 being the fastest cars of the day. The cavalier held it's own. I only pointed people by when I was backing the car down. I also caught a couple cars, but the vette's it was more even. With this being my first track day and learning the right way to drive the track, the car has more into. Currently does not have a rear sway bar, but I have one for it to install.

I have a few pictures I will get uploaded tomorrow, but I did get a video of my last session driving. Enjoy.

Track Day Video

FU Tuning

Monday, June 25, 2018 5:18 PM
Got a box today.

Hmm

Something I have been wanting for a long time.

Oil cooler ordered today as well.

From the track day.

My Dad driving

How are day ended.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search