Rubbing sound and vibration.. - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rubbing sound and vibration..
Thursday, February 10, 2005 9:18 PM
I have a 2002 Cavalier Z24 with a slight problem. There is a vibration in the front end of the drivers side. It vibrates through the pedals and up to my rear view mirror. It is a vibration not a shake. I am not a mechanic so I don't know any technical names but I was originally told that it was the bearing that has the wheel studs on it. That got replaced and it still does it. Someone else suggested that it was the bearing inside the transmission. Has any one else had this problem? Thanks in advance.

Re: Rubbing sound and vibration..
Friday, February 11, 2005 4:25 AM
Does it happend all the time? only when you turn? only on straight line? only when you brake? give us more info.

As for the tranny bearing

Btw, vibration and shaking is the same thing unless you explain clearly what you feel.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Friday, February 11, 2005 5:23 AM
Thanks for the info on the tranny bearing. Yeah it used to happen just when I turned right but now even going straight it does it but very low. I can hear it but no actual vibration unless I turn. No vibration when I brake. I have had that outside bearing replaced and new tires put on. It is not shaking as if my tires where out of balance or I needed new rotors. The sound is sooo loud that I have to turn the radio up 3/4 of the way in order to hear it. Maybe the drive shaft on the driver side is rubbing something?
Friday, February 11, 2005 7:08 PM
can be the other side. Sometime a sound may seen to be on one side and it's on the other. It does sound like a wheel bearing.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Saturday, February 12, 2005 6:33 PM
Question does in do it in park or in neutral?

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Saturday, February 12, 2005 7:24 PM
Probably a wheel bearing, I had to replace mine.. Easy job if you have the right sockets.
Saturday, February 12, 2005 7:41 PM
No it doesn't happen in park or neutral. It only happens when I turn the wheel to the right and the car is moving. Not as noticable until I reach about 25 miles per hour.

I have had the wheel bearing replaced on the driver side. I was told that the weight of the vehicle on a bad bearing makes that noise, but it has been replaced and still does it.

Mfk-223: You are the third person to tell me that the noise can transfer to the other side, but it doesn't make the noise when I turn left. Peace and Quiet!!!!! I actually look forward to turning left!!!!!
Saturday, February 12, 2005 11:52 PM
It still sounds like a wheel bearing. I autocross my 99 cav rs, and use some pretty extreme allignment settings on a relatively stock suspension, and I have replaced all 4 wheel bearings at least twice in the last 2 years, fronts 3 times.They dont last in these cars. You had the LF wheel bearing (hub assembly) replaced before? Did they check the LR? Did they check all 4? Lift the car or jack it up, and check each wheel. Grab the tire with both hands and try to wobble the wheel/tire in and out, up/down, side/side. I bet you find that the LR wobbles. It doesnt have to move to be bad though. Rotate the tire with one hand and put the other on the coil spring. Sometimes vibrations from a bad bearing can be transmitted through the suspension and be felt. Good luck.
Sunday, February 13, 2005 1:10 AM
its the hub assembly...wheel bearing..whatever you want to call it...that theory of weight distribution in a turn determining which one it is is about 90% accurrate......it wasnt accurate with mine...when i turned right the sound went away so we thought it was the right that was bad...we replaced it and it was still there....so we went and swapped it over to the left side ( its the same part for either side) and it fixxed it up perfect..no vibration whatsoever

hopefully you still have the wheel bearing from the driver side..so you can put that one back on.....and put the new one on the passenger side..i wouldnt recommend putting the passenger side used one on the driver side....or wherever you took it to make them buy you a new one for the driver side and fix the problem since they did it wrong

Sunday, February 13, 2005 6:18 AM
Ok guys! You have convinced me to change the passenger side wheel bearing. I am going to try the rocking test as you suggested Josh and see how it goes. I still have the old one from the driver's side.

I belong to a car club and one of the guys is a mechanic. He is the one who suggested the bearing in the transmission BS. I think he just didn't want to check out the other side so he gave that BS. It took him a whopping 10 minutes to change it with air tools. Now I have to do it by hand because I don't want him touching it.

CAN'T STAND BS!!!!

You know or you don't!

I'll take your advice Colorado just to make sure and THANK YOU to everyone for the advice! It is greatly appreciated!

Chris
Sunday, February 13, 2005 8:00 PM
This might be your problem!!!!
Same thing happened to my 99sunfGT, more noticable in warmer temperatures. Your strut tower has a big rubber thingy, and its worn. I was advised by multiple mechanics to ignore it if i want, as it wont cause any wear and tear, its just bothersome. Or replace it for about $180(cdn) including labour. You'll notice it most when ur turning slightly or slowly.

Thursday, February 17, 2005 9:04 AM
OK! Josh you are the man!!!!! I changed the passenger side wheel bearing this morning. I then proceeded to take it out onto the beltway and slammed the pedal to the floor! You should have seen me weaving in and out of traffic!! LOL!!! No! I took my time and changed a few lanes and guess what? It was peaceful!

Thanks again guys!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search