Newbie alert - Newbies Forum

Forum Archive
This thread has been archived. Posts that have been archived can not be replied to.
Newbie alert
Friday, February 13, 2004 8:57 AM
Well hello everyone.

To start, im not a newbie to automotive modification, i do it as a profession, and im widely recognized in modding the Kia sephia/spectra engines.

Out of neccesity, i just bought a 2000 pontaic sunfire. I wish to learn why a 2.2L is so underpowered and the best ways to mod it, without the use of turbo's or nitro.

From what i so far have learned, my 2.2L produces 115HP @5k rpm's, however it has a rev limiter that wont let me pass 4k, it'll drop you down to 2800. On a dyno, it registers 96hp.

Now i know from the years working with kia's, that it has alot of potential, However it also may be more cost effective to just swap a 2.4L ecotek in place, which i currently dont have the resources for.

A MSD upgrade can eliminate the rev limiter and place it much higher, but i dont know what the stock 2.2 Sohc can handle. Can i please have some recommendations?

Re: Newbie alert
Saturday, February 14, 2004 4:21 PM
<br>

Z24 burnout ***VIDEO*** http://mrlja.250free.com/Z24burnout.WMV made by me
Saturday, February 14, 2004 4:25 PM
......... <br>

Saturday, February 14, 2004 4:56 PM
works <br>

Sunday, February 15, 2004 4:53 PM
The 2.2 is a pushrod engine. Not, OHC. I wouldn't raise the rev limiter on it without some valvetrain upgrades at least. <br>

<a href="http://www.cardomain.com/id/aasyranth">96 Sunfire GT Turbo</a>
Monday, February 16, 2004 11:42 AM
thanks
<br>

Learn before you burn
Monday, February 16, 2004 11:43 AM
thanks
<br>

Learn before you burn
Monday, February 16, 2004 4:31 PM
If you're mechanically inclined enough that you can nonchalantly "swap a 2.4L ecotek in place" then by all means do it. There're some pretty good ways to get more power out of the 2.2, but it's not going to be a match for a 2.4 ecotec (or are you thinking the 2.2 ecotec?)
Monday, February 16, 2004 7:37 PM
im an automotive engineer, so im very mechaniclly inclined, i just dont have the funds right now for the swap. <br>

Learn before you burn
Wednesday, February 25, 2004 9:09 AM
Quote:

Kia/Hyundai Aftermarket, Trying to figure out why a 2.2L SOHC only makes 115hp @ 5000 rpm's, when this damn car has a rev limiter at 3800 rpm's.

from Hyperian's reg.

I doesn't have a rev limiter at 3800. What makes you say that? Did you put the car in nutreal and punch trhe gas? <br>

Wednesday, February 25, 2004 9:10 AM
Quote:

Kia/Hyundai Aftermarket, Trying to figure out why a 2.2L SOHC only makes 115hp @ 5000 rpm's, when this damn car has a rev limiter at 3800 rpm's.

from Hyperian's reg.

I doesn't have a rev limiter at 3800. What makes you say that? Did you put the car in neutral and punch the gas?

<br>

Wednesday, February 25, 2004 11:36 AM
Why's everyone double posting? The 2200's Rev limit is not 3800... more like 6500 (around there.. I try not to hit it )

To swap in an ecotec, you're going to need to swap tranny's... since the bolt patterns for the eco and 2200 are different, deffinetly an option although I wouldn't due it. Best way to make a 2200 fast is forced induction/ nitrous. Bolt ons won't get you very far with this engine. Ofcourse, if you have the money you can make any engine fast.... but for NA performance, you migh aswell drop in a V6....
Wednesday, February 25, 2004 11:38 AM
danm, I can never spell on this thing.. I mean do, not due...
And also, I'm not sure if anyone makes any adapters to fit an eco to a 2200 tranny... it is a possibility.

How much power are you looking at getting?
Forum Archive
This thread has been archived. Posts that have been archived can not be replied to.

Start New Topic Advanced Search