2.4l cobalt ss pcm swap to a 2.2l cavi? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4l cobalt ss pcm swap to a 2.2l cavi?
Monday, June 07, 2010 10:16 PM
Just got a question to clear things up. My friend keeps insisting that he put a stock CHIP out of a cobalt ss ( i assume he meant the 2.4l n/a not the 2.0 sc) any way can some confirm if this is possible or not. i want to put this argument to a rest. he states he just plugged it in and hes got more power. (( he has a 05 2.2 cavi.....and took the chip out of either 05 or 06 cobalt ss)) i just figured the 05 cavi has Manual throttle control and the newer cobalts have electronic><><><><> thanks for any input

<RhYnO>

Re: 2.4l cobalt ss pcm swap to a 2.2l cavi?
Monday, June 07, 2010 11:05 PM
I doubt that it would work. The 2.4 has VVT
Some people believe anything, I was car shopping with my buddy and there was a 2006 'balt SS/SC and a 2005 Z24. The dealer said the Z24 was chipped and that it would destroy the SS/SC, I asked him if we could take both cars out for a spin to prove his theory but he said no

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 8:26 AM
He probably swapped over one of those egay horsepower chips scams.

1. Both PCM's are programed completely differently. Ex. Cobalt PCM is Russian and the Cavy PCM is in Pig Latin. They cannot communicate with each other.
2. The 2.4L Cobalt has VVT which wasnt found on ANY Cavalier and makes the swap even more difficult.
3. You cannot "Chip" OBD2 systems. Only OBD1 which was phased out by GM in ~1996. The only way to make changes to a OBD2 or newer system is to reflash it with a program like HPTuners.

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 10:38 AM
Thanks for the input now i can shove his nose in the ground and get my bet money from him lol thanks also i ha e one more question for yall i also own a 05 cavi i already have a custom ram air intake which suprisingly gave better trottle response next im installing cat back exhaust what would be the next step to do thats affordable im not lookin for alot of power just an edge over the competition and its my dd so i want it to still be realiable any tips? Cams... I was thinkin maybe a stage 1 or 2 clutch? Any opinions?

<RhYnO>
Tuesday, June 08, 2010 5:42 PM
Stage 2 cams(they need stronger valvesprings), LE5 intake manifold, larger injectors, and of course HPTuned will give you a decent gain for <$1000. Im making ~220whp with supercharged 2003 cavalier and my stock clutch is holding up just fine and im not nice to it.

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 11:39 AM
Ask him how he addressed the issue of the reluctor wheel.

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 2:46 PM
John Lenko wrote:Ask him how he addressed the issue of the reluctor wheel.

as well as replacing a chip, since all the chips in the computers are actual microprocessors soldered to the IC board. there is no prom switching like the old days.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search