why does ppl bash the vss mod? - Page 2 - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: why does ppl bash the vss mod?
Friday, December 04, 2009 12:15 PM
I'm going to post in here. Speed limiters are their for a reason, look at AMG mercedes benz, sl65 amg for starters, 604 hp/738 ft pounds of torque, thats a lot of power, guess what, it's limited to 155 mph, all amgs stop at 155.....for safety i'm sure. i've always been under the impression of as fast as your tires can go....i have an 04 bonneville too, my limiter is removed (well its set to 258 mph) but you get the point. like that article linked, there is no one in the U.S. where you can legally drive 100+ on public roads....and yes, to trap at 108 +, takes a lot of mods, sure i'll trap over 108 with my 3.8 cam/headers swap in my sunbird, only then after hours and hours of tuning, will i worry about removing my limiter.....so that's my take on it

cheers guys
Juan

Friday, December 04, 2009 2:27 PM
IMO if they are going to set up the car so it doesnt go past its safe limit than the speed limiter should be set at like 80.

why set it at 108 when 80 would ultimately be safer? on the same note why even bother with putting the speedometer to 110? even on a base model? why? there is no logical explanation.

its just one of those idiotic things...

Stand in the corner and SCREAM with me!!!!
Friday, December 04, 2009 3:13 PM
z yaaaa wrote:IMO if they are going to set up the car so it doesnt go past its safe limit than the speed limiter should be set at like 80.

why set it at 108 when 80 would ultimately be safer? on the same note why even bother with putting the speedometer to 110? even on a base model? why? there is no logical explanation.

its just one of those idiotic things...

Probably because the car companies want their cars to be cool...
Friday, December 04, 2009 4:45 PM
Probably 85% of cars probably never go past 80 mph. By that token then why put more than 85 hp in a car?

Sunday, December 06, 2009 8:24 PM
TheSundownFire (JBO Chat) By that token then why put more than 85 hp in a car?[/quote wrote:

I doubt 85hp could lug around almost 3/4 of the american society with how obese we are

Sunday, December 06, 2009 8:47 PM
1. If you aren't trapping @ 108, you don't need the VSS mod.
2. If you have never been to a track, and don't plan on doing it anytime soon, you don't need the VSS mod.
3. If your cavalier/sunfire is FAST enough to trap @ 108, and you run @ the track, you have the tuning knowledge already in place to disable it by other/better means.

I feel that people bash the mod because if a person is SERIOUS about tuning, they would get HP Tuners. Anyone who dumps $600 on software like that, certainly will upgrade their tires, suspension, and have the experience to drive faster than 108.

On the other hand, someone who lurks on here, and searches for the VSS mod, probably has a couple engine mods (CAI, short shifter) and thinks that their car can handle it.

We bash it because it's EASY TO DO, ILLEGAL and VERY VERY UNSAFE

Monday, December 07, 2009 12:40 PM
I love how this thread basically explained how to mod the speed limiter. Nice job guys.

Monday, December 07, 2009 1:04 PM
Tinkles wrote:I could care less if some retarded ricer killed himself by doing stupid @!#$.

how much less could you care?

Saturday, December 12, 2009 5:19 AM
J03Y wrote:
Tinkles wrote:I could care less if some retarded ricer killed himself by doing stupid @!#$.

how much less could you care?

I'd care more if i could have that dreamsicle.

219whp - I <3 whine

Saturday, December 12, 2009 5:22 AM
if your smart enough to make the car run 108 and get there quickly or in the 1/4 mile then you should have no trouble defeating the VSS

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, December 12, 2009 4:31 PM
TheSundownFire (JBO Chat) wrote:I love how this thread basically explained how to mod the speed limiter. Nice job guys.

Eat my shift

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:23 PM
so does this mean you wont tell me how to do the vss mod on my stock LS sport coupe? jfwy I wonder if they people who ask about it have any idea how long it takes their car to actually get going that fast, and how long they have to be traveling at an unsafe speed (ie over 95, at least I considered above that unsafe on last car) damn every mph over 100 feels like it takes a whole minute to pass by. I could understand taking it off if you were making north of 300 hp and had coil overs and larger sway bars along with ultra high performance tyres and you could reach such a speed in a timely manner and still be in control.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:38 PM
Leafy wrote:so does this mean you wont tell me how to do the vss mod on my stock LS sport coupe?

Nope

219whp - I <3 whine

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 12:39 PM
Tinkles wrote:
Leafy wrote:so does this mean you wont tell me how to do the vss mod on my stock LS sport coupe?

Nope

the sarcasm is weak with this one.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, January 13, 2010 12:57 PM
I didnt sense any sarcasm. Just sounded like every other newb VSS post.

Sunday, January 17, 2010 11:22 AM
i wish my car could handle going past 108...

Eat my shift
Monday, January 18, 2010 7:25 PM
M2... my car is slow wrote:i wish my car could handle going past 108...

w3Rd

Monday, January 18, 2010 10:18 PM
Heh, you want a car that can handle going past 108 just get Knight Rider and his super pursuit mode do 300 mph in less than a minute.
Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:08 PM
120-125mph on stock suspension, wheels, and brakes feels like the car is about to break in half and fly into a million pieces.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:13 PM
^i've felt that at 104. lol.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:20 PM
^^^Ive felt that at 88.

Well maybe thats because my flux capacitor was acting up.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:39 PM
maxZ24 wrote:120-125mph on stock suspension, wheels, and brakes feels like the car is about to break in half and fly into a million pieces.
how is that possible if the engine is dead after 108, unless you remove the limiter.
Wednesday, January 20, 2010 6:47 PM
Bill wrote:
maxZ24 wrote:120-125mph on stock suspension, wheels, and brakes feels like the car is about to break in half and fly into a million pieces.
how is that possible if the engine is dead after 108, unless you remove the limiter.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh? I think thats what hes getting at.

Thursday, January 21, 2010 7:22 AM
lol.. this is a funny thread...

There are many reasons why the vss mod is idiotic.. especially to ask someone about...
1.. your car sucks... sorry.. but it does.. mine too... lol.. and has no business going past 100... IF u can even hit 100...
2.. Your car will literally rattle itself apart at those speeds.. not to mention your brakes cant handle stopping from that speed..
3.. if a $250,000 sports car is limited to 155 (as most are),, what makes you think your $2000 car should even be close to that??

but for the few guys that have gutted their rides, built everything to last and changed what needs to be changed... they already have the knowledge to perform this simple mod... If you need to ask about it, You are in NO position to try it... and it seems everyone here is in agreement to lets just drop it mmmk?
Thursday, January 21, 2010 7:42 AM
Just buy a 442 W41, they stop at 140ish.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search