New to the forum, air intake question - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New to the forum, air intake question
Monday, February 15, 2010 12:37 PM
Hey, ive been lurking around here for a while, so id like to make myself known. I currently own my third J-body car, a 2004 Cavalier LS 2.2 eco, i used to own a 2001 Cav 2.2 and a 1996 Sunfire 2.4. This site has been a great resource for all of the things i didnt feel like asking a mechanic about. I've included some basic pics, theres nothing special about the 04 right now except for 17'' SSC brushed aluminum wheels that are going on in the spring.

My first question to this forum involves the air intake. I was thinking about getting a CAI kit from autozone to pick up another 4-5 hp, though i can tell its a little more than a 10 minute job on the eco than what it was on the stock 2.2 (i believe there are vacuum hoses where i would like the filter to sit). So yeah:

1. what is the best way around this, and does it involve taking a whole bunch of parts off the car?
2. seeing as though i wont be putting a turbo in (i lack the time, money and knowledge to do so), is this even worth doing?

Thanks!

Re: New to the forum, air intake question
Monday, February 15, 2010 6:27 PM
an intake is a very easy mod, and sure if you're just looking to mod your car a little bit, intake's basically the first place to start, even if your'e not going for big power adder's (turbo,blower,n2o). all you'll have to do is tear out all the factory intake system and replace with new, it really should'nt be more than a few hour project even for someone with very limited mechanical skill. only basic hand tools are needed.

u will need to hook up the iat (intake air temperature) sensor, the breather hose from the valve cover, and a line from the fuel pressure regulator.

do not go with an autozone intake. they suck. (i know from experience). buy one from a reputable company, or build your own.

http://cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp?cid=130&pid=1026

in all the searching around that i did, this was the cheapest intake i could fine for our specific engine. (the other engine's available for j's are generally much cheaper, but not the ecotec, unless like i said you build your own.)

hope this helped bud.

Monday, February 15, 2010 7:41 PM
Thanks for the imput and the link, still, at $95 that is still much better than the $60 crap that autozone wanted to sell me, more cheap plastic and whatnot. I'll post before/after pics once i get enough money together. Being a broke chump sucks

Monday, February 15, 2010 8:03 PM
ill sell you the plastic intake part from AEM for the eco.. all you need really is a 90 degress bend and a filter.
its the black plastic piece in the pic.

PM me if your interested.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search