any 2.4 will work? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
any 2.4 will work?
Monday, August 23, 2010 5:05 PM
Well, my son wiped out his 97 Sunfire. I am now in the process of looking for a car with a bad engine to swap his engine with.

If I were to buy a Grand Am GT with a 2.4 engine, will the Sunfire GT engine swap out without any modifications?

Does it matter if the tranny is an auto or manual?

thanks....gary

97 Pontiac sunfire quad 4 auto

Re: any 2.4 will work?
Saturday, August 28, 2010 7:36 AM
Any ideas on this? Has anyone pulled a 2.4 out of another non sunfire pontiac and made it work?
thanks...gary

Re: any 2.4 will work?
Sunday, August 29, 2010 8:16 AM
it will swap rite in. you'll just have to use some of the grand am parts. i just did the opposite of what you're talking about. i put a 2.4 from a 00 grand am into my 97 Z24.
the upper engine mount and bracket that bolts to the block is different for sure, i think the lower engine mount and bracket may be different too (mine didnt come with one so im not 100% ). depending upon the year of grand am there may be a few minor mechanical differences too. if its 00+ it has no egr, different intake and exhaust manifolds, and different injectors/fuel rail. if its 96-98 you're pretty much good to go. basically all you'd have to do is use whatever comes with the GA. nothing too complicated.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Sunday, August 29, 2010 8:18 AM

Thanks Jon D
Sunday, August 29, 2010 8:20 AM
Thats is the info I was looking for.

Do you know anything about compatibility between stick and auto?

thanks again....gary

Re: Thanks Jon D
Monday, August 30, 2010 4:50 PM
very compatible. the motor i got from the GA was an auto, my car is a stick. all i did was take the flexplate off and bolted up my flywheel/clutch. should be just as easy the opposite way.

Re:
Sunday, September 12, 2010 7:30 PM
I have a 01 cavy with a 2200 lfi I'm looking for a ld9 tho what would be the best year and models to go for for the easier swap thnks R.K.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search