Not a newbie, but I feel like it...2200 goals, suggestions requested - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Not a newbie, but I feel like it...2200 goals, suggestions requested
Thursday, August 19, 2010 10:04 AM
I signed up with the JBO a number of years ago, but sold my car. I got the bug and went out and bought a 98 cavalier convertible with the 2200 engine. I had an lsj I wanted to swap, I forgot all about the BCM and just ditched that idea.

I think I have big dreams of a v6 swap like everyone else, but at the end of the day this is what I am really looking for.

Nice handling streetable car

Keeping the auto transmission and air conditioning for my wife

All safety features (air bags, etc) in tact

180 hp at the crank, (I'd like to have just a smidge more than my 2.4 ecotec in the g6)

The car is not my daily driver. I plan on modding the suspension (NWF, IRS, N aluminum control arms, springs shocks and struts, bushings, alignment) for atleast the next 6 months.

What ideas do you have? I'd prefer no NOS, this won't be a track car, I think my track requires roll bars for convertibles.

Thanks, in advance

Sig'less since '02!

Re: Not a newbie, but I feel like it...2200 goals, suggestions requested
Friday, August 20, 2010 12:46 PM
Boost. Youre going to be hard pressed to make that kind of power N/A without a serious investment.

Friday, August 20, 2010 5:12 PM
wait. your'e looking for 180 hp to the crank with the 2200 or with a v6?

if it's with a 2200 do what brian said since your'e against nitrous. and probly wouldn't even get there with nitrous without quite a bit of other modification.

Monday, August 23, 2010 1:22 PM
Not against it, but if I do the mods to support it I just feel like I should go all the way with a full build. There are alot of nice cars here with tons of work done, Gary's 2.4 is crazy, the 2200 that qwk ln2 has is just amazing. I guess a road map to performance is what I am looking for. What is the first thing to do. Should I build the top end or bottom first, when do I need to start looking at a tune etc.

Sig'less since '02!
Monday, August 23, 2010 5:11 PM
your'e talking about the 2200 now right?

if so read in the performance section. there's tons of threads from all kinds of different builds in there. your best bet is to research.

as for "all the supporting mods" for nitrous. i don't have a clue what your'e talking about. it's really not that complicated and you don't have to upgrade anything like you do with boost. read the faq's in the nitrous forum.

but obviously for any basic "road" for performance the beginning should be i/h/e= intake, header, exhaust. then decide what your'e doing from there. if you are planning on boost then don't bother with the header as you'll just have to replace it with a turbo exhaust manifold later down the road. if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

but seriously, read the stickies, they're their for a reason and you will learn alot simply from reading them.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:22 AM
redbeansandrice wrote:Not against it, but if I do the mods to support it I just feel like I should go all the way with a full build. There are alot of nice cars here with tons of work done, Gary's 2.4 is crazy, the 2200 that qwk ln2 has is just amazing. I guess a road map to performance is what I am looking for. What is the first thing to do. Should I build the top end or bottom first, when do I need to start looking at a tune etc.

As a fellow 2200 owner Ill shed some light. Your engine doesnt benefit well from bolt ons. Why you may ask. The intake and exhaust ports on the heads are tiny. They flow horribly. First step to gain any performance is to address the head with a port and polish, valve job (1mm oversized valves if you please), 1.6 rockers, hybrid lifters (search the name in performance to learn more), and a nice cam regrind based on your application (search around for a good cam profile or ask Ryan (QWK LN2) for a good profile based on your boost goals etc.

I have a boost build planned summer 2011 or 2012 depending on how things go. Im attempting to push the stock bottom end as far as I can and keep the car my DD.

My plans are:
P&P
3 angle valve job
Hybrid lifters
Some type of stiffer valve spring Ive yet to decide on
Stock bottom end
Stock rockers (stock ratio is 1.54 vs aftermarket 1.6. So I dont see a need as of now)
Havent decided a turbo yet but about 9 lbs daily is the goal.

But as has already been said searching is your best friend. All of the information Ive posted has came from hours of research but in the event that you absolutely cant find something, which sometimes happens, just ask.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 10:57 AM
Yeah, I search alot, but I am always finding folks in the middle of a build so its hard to gather where they started. I think I will start with the head and go from there. Thanks everyone for your help.

Sig'less since '02!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search